Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Bus Services

Options
  • 17-08-2012 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭

Using www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/ I have compiled the attached map of Galway City bus services. However, I am not happy that I have it right. I have only added Bus Éireann and City Direct routes for the moment - I don't understand the other bus routes yet.

Some routes appear confused in the city centre.

Some of the minor detours would seem to be incorrect.

Any comments welcome.

Comments

The 411 departing Eyre Square North travels up Prospect Hill, right onto Bothar Ui hEithir, right onto Forster St, then onto Eyre Square South.

It uses Eyre Square East only on weekends, not travelling via the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The 405 Stops on the new road at Dunnes Westside and goes around the Corrib Park roundabout into town past the University and Cathedral. On the map it does not show a bus route straight ahead on the new bus lane

Pretty good for bus times if they are correct..

Justmary in the one who will put you right for the buses

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cazkeady

The 405E has updated it's route lately and now turns around in Ballybrit Industrial Estate, using the new bus-stop in the turn hook installed when the Morris Roundabout was removed.

http://galwaypublictransportnews.blogspot.ie/2012/08/route-change-for-bus-405-ballybane.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Its hard to understand why they did not put a bus stop at the front of Boston Scientific rather than in the middle of nowhere at that turn around.

The 405 going to Rahoon turns left from Lower Newcastle onto the Seamus Quirke Road, passing through the Browne Roundabout, onto the bus lane on Seamus Quirke Road.

I dont know if you are familiar with Galway, Victor; left turn above is just before AIB, route passes Public Analysts Lab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Its hard to understand why they did not put a bus stop at the front of Boston Scientific rather than in the middle of nowhere at that turn around.

Ya its suspect alright but that would have made to much sense and probably not in Bus Eireanns interest either. Council did not need to spend the money on it - but it was done to facilitate motorists turning right coming from Ballybrit Industrial Estate(McDonaghs Hardware direction) rather than Bus Users, sure they havnt even put in a bus shelter here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Updated map.

Remind me not to take directions from you lot. :)
    Storm 10 wrote: »
    The 405 Stops on the new road at Dunnes Westside
    Eh, which one would that be?
    and goes around the Corrib Park roundabout
    Browne Roundabout?
    On the map it does not show a bus route straight ahead on the new bus lane
    ???
    cazkeady wrote: »
    The 405E has updated it's route lately and now turns around in Ballybrit Industrial Estate, using the new bus-stop in the turn hook installed when the Morris Roundabout was removed.

http://galwaypublictransportnews.blogspot.ie/2012/08/route-change-for-bus-405-ballybane.html
    Ballybrit Industrial Estate or Ballybane Industrial Estate?
    The 405 going to Rahoon turns left from Lower Newcastle onto the Seamus Quirke Road, passing through the Browne Roundabout, onto the bus lane on Seamus Quirke Road.

I dont know if you are familiar with Galway, Victor; left turn above is just before AIB, route passes Public Analysts Lab.
    I haven't been there is 12 years, although I'm good with a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Victor wrote: »
    Ballybrit Industrial Estate or Ballybane Industrial Estate?

Just inside Ballybrit IE, right beside the top entrance to Ballybane IE.

If you zoom in to the map here you can see it pretty exactly.

'Fraid I can't be nearly so precise about Westside, I just don't get over there often enough to be 100% sure where stuff is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Galway buses are an absolute joke, I'd rather they were just cancelled so whatever tosser that makes money off them loses their job.

Buses every hour that might pass the stop 10 minutes either side of when they're scheduled, so you stand there like a c*nt thinking your bus is late until 15 mins later you realise it was too early.

There's nothing in Galway that isn't less of a walk than the frequency of these clownmobiles so unless one happens to be approaching a stop you're walking past there's little need for them. If it wasn't constantly lashing rain they would be rendered utterly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's nothing in Galway that isn't less of a walk than the frequency of these clownmobiles so unless one happens to be approaching a stop you're walking past there's little need for them. If it wasn't constantly lashing rain they would be rendered utterly useless.

Ahh, yeah, so you've never worked in Parkmore then.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Omg! this post is so helpful! Thaks!

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

Galway buses are an absolute joke, I'd rather they were just cancelled so whatever tosser that makes money off them loses their job.

Buses every hour that might pass the stop 10 minutes either side of when they're scheduled, so you stand there like a c*nt thinking your bus is late until 15 mins later you realise it was too early.
    Good job they're planning on extending the number of bus lanes around the city to improve reliability, isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

JustMary wrote: »
    Ahh, yeah, so you've never worked in Parkmore then.:rolleyes:
    In fairness Parkmore buses seem to be some of the most regular. I've sat at Eyre Square waiting for a Newcastle bus and had 3-4 Parkmore buses stop in that time.
    Good job they're planning on extending the number of bus lanes around the city to improve reliability, isn't it?
    I don't know why you're being sarcastic... yes it is good. Buses being late isn't much of a problem though, as if a bus is late you're only really going to have to wait an extra 5 or 10 min. It's when buses are early that you end up waiting up to 60 minutes, despite you getting there on time.

Though personally I think the extra bus lanes are pretty unnecessary when there's only one bus every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A quick comment on the Leap fares.

It seems that the flat fare does not allow transfers between buses.

I paid 1.96 on the 404 inbound, then tried to switch onto a 402 in Eyre Square, hoping the same fare would cover me - no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Things may have changed since this thread was started in 2012.
    Start a fresh thread if you like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement