Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilbarry recycle centre - new charges

• 23-08-2019 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I do my best to recycle as much as possible. Any large cardboard I get I keep and then about every 2 months I bring it down to the recycle centre. What I also brought down was my used cooking oil rather than throwing it in my black bin. Went down today and was told there is now a charge for cardboard and cooking oil. The cardboard charge was minimal but the oil is €1 per litre. I'm paying €1.30 for the oil in the supermarket and now have to pay another €1 to dispose of it. Is this any way to encourage people to recycle ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No on the face of it - but there's another way to look at this - stop using cooking oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

i tear up my cardboard boxes in to smaller pieces. Then recycle it in my green bin. I crush cans and plastic bottles.
    makes More room in the bin

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i tear up my cardboard boxes in to smaller pieces. Then recycle it in my green bin. I crush cans and plastic bottles.
    makes More room in the bin

Recycle cans for free at bottle banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Someone I know was determined not to dump their old mattress at the side of the road somewhere, but equally determined not to pay 20 or 25 euro at the recycle centre.
    Apparently they stripped the mattress one evening in the garage, took out the metal .... springs etc ..... and brought those to recycle centre for no charge.
    The mattress covering and filling went by degrees in the appropriate bin for collection.

I guess it was worth the price of a few pints :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Max Powers wrote: »
    Recycle cans for free at bottle banks.

This.
    I can never understand anyone putting cans and bottles in the recycle bin when you can get rid of them for free. Silly really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Re Mattress

I did the same, Stanley knife, took the material off and got a bolt cutters out, took it apart bit by bit and put it in the right bins

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

It takes a bit of work with a box cutter, but packing cardboard will compost to nothing in a maintained compost heap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Any big cardboard box that I get, I leave out in the rain , softens it up, you can then fold/squash it up and it will fit into your recycle bin.

I have an old mattress I was trying to get rid of (currently at the bottom of the garden)
    and I emailed KK co. council about if there was going to be another "Mattress Amnesty" day - the guy came back and said , they don't plan on running it for a while , as the last time they did it, they got 622 in 4 hours !!!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

greenspurs wrote: »
    Any big cardboard box that I get, I leave out in the rain , softens it up, you can then fold/squash it up and it will fit into your recycle bin.

I have an old mattress I was trying to get rid of (currently at the bottom of the garden)
    and I emailed KK co. council about if there was going to be another "Mattress Amnesty" day - the guy came back and said , they don't plan on running it for a while , as the last time they did it, they got 622 in 4 hours !!!!

we do the same, works a treat

was told before, mattresses are the bain of landfill operators, regularly clogging up drilling machine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

greenspurs wrote: »

Does that not ruin the rest of the contents of the bin though? Is it not all supposed to be dry?

I just cut any big boxes I get with a stanley knife

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Spocker wrote: »
    Does that not ruin the rest of the contents of the bin though? Is it not all supposed to be dry?

I just cut any big boxes I get with a stanley knife

I was leaving cardboard out in rain and then putting it in the brown compost bin, I was told that's perfectly ok cos its compostable

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was leaving cardboard out in rain and then putting it in the brown compost bin, I was told that's perfectly ok cos its compostable

Composting it is one thing, putting a soaking wet cardboard box in a recycle bin is another.

Recycle stuff is supposed to be dry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Cabaal wrote: »
    Composting it is one thing, putting a soaking wet cardboard box in a recycle bin is another.

Recycle stuff is supposed to be dry

he said the brown bin, not the recycling bin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

he said the brown bin, not the recycling bin

The first poster to mention it said recycling bin so it's not really clear.

We've tried to compost cardboard in the past and a lot of the shinier stuff seems to have a plastic coating on it. The brown cardboard breaks down fine as long as you take any tape off.

As far as I know a lot of "recyclables" are incinerated these days anyway.

Advertisement