Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renting a van in Cork city

Options
  • 03-09-2019 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

i would need a van in 1 or 2 weeks, since we will be moving.

problem is, i have a German drivers license for 15 years which does not have an expiry date, and only a debit card.

I've called many companies here in cork city now, and i can't rent a van with any of them.

they are either ok with the German drivers license, but want a full credit card, or they are ok with a debit card but want an Irish license.

how the hell can i get my hands on a van for 2 days or so for an affordable price?

there is one company in McCurtain Street where i can get a van, but it's 300 Euro.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Try getting a GoVan

Www.Gocar.ie

I'm not sure of the prices , but I think you're charged by the hour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Or..

Could you get someone else to rent the van, and have you as an additional driver.

Or

could you rent via Hertz.de or avis.de , or sixt.de etc and select cork as your pickup point.

Or.

Could you rent a people carrier and take the seats out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Get a revolut card? Transfer on the deposit and refund it back to your account afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

A Revolut card is still a debit card.

I got a credit card mainly for car rental and hotel bookings. Even if they do accept debit cards in both situations they could do "pre-authorisation" (with car rental they may call it a "deposit") where double the amount is temporarily debited from your account, which can be a pain depending on the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Have you tried http://www.drivevanrental.ie ?

Says they accept Debit Cards, as long as there's enough on the Debit card to cover the rental and the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

R.O.R wrote: »
    Have you tried http://www.drivevanrental.ie ?

Says they accept Debit Cards, as long as there's enough on the Debit card to cover the rental and the deposit.

thank you for the tip!

but i have found someone who has a big van and is willing to help me move.
    but I'll keep drivevanrental in mind, thanks!

Advertisement