Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Lebanese/Ethiopian restaurants?

Options
  • 26-08-2019 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Any ideas why Galway has so many Italian/ Spanish/Chinese restaurants but a lack of international options?!

Comments

Italian/Spanish/Chinese are international...
    I guess it is down to who have moved here over the years to bring it with them and / or to have travelled there and be familiar with the cuisine.

There aren't many Lebanese or Ethopians about.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I know it's not Lebanese but High Cafe offers Moroccan dishes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The place on Munster ave aswell,old four star building..if ya don't mind the spin there is a great one in athlone (Lebanese) .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Lebanese restaurants are one of the very few things I miss about living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Labenese food would be amazing. Manakeesh...
    Yep, gonna have to get me some this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I thought it'd be obvious- with a smaller market restaurant owners go with 'safe' options.

Lebanese restaurant could do well but it could be a big risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

I know there was a Jamaican restaurant on Abbeygate Street which I was quite surprised at given there wouldn't be a Jamaican community of any sorts in Galway.

Love Ethiopian food but I dont think there is even one in Dublin given its population size.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Paddico wrote: »
    I know there was a Jamaican restaurant on Abbeygate Street which I was quite surprised at given there wouldn't be a Jamaican community of any sorts in Galway.

Really? I know one person with a Jamaican parent. I'd expect there are a good few more.

But the restaurant is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, they had a lot of jerky chicken and quite a lot of west Africa food like jollof rice.
    I now have to make my own jollof rice, not as nice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Isn't there a Lebanese on Abbeygate St... Or am I dreaming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭worded

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Lebanese restaurants are one of the very few things I miss about living in Dublin.

I wonder are there many Irish restaurants in Lebanon

I know I was fond of Lebanese as a teenager

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Isn't there a Lebanese on Abbeygate St... Or am I dreaming?

Sicilian.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Yeah, I've thought for a while that the lack of Lebanese and Ethiopian food is a big omission for Galway, and I loved Jamaica Joe's. The guy behind it suggested a while ago that he was planning to reopen in a different location, but no sign of that since. It joins the Home Plate as one of the closed restaurants in Galway that are sadly missed. U Liotru, the aforementioned Sicilian place on Abbeygate Street, is good, I like the arancini.

Advertisement