Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kovalev v Yarde

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from but I just don't agree.

The sparring will sharpen him, it will improve his shot taking and I guess you can say it would improve his tank on the basis that he would be absorbing body shots better for a start but I'd say it's marginal benefit personally in terms of pure cardio.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 54,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Take a great favorite of mine, James Toney. The man had an amazing fighters’ gas tank. Why? Well, because he was always so fluid and relaxed in the ring, and all he did was spar, very little else. The sparring gave him the relaxed confidence needed, and his mind and body were so accustomed to the fighting in the ring that sparring replicates.

If you don’t put in decent sparring, your body won’t be able to adjust and adapt as efficiently when it gets stressed in a fight. Yarde seemed to show this, if it’s true and to be believed that he does next to no sparring..

Btw, an awful shame with Yarde, because fundamentally and boxing wise, there is a lot to work with..

Final thing: There are always fighters here and there who are very fit in the ring without much sparring. Joe Calzaghe being a prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from but I just don't agree.

The sparring will sharpen him, it will improve his shot taking and I guess you can say it would improve his tank on the basis that he would be absorbing body shots better for a start but I'd say it's marginal benefit personally in terms of pure cardio.

Always found sparring to be one of the more strenuous parts of training certainly worked wonders for my cardio as a younglad

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't know how the hell you'd ever get your timing right if you weren't doing a bit of sparring. I always found that if I was off for a few weeks, even if I was running and training and staying reasonably fit, the first night or two back in the ring, my timing would be way off. (That's even allowing for me being a useless bollix)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Saw an interview with Pacquaio recently and he said he spars 30 rounds a day before a big fight so 12 rounds are easy and he can fight and throw a lot of punches right up to the final bell.
    If it's good enough for him then it's good enough for Yarde.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Is there any actual evidence that Yarde doesn't spar, or is it just hearsay?

I find it hard to believe he doesn't spar.

Maybe he doesn't do loads of sparring, but there's not a snowballs chance he doesn't spar at all. I just don't believe that.

And even if that crazy trainer of his says so. I'd say he's trying make people believe he doesn't spar

• Registered Users Posts: 54,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Maybe he doesn't do loads of sparring, but there's not a snowballs chance he doesn't spar at all. I just don't believe that.

And even if that crazy trainer of his says so. I'd say he's trying make people believe he doesn't spar

I was thinking this myself.

But it is likely that he does not do "enough" sparring....and his natural cardio engine isn't good enough to offset this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Only heard a commentator saying it during the match, haven't read it anywhere but it would be ludicrous if it is true.

Advertisement