Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2019 - Round 13 Belgium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Sad to hear of Hubert's fatal accident. A great Racer. May he rest in peace.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I was surprised at how quickly broadcasters stopped the pictures. Pretty much no footage shown at all of the crash or aftermath. Proper order too if they were aware of how serious it was.
    It must not have looked at all survivable from the pictures they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

mickdw wrote: »
    I was surprised at how quickly broadcasters stopped the pictures. Pretty much no footage shown at all of the crash or aftermath. Proper order too if they were aware of how serious it was.

Lewis was being interviewed at the time, his reaction says it all

https://twitter.com/AlertaRacing/status/1167832731444830219

The Sun initially put spectator footage of the impact on their article and a Twitter image of a
    mid-crash close up of his helmet in the broken monocoque. Complete scummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Steve Jones just made the announcement of Hubert's death near the end of the F1 highlights coverage on C4.

And he struggled to make it too. Thought he handled it well

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It was Hubert’s car that hit wall?

Any news on the driver who smashed into Hubert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭This is it

walshb wrote: »
    It was Hubert’s car that hit wall?

Any news on the driver who smashed into Hubert?

Stable apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

The live broadcast was slow and did not pick up the first accident and only switched camera after 7 seconds which was then milliseconds after Correa's impact with Hubert. There is other clearer amateur footage of the accident which I have seen, it was evidently a horrific and potentially a life-threatening accident for any of the driver's involved so the broadcasters would have immediately realized the same, sadly Hubert lost his life and if Correa has escaped without any serious injuries he is very lucky

Ya I've seen the fan footage.
    It would appear once he was hit side on at speed that he would need luck on his side to survive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I recorded it but sat down to watch it after the rugby finished, unaware of what had happened at the time. In the immediate aftermath there was a flash to a camera angle which showed the Arden torn in two pieces. It was a momentary glimpse at something utterly horrific. I never wish to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Class act from Indycar today

EDUgcFPU4AAcZEN?format=jpg&name=small

Rest in peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Ferrari PR were getting a lot of slack for tweeting the qualifying times minutes after his death was announced

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I wouldn't have known much about Antione Hubert's career as a motorsport driver. But I did watch a short fan clip of the crash on YT this evening & I was horrified by the outcome of it. It was just so shocking to see it happen so suddenly. It was like relaying the images of Billy Monger's F3 crash in my head when he lost his legs when he talked about it from his BBC III documentary on BBC Two in January. Yes Billy Monger did survive the crash but Jules Bianchi, who is Charles LeClerc's godfather, didn't have that luxury of surviving his huge F1 accident. He died in his mid 20's. It shows us that competing in something like motorsport is primarily not a safe thing to do when people take part in it as a career when may not fully take stock of the whole surroundings around them when they are out on the race track. If you do something wrong in the sport which has the potential to endanger your life so abruptly; the effect of that pain spreads very rapidly to other people to others who do love you & care for you throughout your whole life. I watched Steve Jones announcement about Hubert's death just before the end of the highlights coverage on Channel 4 this evening. It just felt like a body blow to him when he was saying it to the TV audience out on camera. He just felt awful about what happened to Antione. He did his best to relay the message to the F1 viewers who had missed the race earlier that day. I do wonder about how the Channel 4 team will handle the reaction of this news tomorrow because, as a mark of respect to Hubert's family & team mates, it has been officially confirmed this evening in the statement above that the F2 race which was due to take place at Spa tomorrow has been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,643 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That is terrible to hear of that young Formula 2 driver killed. May he Rest in Peace. Too young.

I hope there is a minutes silence for him tomorrow by the F1 drivers before the race starts.

Only just watching the Channel 4 highlights now but it seems unimportant after hearing that this driver was killed. It really brings the danger of the sport back to the front. They can have Hans devices and Halos but it only takes one freak accident like this today for us and the drivers to be reminded that this is still a dangerous sport and sometimes all the safety devices in the world are just not enough.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

New day. Let's just hope, for the sake of Anthonie, we have a great entertaining race today.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

flazio wrote: »
    New day. Let's just hope, for the sake of Anthonie, we have a great entertaining race today.

Indeed a sad day yesterday, let’s hope we have a classic multi driver battle for the win, it should be a decent 4 or 5 way battle for victory, depending on verstappens pace. Be interesting to see how ricciardo, raikkonen and Sainz get on also.

I think the entire race weekend should be called off when there is a death on track.
    It makes little of it when everything is full speed ahead immediately.
    I know there are commitments / contracts tied up all over but this type of situation should be accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I understand where you are coming from, but nobody in the paddock, including Anthonies family see the continuation as an insult to his memory. Life has to move on, learning from what has happened.
    Same as when somebody tragically loses their life on a public road. Road is closed, investigation is carried out , road is open again next day and everyone carries on with their lives.
    A lot of people when someone dies ask themselves "what can I do now?" and in many cases the answer is "do what you do best". They are racers. They will race.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

That's a great piece

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

I think the entire race weekend should be called off when there is a death on track.
    It makes little of it when everything is full speed ahead immediately.
    I know there are commitments / contracts tied up all over but this type of situation should be accounted for.

I agree with the sentiment but don't believe this would ever happen, even if it was a F1 driver killed in practice/qualifying it is debatable if the race would actually be called off. There are too many committments as you have mentioned and the reality is that the race viewership would be probably increased in such a situation.... you know what the likes of sports broadcasters are like, the show must go on unfortunately. Also imagine if Imola 1994 was cancelled due to Ratzenburgers crash in qualifying on the Saturday. Arguably there were less commercial committments back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

skipper_G wrote: »

I recorded it but sat down to watch it after the rugby finished, unaware of what had happened at the time. In the immediate aftermath there was a flash to a camera angle which showed the Arden torn in two pieces. It was a momentary glimpse at something utterly horrific. I never wish to see it again.
    I am incredulous that such catastrophic damage can still occur at this level of motorsport in 2019. The major improvements in safety made by F1 have clearly not been even partially implemented throughout the lower formulae. No professional racing driver, in this day and age, should be exposed to even the risk of being killed or suffering life changing injuries as a result of what is the failure of governance in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Indestructable

chicorytip wrote: »
    I am incredulous that such catastrophic damage can still occur at this level of motorsport in 2019. The major improvements in safety made by F1 have clearly not been even partially implemented throughout the lower formulae. No professional racing driver, in this day and age, should be exposed to even the risk of being killed or suffering life changing injuries as a result of what is the failure of governance in the sport.

What utter, utter nonsense.

Motorsports is dangerous. The only way to avoid injury completely, or worst case death, is to cancel it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Lance-Stroll-Racing-Point-GP-Belgien-Spa-Francorchamps-Formel-1-Freitag-30-08-2019-article169Gallery-81744eca-1623437.jpg

This should give teams idea's, looks like a great photshopped print

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

skipper_G wrote: »

This is horse****. It was a complete freak accident.

Can bosses learn from this? Of course they can, but to even suggest that they haven’t implemented safety improvements or to blame the governance of the sport on a complete freak accident is pie-in-the-sky, flat earth, anti-vaxxer levels of conspiracy and bollocks.

The fact you’re politicising this is a disgrace. There’s a lot wrong with the governance of the FIA, but there is very little they could have done to prevent a car smashing the barrier and then getting t-boned at high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what could they have done diferently.
    it was a freak accident

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

I think that's the straw, it's ignore list time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

I think today will be the day Charles win. Mercs will lose too much time on the straights.

I think today will be the day Charles win. Mercs will lose too much time on the straights.

Here's hoping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

What is the Ferrari race pace like though? Can they hold back the Mercs & Max for 44 laps? I do have a feeling though that Charles will get the job done today...

Advertisement