Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis (moved out from Night buses)

Options
  • 30-08-2019 5:09pm

Just shows what you know .
    The taxi fares are done by a government agency .
    The national transport authority sets the fares charged.
    We as TAXIDRIVERS have no say whatsoever in what the NTA set fares at .
    Our meters are sealed ( regular checks done on our meters) of which we have no control over .
    In fact our last increase ( over 90% of drivers didn't want the NTA to pass it on) we were told to take it .
    But don't let FACTS get in of your moan about where YOU DECIDED TO LIVE and how much you have to pay to get home from galway city .

One or two local drivers don’t turn on the meter and do a fixed price and there’s one or two drives who will give me a deal going out home too but the local lads don’t work the city and the lads who do aren’t always working or have other bookings. I usually stay in town in a friends house to be honest it’s rarely I pay the taxi fare home unless I really have to.

One or two busses at around 2am/2:30am heading out of the city to the various country towns would get use and would make money imo if there was people willing to just do it. I’m not asking for a regular bus service, nor do I want one I drive unless I’m drinking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

One or two local drivers don’t turn on the meter and do a fixed price and there’s one or two drives who will give me a deal going out home too but the local lads don’t work the city and the lads who do aren’t always working or have other bookings. I usually stay in town in a friends house to be honest it’s rarely I pay the taxi fare home unless I really have to.

One or two busses at around 2am/2:30am heading out of the city to the various country towns would get use and would make money imo if there was people willing to just do it. I’m not asking for a regular bus service, nor do I want one I drive unless I’m drinking.
    But the nite buses should not simply be for out the country. they should be for within the city as well.
    Some of the city routes or slightly altered routes should be run late at night

Citylink has its bus from 1am to Dublin which is one of only buses you can get to towns outside of the city..
    their next bus then is 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Our meters are sealed ( regular checks done on our meters) of which we have no control over .
    In fact our last increase ( over 90% of drivers didn't want the NTA to pass it on) we were told to take it .
    But don't let FACTS get in of your moan about where YOU DECIDED TO LIVE and how much you have to pay to get home from galway city .

Nonsense. The NTA set the MAXIMUM fare. There is nothing to stop a taxi driver charging less than the meter price

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Nonsense. The NTA set the MAXIMUM fare. There is nothing to stop a taxi driver charging less than the meter price

By law , we must turn on our meter .
    So now you want a discount off the meter price .
    I will give a discount WHEN I GET A DISCOUNT FROM ANY OF THE FOLLOWING

Credit union ... Car loan
    Petrol station ..... Fuel
    Insurance company .... Insurance
    Car parts
    Mechanic
    taxi company.... Radio rent
    Bank .... Mortgage
    Esb
    Gas company
    So in other words .... NEVER
    .... Typical paddy Irish wanting something for nothing.
    I also do tours/ airport transfers ... Dealing with Americans.
    You give an American a price ...no moaning whatsoever
    90% give a tip on top ...but paddy Irish ....always looking for something for nothing .... If you obviously can't afford our rates
    Either walk / cycle or get the wonderful bus eireann service !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Car parts
    Mechanic
    Bank .... Mortgage
    Esb
    Gas company
    90% give a tip on top ...but paddy Irish ....always looking for something for nothing .... If you obviously can't afford our rates

Why would you be giving them a price if you are working on a meter? Surely you would say its whatever the meter tells me at the end of the journey?

I have an issue with you using the term "paddy", its a derogatory term that isn't needed. Everyone looks for services or products cheaper no matter where they are from or what race they are, no need to get so offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from Night buses as it was derailing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Car parts
    Mechanic
    Bank .... Mortgage
    Esb
    Gas company

So you complain that there was an increase but when it's explained that you don't have to charge it you complain that you will charge it. You can't have it both ways.

Car parts
    Mechanic
    Bank .... Mortgage
    Esb
    Gas company

Meter rates don’t make sense when outside the city they are just too high. You are covering Kms far faster and far more efficiently than in the city and the fare should reflect this.

I’ve got fixed prices of taxis many many times so plenty do it but as I said it’s mostly the local lads doing runs from the local pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Meter rates don’t make sense when outside the city they are just too high. You are covering Kms far faster and far more efficiently than in the city and the fare should reflect this.

I’ve got fixed prices of taxis many many times so plenty do it but as I said it’s mostly the local lads doing runs from the local pubs.

As you often remind us in the Accommodation and Property, the goal of someone in a business (landlord or taxi) is to make as much money as possible.

So fair play to the taxi driver that charges you the maximum fare.
    You don't expect landlords to give discounts, why should the taxi driver give discounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Car parts
    Mechanic
    Bank .... Mortgage
    Esb
    Gas company

Im not in Galway but I know how much I want to pay from town to home so that’s what I offer at the rank. If the first driver says no, I go to the next and so on until someone accepts my offer.

Advertisement