Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blinded by the light

• 13-06-2019 6:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

This film is just brilliant. Feel good but In no way fluff. Your typical Comin of age story but done in such a way it’s elevated above it’s peers. That might be the Springsteen fan in me talking :) a young Pakistani lad in Thatchers 80s England, discovers the Boss and girls and his family aren’t happy and his mates are what you’d expect of the time:)
    Can’t say enough good things about it.

https://youtu.be/f1YFA_J5JBU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

It’s being released in Ireland next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Saw it at an Unlimited screening and opinion ranges from grand to good. Certainly some interesting moments and threads there. I think being a bigger Springsteen fan certainly helps; some heavy handed moments of sticking in a song.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bruce music, I'm sold

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Bruce music, I'm sold

Poster before you might have the right of it. You might enjoy this more if you’re a Bruce fan. But he’s kind of a wallpaper in the story. Kind of. Hard to say more.
    It’s just a good feelgood coming of age story with a very different background than were used to.
    Personally I loved it. Seen it twice now and with friends and they loved it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw the trailer at the cinema last week. The film looks good

• Advertisement

I'll be seeing it on Friday

It was very good

I saw it last night, it was good. A bit cheesy in parts but still very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

I loved it. Went with my Bruce obsessive dad, and god it was like seeing his story told through a British Pakistani boy’s life! I think it would definitely help to be a Bruce fan going to see it, but it has so much joy in it. Pure cheese at times but such a sweet film.

I feel like there’ll be a stage musical made yet!

Apparently it was a book first? And Bruce read it and loved it?
    He gave the guy his full support and let the songs be used for it. I can only imagine what that must have been like for him. He’s been to see Bruce live 150 times :)
    This could be huge in the states with the right push I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

Apparently it was a book first? And Bruce read it and loved it?
    He gave the guy his full support and let the songs be used for it. I can only imagine what that must have been like for him. He’s been to see Bruce live 150 times :)
    This could be huge in the states with the right push I reckon.

I was amazed to see that at the end, he’s the first person I’ve seen beat my dad who is at about 50 live shows now! Loved the use of I’ll Stand By You Always in the credits, written for Harry Potter and never released officially before, at least it gets a proper outing now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

would younger teenagers get something out of it?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »

I’d say so. Can anyone know the minds of young teenagers? :)

I’d say so. Can anyone know the minds of young teenagers? :)

ill have to start playing some Bruce tunes around the house. i'd be on board for the 80's nostalgia

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The main characters are teenagers so I’d say they would. The nostalgia would be wasted on them obviously, but they might enjoy seeing a world of Walkmans, cassettes and cars that don’t start in the morning.

Did anyone notice that the day after his mate gave him two tapes, he came in the next day quoting lines from The River - but the tapes were Born in the USA and Darkness on the Edge of Town?

el_gaucho wrote: »
    The main characters are teenagers so I’d say they would. The nostalgia would be wasted on them obviously, but they might enjoy seeing a world of Walkmans, cassettes and cars that don’t start in the morning.

Did anyone notice that the day after his mate gave him two tapes, he came in the next day quoting lines from The River - but the tapes were Born in the USA and Darkness on the Edge of Town?

Didn’t catch that!! Good spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Not a fan of Bruce Springsteen but respect the man. Loved the film regardless.

It's certainly inspired by a true story....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

watched this last night in Sligo Omniplex - only 2 other people in there!
    I thouroughly loved the film - was it because I was born in 1965 5 miles away from Luton and grew up and went to work in Luton in the 80's and just worked 5 minutes away from Bury Park - I dunno

But one thing that struck me was that I was expecting the whole film to revolve around a Springsteen soundtrack - however I was surprised (pleasantly, because I am not really a Springsteen fan at all to be honest) of the other 80's music they played through the film - took me back, as well as the music taking me back of course the scenes of the area, the shopping centre , the town centre the school and housing estate I was flabbergasted how the director nailed it to how I remember it all in the 80's . that could not have been an easy task!

so anyway if I distance myself that I lived and grew up near Luton where it was set and if I distance myself about being a fan of Bruce and shove that to one said I particulary think it was a very good film taking you through a journey of the main character, his struggles of not fitting in, hating the town he as in , wanting to make a better life for himself, the times he lived in full of un-employment, racism and economic struggles there was plenty of a story there to be interested in - some cheesy moments yes, some very good uplifting moments throughout the film but with some gritty realities of real life bunged in for good measure, the music of the time, the retro look of the town at that time and the technology - and an insight into a strict Muslim family with strong family values with a character who still wanted to live his life the way he wanted to live it but at the same time respect his father and his family.

i cannot see what there would be not to like about this film whether you are a Springsteen fan or not and regardless where you lived or grew up .

watched this last night in Sligo Omniplex - only 2 other people in there!
    I thouroughly loved the film - was it because I was born in 1965 5 miles away from Luton and grew up and went to work in Luton in the 80's and just worked 5 minutes away from Bury Park - I dunno

But one thing that struck me was that I was expecting the whole film to revolve around a Springsteen soundtrack - however I was surprised (pleasantly, because I am not really a Springsteen fan at all to be honest) of the other 80's music they played through the film - took me back, as well as the music taking me back of course the scenes of the area, the shopping centre , the town centre the school and housing estate I was flabbergasted how the director nailed it to how I remember it all in the 80's . that could not have been an easy task!

so anyway if I distance myself that I lived and grew up near Luton where it was set and if I distance myself about being a fan of Bruce and shove that to one said I particulary think it was a very good film taking you through a journey of the main character, his struggles of not fitting in, hating the town he as in , wanting to make a better life for himself, the times he lived in full of un-employment, racism and economic struggles there was plenty of a story there to be interested in - some cheesy moments yes, some very good uplifting moments throughout the film but with some gritty realities of real life bunged in for good measure, the music of the time, the retro look of the town at that time and the technology - and an insight into a strict Muslim family with strong family values with a character who still wanted to live his life the way he wanted to live it but at the same time respect his father and his family.

i cannot see what there would be not to like about this film whether you are a Springsteen fan or not and regardless where you lived or grew up .

That’s an insight I hadn’t considered. Being from there you’d have a more detailed view.
    I didn’t want to being up the racist stuff the main character goes through just cos there’s enough if the hate out there and on these very boards. But the message and the heart of the film transcends that by miles and miles.

Glad you liked it. I would have sang out loud along with all the songs had the cinema been that empty. They might have joined in :)

for me it was a mixture of good with some cringe, there was this scene with a dance sequence in the market, my son turned to me visibly cringing and said this better be a dream sequence. I was more interested in the Roops character who stole the scenes, i'd have preferred the movie from his perspective. This movie was like have Ferris Bueller's Day off from Cameron's perspective if that makes sense.

• Advertisement

ill have to start playing some Bruce tunes around the house. i'd be on board for the 80's nostalgia

Born to Run one of my faves now after watching the film. However I never have seen the official video to Bruce's song (or know if there was even one?) - but what I do see now when I listen to this song now is yer ones running through Luton :D

for me it was a mixture of good with some cringe, there was this scene with a dance sequence in the market, my son turned to me visibly cringing and said this better be a dream sequence. I was more interested in the Roops character who stole the scenes, i'd have preferred the movie from his perspective. This movie was like have Ferris Bueller's Day off from Cameron's perspective if that makes sense.

really though with a lot of musicals or movies based on a musical scene one minute they could be talking away and just burst into singing and dancing spontaneously - look at 'the greatest showman' for example LOL :D

Born to Run one of my faves now after watching the film. However I never have seen the official video to Bruce's song (or know if there was even one?) - but what I do see now when I listen to this song now is yer ones running through Luton :D

i was humming the tunes last weekend after seeing the movie. there was plenty of good 80's nostalgia in it.

Biggest surprise to me was that when I heard the film was to come out I though 'Blinded by the light' song was brought out by Manfred Mann's Earth Band - so then had to look up and found out Bruce wrote it and sung it! - Shooketh I was! :eek:

all that time growing up think this band wrote the song:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is on Amazon prime for anyone who didn't see it in the cinema like me!
    Not a huge Springsteen fan but I really liked it.
    The acting was excellent (especially the lead) as was the entire look of the film.
    It really did a great job of mixing the music into the film both the Springsteen songs and the other songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

great film , watched it in the cinema when it first came out . i grew up in Luton through the 80's and could resonate a lot with this movie. even if you didnt come from Luton or the UK its still a pleasurable film to watch for anyone - great soundtrack as well not just all springstein songs but other songs too and a roller coaster of emotions through the film

Advertisement