Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Santa Experiences Recommendations

• 25-09-2017 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We normally go to Amber Springs for the Christmas Train and Village, but cant make it this year.
    Any recommendations for north dublin?
    Tattersals in Ratoath dont do it anymore unfortunately..

Kids are 3 & 4..

Cheers!
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

We went to the zoo last year. Kids loved it, nice Santa & gifts. Booked again this year (online)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Icsics wrote: »
    We went to the zoo last year. Kids loved it, nice Santa & gifts. Booked again this year (online)
    Cheers, will have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

I have seen some ads already for booking for Santa looking for advice on what people recommend in Leinster area for an 18 month old ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Booking what? An 18 month old doesn’t understand/believe in Santa, so it’s whatever you prefer to do yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Booking a trip to Santa thought my question was obvious ? I was asking for advice on that not opinions on what my child believes or understands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Ok, I was wondering. Causey farm outside Kells is fabulous but booking early is necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ok, I was wondering. Causey farm outside Kells is fabulous but booking early is necessary

We did Causey farm last year for our two, and are doing it again this year as we loved it, we did the santa express at Palmerstown House for 2 years before that too and both are excellent, but at 18 months old I'm not sure if i'd be bothering with much more than the local grotto in your nearest shopping centre, Ours had zero interest at that age and were 3 or 4 before they showed any real interest or awareness about the whole santa thing.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

We did powerscourt with ours as baby’s and will do it again this year. It’s not an experience, it’s just a visit to Santa but the setting is lovely and they get a little teddy as their gift which I prefer to some plastic toy that’ll probably break.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My niece is 18 months and she loves photos and pictures of "ho ho ho", it's my nephew who's been showing them to her not my sister! Sister says Causey all the way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Any Santa Experiences Recommendations for 2019 can go in this thread :)

Also... can anyone help...
    CheerLouth wrote: »
    Did someone say that they have booked Causey Farm for Christmas? I'm debating it but it seems quite expensive - 80 quid for a family of four!

• Advertisement

Did someone say that they have booked Causey Farm for Christmas? I'm debating it but it seems quite expensive - 80 quid for a family of four!

I booked it on opening day. We went last year (family of 4) and loved it, so when we asked the kids where to go this year they jumped on going again. It does seem a tad pricey but all these kind of things are a little on the pricy side, IIRC the gifts the kids received were of a decent quality too though.
    Personally I thought it worth it as its an infrequent event & the 'santa' years are coming to an end soon for us so are trying to make the most of them.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

One of the ones we are doing this year is Christmas Island in Hidden Valley (Rathdrum). We went last year and was brilliant, you go on a train & a boat as well getting to see Santa (obviously!). Is not cheap (€16 for an adult and €22 for a child) and is a little far from North Dublin (doesn't take too long on M50/N11).

Also you cant beat Arnotts, have gone the last few years and is one my favourites.

My sister is the same with one of hers so she is pushing us big time. Ours are still quite little and we've never done an experience before. I'll give it some more thought!

To be fair, ours were 5 before we brought them to any of the christmas 'experience' events, up until then it was just Santas's grotto in the Blanchardstown SC. We felt they were a bit too young to appreciate them before then & one of them was freaked by the idea of meeting santa before then anyway & had refused to go in & see him, even in a family group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

DvB wrote: »
    To be fair, ours were 5 before we brought them to any of the christmas 'experience' events, up until then it was just Santas's grotto in the Blanchardstown SC. We felt they were a bit too young to appreciate them before then & one of them was freaked by the idea of meeting santa before then anyway & had refused to go in & see him, even in a family group.

Yes you see this is it. We normally just go to see the same Santa every year. He's just in the local toy shop but he is the real deal! Real beard, belly full of jelly chuckle, his suit is amazing! Plus he only lives down the road from us so we see him in the local pub quite often and the kids know him. I'm a bit worried that an "experience" would bring questions from our eldest about why the Santas aren't the same & I'm not ready yet to start explaining that Santa is a very busy man in the run up to Christmas so sometimes, he has to deploy stand ins!

My sister is the same with one of hers so she is pushing us big time. Ours are still quite little and we've never done an experience before. I'll give it some more thought!

The first couple of years we brought ELF1 to see Santa she cried and wouldn't go near him let alone sit on his knee. Was only when she was 3 did she seem to enjoy it at all and then last year she loved it and was yapping away to all the ones we saw like an old one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

We've been ridiculous, in that we brought #1 to Santa when she was 3 months old, and then to the Causey experience when 15 months.

On the other extreme my brother hasn't ever brought his 3 year old to any Santa. It's up to yourselves really.

If you are looking for a Santa experience for timid kids, Airfield is great because it is a group visit with Santa. All the kids sit on carpet and get told a story by Santa beside an open fire and then he asks them all individually what they want for Christmas (without having to go up to him). Afterwards you can go up individually and get photos if wanted, but there is no pressure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Stolen from another thread, might be useful to someone looking for their next Santa Experience :)
    washiskin wrote: »
    Also, I saw the Christmas at Centre Parcs ad last night. It looks magical, if the ad is to be believed. Small print said children from €18 iirc but I presume that's to see Santy only. I suppose it would be a nice, but not necessarily cheaper, alternative to Lapland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

After doing various Santa visits over the last 10 years I can safely say Causey Farm was by far the best. The other experience I'd recommend would be the Santa Train, however the tickets are like gold dust and will sell within seconds of going on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Whilst we are at it, does anyone know of a good Santa in Limerick around Chirstmas, or at a push Dublin city centre? also do you need to book these in advance?

Jude13 wrote: »
    Whilst we are at it, does anyone know of a good Santa in Limerick around Chirstmas, or at a push Dublin city centre? also do you need to book these in advance?

Jude13, replied in other thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Have done a few Santas over the last few years.

1) Tattersals in Ratoath
    2) Plamerstown House
    3) Rathwood in Carlow for 2 years
    4) Causey farm two years ago
    5) Lapland last year
    6) Lugwoods this year so no feedback yet.

They were all very good. Causey farm santa was top class.
    Palmerstown house was my least fav.

Seen this on Instagram it might be of some use. :)

14j9286.jpg

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've just booked Causey Farm based on this thread :) We always did Amber Springs, I think we've been the last 6 years, but last year they changed it around and they pretty much ruined it. The village used to be down in the fields, but this year it looked to be a car park behind the conference centre or something. Not at all festive and all you could see on the train part was a brick wall. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We are the same Toots, always done Amber Springs but was so disappointing last year

We were suppose to do it with the OH family this year however looks like it wouldn't happen now (brother in laws wife due early Dec) so not too disappointed by the sound of things.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ah we were so disappointed going home from it. My husband and I tried to keep up the festive cheer for the kids (even though inside we were like, wtf they've destroyed it) but when we left my son said "I had fun but I preferred the old way they had it."

We noticed the christmas cheer even seemed a bit thin on the ground among the elves, too. I wonder will there be a drop off in repeat business for it this year.

Toots wrote: »
    Ah we were so disappointed going home from it. My husband and I tried to keep up the festive cheer for the kids (even though inside we were like, wtf they've destroyed it) but when we left my son said "I had fun but I preferred the old way they had it."

We noticed the christmas cheer even seemed a bit thin on the ground among the elves, too. I wonder will there be a drop off in repeat business for it this year.

Certainly sounds like people wouldn't be going back.

On a different note, your username makes me smile as Elf2 is big into Thomas the minute so runs round the house shouting 'Toot, Toot' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Toots wrote: »

I thought it was dreadful too. They gave my 4 year old son a baby rattle. Santa’s beard was hanging off. He asked them their names and my kids were like, don’t you know us? He didn’t play along and was just dreadful. All the “elves” were too cool for school and wouldn’t engage with the kids. Hotel was absolutely packed at all times. Uncomfortably so. i actually though I’d ruined Christmas for them after it. This year it’s absolutely imperative that I get a santa with a real beard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Causey is amazing. Definitely recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

we took out oldest (6 now) at about 18 months to slane castle, place was lovely but it was a waste as he was too small. went back when he was nearly 4 and he loved it then.

Advertisement