Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus Cabin Baggage - check in for a fiver!

• 31-08-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭

Not entirely sure that this is any different than just charging a smaller price for a smaller checked luggage bag..."cabin baggage check-in" a bit of a contradiction in terms.

"Dear Guest, we invite you to start your journey stress free and take advantage of cabin baggage check-in for EUR5.00 by credit or debit card at Dublin Airport. We hope this offer will make your experience in the airport easier as you'll save time and avoid the stress of unpacking and repacking at security. Simply go to Desk 32 at Dublin Airport with your boarding pass, check in your cabin bag for EUR5.00, proceed through security to your boarding gate and collect your bag at your destination."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

No mention of the wait to collect the checked in item at your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

No mention of the wait to collect the checked in item at your destination.

Yes, but they only said that they were inviting you to START your journey stress free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

As you say, it's a total contradiction - if you check it in surely it's not cabin baggage any more.

Why someone would choose to pay extra to check in something they can bring on board for free is beyond me but, speaking from experience, there seems to be a lot of particularly stupid people in airports so they'll probably get a few takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

I can understand some people using it. A lot of people with young kids propably don't want to have the hassle of bringing their bags through security, especially if the airport is busy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

As you say, it's a total contradiction - if you check it in surely it's not cabin baggage any more.

Why someone would choose to pay extra to check in something they can bring on board for free is beyond me but, speaking from experience, there seems to be a lot of particularly stupid people in airports so they'll probably get a few takers.

It makes perfect sense, all the cabin baggage doesn’t fit into the aircraft lockers anyway, so a good portion of it will be tagged at the gate and placed into the hold. You’re only really safe from the scenario if you’ve paid for priority boarding.
    Why lug your stuff through security and have the liquid restriction enforced only for your bag to end up in the hold anyway. This is a convenient way to avoid the high fees of regular checked luggage and avoid the liquid restrictions and pain of the security rigmarole with cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

On baggage can somebody help me, just booked flights to the canaris for 4 adults 1 child and a toddler, I without thinking booked the lowest/cheapest level, saver? So couldn’t book seats which with the kids is a pain. I tried the manage bookings on their site but I can’t add them on now, does anybody know if I can add them when I check in online? Don’t mind paying but would like to have it sorted. Also how far ahead can we do online check in?

salmocab wrote: »
    On baggage can somebody help me, just booked flights to the canaris for 4 adults 1 child and a toddler, I without thinking booked the lowest/cheapest level, saver? So couldn’t book seats which with the kids is a pain. I tried the manage bookings on their site but I can’t add them on now, does anybody know if I can add them when I check in online? Don’t mind paying but would like to have it sorted. Also how far ahead can we do online check in?

Should all be on the website, I think you can check in sometime like a month before hand and pay to select seats, or wait for 30 hours beforehand to pick what seats are remaining free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Locker10a wrote: »
    Should all be on the website, I think you can check in sometime like a month before hand and pay to select seats, or wait for 30 hours beforehand to pick what seats are remaining free.

Only had a quick look at the website couldn’t see anything but I’ll have a proper look tomorrow

salmocab wrote: »
    Only had a quick look at the website couldn’t see anything but I’ll have a proper look tomorrow

It will all be there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I've always checked in my hand luggage for free at the desk, far less bother! Charging a fiver for it is a bit cheeky - instead they'll just have more bags to gate tag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

I made use of the 5 euro check in bag last week.
    I brought a bigger bag and was able to bring my toiletries aswell which was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

It is extremely handy as you can pack security unfriendly stuff such as liquids.

It is extremely handy as you can pack security unfriendly stuff such as liquids.

at the expense of waiting for it on the other side I suppose. I can see why different people might have a different view, but charging is a little ott, you'd think they'd be glad to have the extra space in the cabin allowing boarding to quicken up a bit.

at the expense of waiting for it on the other side I suppose. I can see why different people might have a different view, but charging is a little ott, you'd think they'd be glad to have the extra space in the cabin allowing boarding to quicken up a bit.

They’ll still tag bags for free at the gate when necessary, at the end of the day they’re a profit driven company, and staff and check in desk space cost them money, so if they can make a little back and at the same time offer a product that’s attractive to some people then why wouldn’t they. I’d personally prefer if it was a free service but hey, they’re a business after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I'm overall a happy Aer Lingus customer, but was a bit disappointed to see them charging for this service. Any other non 'no frills' carrier are open to and even encouraging of you checking in your hand baggage if you walk up to the desk, entirely free of charge. Meanwhile aer lingus are seeking to make a fast buck through such a basic act.

On another note, what's with those flimsy pieces of paper they give in the machines downstairs for boarding 'cards'? It's literally like having stuff printed on toilet paper. I've gotten into the habit of printing my pass upstairs at the machines before security because of it, you get an actual boarding card there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Thought it wa odd that they charged for the service in Dublin on the way to Fuerteventura but the same service was free on the way back earlier in the summer.

They’ll still tag bags for free at the gate when necessary, at the end of the day they’re a profit driven company, and staff and check in desk space cost them money, so if they can make a little back and at the same time offer a product that’s attractive to some people then why wouldn’t they. I’d personally prefer if it was a free service but hey, they’re a business after all.

I'm on a plane now, and they are begging people to leave their carry on at the stairs for collection at the carousel. Charging in advance seems unhelpful in minimising excess hand luggage later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The problem I've found is only getting this message one way so you have to pay the full check in fee on the return leg

Caranica wrote: »
    The problem I've found is only getting this message one way so you have to pay the full check in fee on the return leg

I’ve not know any of the outstations to charge the €5, they generally do it free from experience

I'm on a plane now, and they are begging people to leave their carry on at the stairs for collection at the carousel. Charging in advance seems unhelpful in minimising excess hand luggage later.

I’m getting the impression this is a trial, as it’s not advertised anywhere as an official product. If it’s not working and causing delays during boarding then they’ll have to go back to the drawing board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I think it's a good initiative. 

It's completely optional and up to the passenger to decide, some will really see the advantages like those travelling with small children or those with slight mobility issues, some will just want a hassle free journey through the airport and are willing to pay the small fee. 

It makes the passenger experience better, Aer Lingus makes a few quid and reduces boarding times or issues at the gate, everyone's a winner. The only thing I'd say is that it needs to be rolled out accross the network, far too many of these initiatives are Dublin only which is inconsistent. The airline needs to communicate company policies to handling agents around Europe much better and have things implemented properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I think I would pay 5 euro to avoid the lottery of will I or won't I be able to take my bag on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Caranica wrote: »

That's exactly why we didn't bother trying it when going away with the kids recently. Being able to shove larger toiletries in the case then check in for a fiver was appealing, but not if you cant bring it back again without paying 20 or whatever it is.

BigMoose wrote: »
    That's exactly why we didn't bother trying it when going away with the kids recently. Being able to shove larger toiletries in the case then check in for a fiver was appealing, but not if you cant bring it back again without paying 20 or whatever it is.

You should maybe contact Aer Lingus to get clarification on this but I’m pretty sure you can still drop hand luggage at the desk at their outstations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

You should maybe contact Aer Lingus to get clarification on this but I’m pretty sure you can still drop hand luggage at the desk at their outstations.

So travel from Dublin, pay 5eu, travel from anywhere else and it's free? That seems odd, they're basically telling you it's a free service and should be, but in dublin we'll chance our arm at taking 5eu off you.

1123heavy wrote: »
    So travel from Dublin, pay 5eu, travel from anywhere else and it's free? That seems odd, they're basically telling you it's a free service and should be, but in dublin we'll chance our arm at taking 5eu off you.

Hence I think it’s testing the water/trial

Advertisement