Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to running, knee injury

Options
  • 01-09-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, started running just over a month ago and i was enjoying it until i made a disaster of my left knee. I suppose i pushed it too hard too quick, i do quite a bit of cycling so my cardio would have led me to believe i could more than i should have :rolleyes:.
    Anyway i started running at 5km and built my way up to just under 7 when i managed to get this injury. I was running on the beach with the aim of possibly doing 8km a week ago, i had stretched before but the legs where feeling a bit tight. As i was running the knee started to gradually get a more and more sore until i had to start walking. This was only around 3.5km of running/walking altogether.

Long story short the knee still has a dull achey pain radiating from below the kneecap on the inside where the shin meets the kneecap. Its not unbearable but gets worse throughout the day, ive managed it with a mix of ibuprofen and paracetamol but i havent been able to do a tap of either cycling or running because of it. Does it sound like ive done major damage or just pushed to hard and my body wasnt ready yet? I didnt twist it, or pull it or do anything odd, just gradually developed while running. might as well add ive full motion of the knee and can put weight on it. Any ideas?

Im giving it till midweek and getting it checked if its still niggly

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sounds like you should get it checked anyway, if an injury is serious enough to stop you from running you should visit a physio I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I’m no expert but I’m similar to you in that I’ve a lot of cardio fitness from bike racing and am just getting to this running lark, it sounds like you’ve pushed it way too hard so early.

You need to dial it way back once you get over this injury, and keep it to more regular even ground than something like a beach.

My second ever run I tried to go for a 5k and ended up injuring my ankle, I’ve rehabbed it and am now following a plan that is bringing me through walk/run intervals 20 minutes at a time so far. It’s a bit irritating but you have to be patient, it seems to be working for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭plumber77

It's very common that someone new to running gets little set backs as they increase the load on the joints. Lots of potential reasons but possibly better go get it checked out regardless as it may be something that could happen again.

Advertisement