Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colts Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭letowski

notobtuse wrote:
    Seems free-agent quarterback Brock Osweiler visited the Indianapolis Colts on Tuesday. He might make a respectable backup QB for the Colts this year.

One thing for certain is that Philip Walker is not related to a NFL QB. Chad Kelly has been decent this offseason but I wouldnt play him this year, I need 12 months to put any sort of faith in him. I think we will pick up a vet as QB2 and role with Brissett for the year as stater.

My prediction is we draft a QB in round one and tag Brissett to be a bridge QB. One player I like in the draft is Jordan Love (outside of Tua, Herbert and Fromm). I need to see more of Elhinger. Overall its actually a pretty decent draft for QBs

On another note Parris Campbell looked very good last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

I heard they also had a look at Brandon Wheedon and Matt Cassel too. Just Ballard doing his due diligence.
    If he signs a QB, I'd say it'll be some one from the cuts off other teams. At least they'll have played some time during preseason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Luck has really blown the division wide open.

I would have expected you guys to win out and for us/texans to be battling for the wild card, but its a lot closer now

Luck has really blown the division wide open.

I would have expected you guys to win out and for us/texans to be battling for the wild card, but its a lot closer now

Wouldn't count out the Jags either. They would've been some team over the years with a half decent QB and I think Foles will do well with them.

https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1168301745115750400?s=19

We are going to be swimming in cap space next year. $138 million dollars. Ballard isnt the type to spend big though. But it would be nice to get one big signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1168635665036271618?s=19

Takes away some uncertainty around what to do after the season at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Brissett could be better than people think, I'd be high enough on him to be honest. He's not good enough to start going all out to put pieces around him though, this definitely isn't the year.

It would have been, but it's not now...

I like the deal.

If it works out, we get a decent starting QB for 2yrs/$30m, which is very cheap. If it doesnt, we draft a QB next offseason and use Jacoby as the bridge QB. This deal ensures Jacoby gets his shot for 2 years, while also doesnt hurt the Colts both in terms of cap but also if they want to move on from Jacoby in the short term.

letowski wrote: »
    I like the deal.

If it works out, we get a decent starting QB for 2yrs/$30m, which is very cheap. If it doesnt, we draft a QB next offseason and use Jacoby as the bridge QB. This deal ensures Jacoby gets his shot for 2 years, while also doesnt hurt the Colts both in terms of cap but also if they want to move on from Jacoby in the short term.

But wouldn't signing Hoyer to a 3 year deal as backup not be a better bridge. I know in terms of cap space and all that, it won't make a difference.

And where does this leave Kelly with them two in place now? Practice squad after the week 2

But wouldn't signing Hoyer to a 3 year deal as backup not be a better bridge. I know in terms of cap space and all that, it won't make a difference.

And where does this leave Kelly with them two in place now? Practice squad after the week 2

Yeah its a good point. I think its bc they have Jacoby as their starter for 2 years and will back him through that time. We wont be able to draft a QB that can start as a rookie (with a medium/low pick), so Jacoby is the default starter for 2 years.

I think they signed Hoyer in the event of Jacoby turns out to be a good QB, he will be like what Hasselback was for Luck. If Jacoby doesn't work out this year, I think they will still start him in 2020, then draft a QB and cut Hoyer.

Kelly has more to prove imo.

• Advertisement

letowski wrote: »
    Yeah its a good point. I think its bc they have Jacoby as their starter for 2 years and will back him through that time. We wont be able to draft a QB that can start as a rookie (with a medium/low pick), so Jacoby is the default starter for 2 years.

I think they signed Hoyer in the event of Jacoby turns out to be a good QB, he will be like what Hasselback was for Luck. If Jacoby doesn't work out this year, I think they will still start him in 2020, then draft a QB and cut Hoyer.

Kelly has more to prove imo.

Only way for Kelly to prove anything is to get him on the field. Pity NFL Europe isn't on the go still, he could've gotten some field time then.

And I haven't seen of any reports of bad behavior either, so maybe he's turned a corner on that too - or I just cursed him and he'll be in the news tomorrow! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Hoyer is garbage - Brissett may actually have considerable upside, we don't actually know yet

Bateman wrote: »
    Hoyer is garbage - Brissett may actually have considerable upside, we don't actually know yet

I wouldn't say garbage - he's had a few good games.
    But I think the hope is he's just going to be the next Jim Sorgi - a great holder of the clipboard.
    He should help Brissett with plenty of advise as well.

I'm hopeful for Brissett as well. A full preseason where he was the number 1 guy, a good OL in front of him and play makers all around. It won't be like a few seasons ago where he had Hilton and that was about it.

So he won't have to do everything and as long as he's tries not too, I think it'll be fine.

Not good enough. Chargers just walked it in to win it in OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

kmart6 wrote: »
    Not good enough. Chargers just walked it in to win it in OT.

That's something you're going to say many times this season.

Very disappointing loss. Brissett played well to be fair to him. He wasn't the fault for the loss.

Defense was really bad. That's most disappointing given how much draft stock we pumped into it. Run D was terrible, we really missed Sheard. A lot of our front 7 are not big and physical enough in terms of getting of their blocks and getting a hit in. That includes Leonard. We don't have a natural run stuffing NT either. I'd like to think we will improve on pass D in the secondary, as they improve on playing more man coverage. We will have to wait and see.

Oline really took over the game with Mack, was the major positive. Receivers did fine when targeted, except for Ebron not hauling in that TD. Funchess has a broken collarbone I heard.

Vinnie, man..

Hard to know where we are. If Foles is out for the season, we still have a shot to make the playoffs. JB did well yesterday, in a pragmatic passing offense. He will be judged how good he is when Reich opens up the playbook. Our season will hinge on that. I think Run D and Vinnie is going to be a problem to be honest this year. Massive game nest week in Tennessee. That will tell a lot.

But what a catch by Hooker!

But what a catch by Hooker!

You beat me to it.........wow is all i can say !

Funchess to IR.

Funchess to IR.

We will miss him a bit. He brings something different, as a go to guy, especially with those back shoulder fades. Hopefully he can get back before the end of the season.

Just watched the game back this evening. Clayton Geathers looked really bad out there. Particularly in space. I know Ballard loves him the person, but he isn't great.

Also, as brilliant as our run game was yesterday, I'd be cautious with how much we use Mack. I'm not sure is he durable enough for 25 carries over 16 games. I spoke last spring that we needed to pick up a heavier short yardage back.

• Advertisement

I'm over in Indy for the game later, first time. Looking forward to it, really hope Mack and TY pass fitness tests otherwise it'll take away from it a bit more with Leonard out and Luck retired. The stadium is huge. Dominates the skyline.

First impressions:
    Stadium is unreal.
    Disappointed with the crowd, 3/4 full for a home opener.

First impressions:
    Stadium is unreal.
    Disappointed with the crowd, 3/4 full for a home opener.

That's disappointing. I don't know if its because of the Andrew Luck thing, or maybe we don't have the superstars like the 00's, or what. But we do have a very good young team, that's clearly going in the right direction under Ballard and Reich. They deserve to be fully backed by the city.

Good to get the W against Atlanta. I think Atlanta will great a win or two against a divisional opponent this year.

Arguably Jacoby's best game in his career. Playcalling was on point by Reich, used TY and the tight ends well. I liked that we tried to push the ball down the field as well. Jack Doyle had a good game, alot of fans think he is an easily replaceable type of player, but he is very integral to what we do. I don't think he ever comes off the field. Was a little disappointed we didn't see more from some of the younger receivers like Cain and Campbell with Funchess out and not having TY for the second half. Mack and the oline continued their good form. We are quite reliant on them to see out games. Offense was good today.

Defense up and down, good in the first half, struggled in the second, especially against the pass. That said, theyve an excellent pass offense with Ryan, Julio et al. Pass rush couldn't get there on 3rd down and the DBs had their hands full. I'd like to see more out of Houston to be honest. Autry is a bit of a feast or famine type of player by game. I'd like to see Eberflus be more aggressive, dial up blitzes and play more man coverage. We've struggled against experienced QB's like Brady, Rivers, Ryan, etc. who now how to dissect soft zone defenses. If we want to be a serious team in the playoffs, we have to play more aggressively to get off the field against the top offenses.

Raiders nest week in Indy. If we can get out to 3-1, that would be an acceptable start before head back to Kansas, before the bye week. Schedule softens up slightly after that.

Hooker out injured is a big disappointment.

Jesus, that was bad. It was as bad as the Raiders game last year too, only Andrew delivered under pressure in the Q4 and JB didn't. I taught if we could get to the bye week 3-2, that would be good, but that's not gonna happen now.

Our defense is playing so bad right now. I hate the playcalling but the players aren't performing either. Hunt and Autry are getting gashed on the interior and our were really missing Leonard on the second level. I think Walker and Geathers are poor enough at this level, even if they are the supposed leaders on D None of the defensive players Ballard has brought in from the draft, as well as Houston, are making an impact (with the possible exception of Willis). We invested 2nd round picks in Turay and Lewis, they haven't given much of a return either. Ballard must face criticism if most of these players don't make the breakthrough.

Offense was bad too. JB played a bad game and the receivers were worse. Can't always rely on the run game. People who taught we would head back to mediocrity when Luck retired look right so far. But we do have alot of players injured right now, it might get better, but by how much I'm now sure.

I think in the first half we dropped 4 perfectly good passes Ebron just wasn't at the races at all.

Defensive cover from the snap was just plain awful. A number of times Mack hadn't even made it close to the gain line before he was taken down by a Raiders player going straight through a gap in our line, a wide open gap.

I missed the 4th quarter but i knew from the start we just wouldn't get the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ThomasC94

Not to overreact or anything but the Colts are the greatest team of all time

Did not expect this result, and particurly the performance from the defense, when waking up this morning.

Looking forward to watching the full game now.

• Advertisement

ThomasC94 wrote: »
    Not to overreact or anything but the Colts are the greatest team of all time

I thought my phone was broken when i seen the result this morning:P

Advertisement