Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Satisfactory. How to be lazy!

• 27-08-2019 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

I am a big Fan of Factorio and it took the Crown of my Favorite game of all time. When Satisfactory was announced I was more then excited! Unfortunately I was off PC gaming for over a year, but playing Factorio again rekindled my PC gaming enthusiasm.
    So I just had to get Satisfactory and see whats that all about. I am still early game with 15ish h in, but I can say right now that even if both games have same Idea of making machines do stuff for you, both games are Unique how they do it. Choosing between both of them is like choosing between your two children. :D

It was a while since I played game and needed to doodle something on a paper, before doing something in game. Well, I went to town yesterday just to get a small noted pad just for that!

I needed to make better Modular Frame production and bigger scale. So here how it went:

My doodle of the plan, yes yes, it looks crap, but it worked!
    4a5CeGn.jpg

Then Ground floor used to make Reinforced Iron plates
    0j1StC1.jpg

Different angle
    ozcoa2x.jpg

And finished product with 1st floor. Left space for expansion too. Will need to put roof on this bad boy.
    l7yDRO0.jpg

And thats how you make Factory to make 8 Modular Frames per min. Now I need to plan out how and where I will make Motors!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If had to give some advice, go look for
    Caterium early, it unlocks heavy electrical stuff that is SOOOO helpful
    . Also, hunt around and try to find
    the crashed drop-pods. Sometimes the hard-drives you find will give a new blueprint to make screws with straight iron bars, really sped up my production in the early game immensely

I had to stop playing it, could lose hours placing and tearing down and rebuilding construction lines. Very addictive. Probably jump back in when another content patch or two arrives, stopped just before the Nuclear & Trains stuff came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    If had to give some advice, go look for
    Caterium early, it unlocks heavy electrical stuff that is SOOOO helpful
    . Also, hunt around and try to find
    the crashed drop-pods. Sometimes the hard-drives you find will give a new blueprint to make screws with straight iron bars, really sped up my production in the early game immensely

I had to stop playing it, could lose hours placing and tearing down and rebuilding construction lines. Very addictive. Probably jump back in when another content patch or two arrives, stopped just before the Nuclear & Trains stuff came out.

Wow, at least one here who appreciates good factory games. It has to grow! :D

You spot on with alternative recepies. I managed to get that iron bars to screws and it is so damn good! It actually really helped me with my computer production.
    Managed to get independent from my main factory computer plant. 3.7 computers per minute almost sustainable without shortage. Just need or add a few plastic processing plants to be in surplus of parts. That actually pushed me in to making first train route from oil processing plant.
    Still, very proud of it. It's a big factory that makes computers without my input. Fully automated. That's pretty much the only thing left to go tier 7. Have all 1000 motors and 900 steel frames made already. All automated.

Really really love this game. Unfortunately I only play it on my days off.

I think its more the whiny opposition to the Epic Games Store than anything :rolleyes:

Getting computers up and running automatically takes a while but very nice to finally automate. Ive components coming from all over the map, I would post up pics of some of my factories but would give anyone with even slight OCD nausea! Do have a pic of the bridge I made to allow a truck to ship oil barrels to be processed.
    4KNrInX.jpg?1

Coal power!!!...and a very precariously placed space elevator.
    Ns3Aj3c.jpg

More coal power...because f**k the atmosphere!
    v8GpjBi.jpg

Nothing to see here! Just an ordinary, innocuous building!
    DoNVXjh.jpg

Oh...apart from that. Oil refineries and the computer assembler (with parts coming in the other side).
    5hKRxt4.jpg

Gunmonkey, I agree with you. A lot of people overlooking this really good game due to whole drama. Their loss to be honest. And by the looks of it on Reddit, still a lot of people butthurt over it and ignoring the game.

I actually really try to avoid all floating platforms thing. If I have to, I usually build support towers for esthetics. I do have one pure coal electricity plant that is a floating platform lol. It's out of sight, so all good. :) I really try to make everything look like actual factory.

Coming from Factorio for me is another challenge. Here it is a bit simplified, but just getting one machine build you computers without your input and not starve on some material is respectful achievement. You can mass produce a lot easier on Factorio as it's so much bigger scale and complexity.
    I really really love both games and both are unique with their own flavour.

So for my favorite thing is verticality of it all. It really opens up your solution when you stop thinking in 2D and go Full 3D. :)

Thats what I feel too. Satisfactory is a bit more of an exploration game given the 3d world, takes a bit more thought to navigate as you have to scale cliffs and such. Not played Factorio but can imagine the 2d plane is easy enough to explore (aliens eating your face being the exception)

That and some stuff can be hard to find; searched half the map looking for a sulfur node as needed just a few pieces more to unlock scanning for it....nowt! Checked online out of frustration....there was one 50m from my main site, tucked within a bunch of trees I had cut a path about 20m parallel to.

• Advertisement

Thats what I feel too. Satisfactory is a bit more of an exploration game given the 3d world, takes a bit more thought to navigate as you have to scale cliffs and such. Not played Factorio but can imagine the 2d plane is easy enough to explore (aliens eating your face being the exception)

That and some stuff can be hard to find; searched half the map looking for a sulfur node as needed just a few pieces more to unlock scanning for it....nowt! Checked online out of frustration....there was one 50m from my main site, tucked within a bunch of trees I had cut a path about 20m parallel to.

Factorio is really amazing and I really recommend it if you like Satisfactory. Factorio does not have exploration part, but it has a tower defence element to it and a lot higher complexity. In fact after I get nuclear power and all the tier 8 production running, I will go back to Factorio and try to survive death world setting, until more patches come out for Satisfactory.

I find scanner to be a bit funny. Sometimes I long some recourse and it only finds stuff far away, then I stumble on some recourse right I was looking for right at my doorstep.

I had a proper day off so put some time in to my factory. After tidying up my computer production thanks to alternative recepies I have 3 machines pumping computers with overstock on all parts.
    After that I decided to finally find some quartz and bauxite. Some exploration later I found some. Then spent 6h making a train loop from quartz to my oil product facility. Planing on making aluminum and other quartz bots here and then sending it from here to my main base with another train which is already bringing plastic and rubber.
    Really proud of my train quartz delivery. It's about 2k meters away in caves. And now fully automated delivery. :)
    Bauxite will be tricky to bring. It's not that far, bit it's waaaaaay up on the cliff. Not sure how will I tackle it. Try to get train all the way up there or just do an ugly belt and lift contraption down to scoop it up with train.

I think I found a spot with 2 quartz nodes beside each other, started a miner -> conveyor path but gave up half way as it was hard to get the conveyors alongside the cliff.

Im thinking with the trains I should just restart, so much going back and forth with conveyors in ugly ass factories where a nice rail system from centres of production would be better. Or just stockpile a ton of resources and wipe almost everything (next update will have mass deletions according to the devs).

I think I found a spot with 2 quartz nodes beside each other, started a miner -> conveyor path but gave up half way as it was hard to get the conveyors alongside the cliff.

Im thinking with the trains I should just restart, so much going back and forth with conveyors in ugly ass factories where a nice rail system from centres of production would be better. Or just stockpile a ton of resources and wipe almost everything (next update will have mass deletions according to the devs).

I found a spot with two pure Quartz. Very lovely spot. Pain in a hole to get too, but worth it. As I said, took me 6h to do train loop. It's 2k away from where I brought it up and another 1k away from main base.
    I skipped whole truck automation and went for pure trains. They are basic in satisfactory, but my experience with Factorio helps a lot. Don't really have those horrible long belts going across horizon. Only steel coming on dedicated recourse bridge over belts and extra iron from near by big mine. Everything else is in outposts and brought up by trains to main base.

Thought I'd rez this, as Update 3 is out on Exp Test, and also Satisfactory is now listed on Steam, probably for a late March release https://store.steampowered.com/app/526870/Satisfactory/

As someone who follows the development on CS's social media, the pipes appearing made me burst out laughing.

• Advertisement

I presume it will be out on steam around 19th of March as it's when exclusive deal ends. Pretty sure I'll just buy it on steam again and play there. Nothing against Epic store, it's just a chore having an extra launcher for one game.

Sow trailer myself yesterday and it's just brilliant. At least they have proper sesne of humor.

I got game after update 2 and I did everything. Had train system, automated nuclear power etc. Really proud of my Factory. I made sure to make it look like factory with separate buildings etc. It wasn't just outdoors sky platforms.
    Even had a separate factory for weapons and explosives too. :)

Well at least the new update has big pillars so I can slap those underneath to avoid hover-factory syndrome :D
    I did start again, as the changes warranted it, I feel. Managed to find some wild hunks of Sulfur and Caterium early, which let me unlock the scanning quickly. Having Caterium power poles before you even hit tier 3 is great, as opposed to the 20 hours for my first game.

Feck it, could not wait lol. It's day off so I downloaded experimental branch. Damn... So good to be back. :D
    Haven't reached new stuff yet, but I already see some small qualify of life improvements.
    Started in woods this time, don't really want to start over in plains again. Something different and I love space restrictions.

And how do you tame a Lizard dogo?! I never met in my first save, but he met me pretty much at the start of the game!!!

Hah I started in the woods too, but I think I took a wrong turn and setup on a cliff overlooking the entrance to the desert area :p

Took me altogether too long to realise the M.A.M. is now a standalone structure, as opposed to appearing inside your Hub.

Im plugging away, just got my first 4 coal plants up and running, so had to contend with supplying water to boil. Tried for ages to figure out why my pipe with almost a pump every 2 metres wouldnt pump up a wall, even though its meant to have a threshold of 20m
    turns out they have directions, and had one pump pushing the water back down the pip
    :rolleyes:

Now, spotted a nice 4 coal / 1 iron spot across the lake, so time for some steel smelting!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,598 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ressssssurection!

The game is now on Steam and yeah while I have some epic games, eh, I’d rather it in my steam library, just an odd tick. I already have 100 hours in the last week but lots of that the game just ran in the background owing to it being so chill and non-survival like. Whereas in space engineers that game would have me playing in bursts online out of fear of other players and threats to my very survival, running out of power, etc. - here, once you have coal, and have killed all the rage inducing fauna in your surroundings they stay dead and things are pretty relaxed to the point you just slurp on your equipped coffee and whip out pen and paper to plan things. And speaking of space engineers **** that game over this one, I liked SE for automating **** anyway, this does it so, so, so much better, and I don’t have to spend hours searching for a resource I can just ping it? WHAT!

I took the mountain start, and I don’t entirely regret it but I’ve had to tear down the base every couple of tiers as I found new alternative recipes, unlocked new foundations and transportation options, cleared more brush, and over analyzed everything. But, it’s better than spaghetti, which gets really stressful. Then you just have belts and tubes Criss crossing everywhere. Getting quite challenging to keep the logistics straight for mid game items like rifle ammunition. I still haven’t unlocked the monorail and I know that will be a hurdle when I do, trying to see how that fits in with what I’m looking to do.

I went through hell and back looking for an alternative recipe for screws and I finally found one, though in the end I took to abusing saves and reloads, waiting out the awful 10 minute time-gating, not before a load of bountiful exploration though. The alternative was the default screw recipe which, by mid game, is woefully lacking in output, you either need to overclock (requiring ridiculous excess of power) or have dozens of constructors making screws if you want to produce anything downstream at the advertised rate. Ugh. Any other starting area I guess that’s less of a problem, and by now I’ve explored most of those. The desert looks like a prime candidate for base two, but will require me relying on all these pure nodes in the mountains.

A few days of scribbling on scrap paper, then notepads, I have now gone back to one of my unused college notebooks to use to keep all my recipes handy, my layouts, etc as well as I think will become a bit of a ledger on how my oil/petroleum products are consumed. The fluids are a recent addition to the game and they add serious curve! Coal power plants require water to drive their steam turbines, which can only be supplied by pipes maxing at 300 m^3 which becomes a math and routing challenge quickly at scale. I’ll post some screenshots of my coal plant and oil refinery setups when I’m back on the computer. Oil is particularly fiendish because you have to keep all your inputs and outputs balances almost perfectly between production and consumption: if you produce nothing but rubber and plastic and don’t process the leftover oil residue, it locks up the production cycle, for example, unless you flush it manually periodically from a drain tank or by further refining the residue into fuel etc - which itself must be used by some means or the same problem will persist downstream, requiring you to flush unspent fuel to keep the production of plastics and rubber going..

Stellar game that’s worth every penny and there appear to be tiers that have yet to be released by the devs, with a number of collectibles in the world still marked as WIP with future functionality in mind. I have to assume that, given the trajectory of the game they will add some sort of flying vehicle. I wouldn’t say no to them expanding the world map but I’d say that’s further down the pipe if at all, the size of the world may be a conservative limitation to keep the engine working properly, since all of your buildings and automata function normally regardless of where or how far away you are. I just wish there was a bit more flat open space where I was at, then again I can rip off the bandaid and start designing a multi story factory - the reason I hold off is uncertainty in how large a floor needs to reasonably be to house it’s own production.

Also this is not a spoiler this is a fair warning: don’t try to pick up the uranium until you are PROPERLY equipped to! I tried to just rush forward and grap some, hoping the intense radiation from the deposit would be a momentary hazard and collecting it would unlock more research like some other pickups in the game do. Instead it irradiated my inventory and therefore every effort to recover my items resulted in a chain of swift deaths. Don’t repeat my folly. Fortunately I was able to roll back my save before it auto saved past my blunder, it took me a few deaths to realize what was happening, once I noticed the radiation field was becoming localized to wherever my most recent corpse fell :pac:

Cute animated short

Update 5 is being teased now for this fall - probably gonna drop in October if I had to guess based on their hype schedule for previous updates. To include significant changes to portions of the map. Also a warning from Devs that Spire Coast will be totally revamped, so building factory there is discouraged (however, no resource nodes in the game are changing position, so your factories will still run, you just might clip buildings through terrain you'll no longer be able to access to modify).

A $1 DLC was announced that will allow to flush the toilet in the hub. Yes, I'm serious, and yes, I'm willing to pay it, tip to the devs. Will probably show up for 1.0

From their roadmap for the game map it looks like there are at least 2 updates planned for it: 1 for Update 5 and 1 for [what is either 1.0 or update 6]

But the #1 reason to reinstall? ->

Advertisement