Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Donegal house getting UK /Belfast stations and Saorview.

• 27-08-2019 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just moved into a house in Milford. There's an existing roof aerial setup with tv points in every room that gets all the Northern Ireland (UK) channels and Saorview fine.

Saved us rushing into a tv provider but there is one problem. If any of us use our phones / wifi, the picture can break up like crazy.

I've no idea why or how this is happening, but am looking for suggestions on how to stop it if possible. Pity that none of the Freeview channels in Northern Ireland seem to be in HD, but happy enough for now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

ZB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

Probable poor cable, unscreened outlet plates, poorly fitted coax plugs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,730 ✭✭✭✭muffler

zaphodbeeb wrote: »
    Pity that none of the Freeview channels in Northern Ireland seem to be in HD
    There's a few of them in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

muffler wrote: »
    There's a few of them in HD.

If you're picking up channels from NI you should be picking up some HD channels probably at least BBC1/2/UTV/Ch.4/Ch. 5 They will be further down the epg.

If you're picking up channels from NI you should be picking up some HD channels probably at least BBC1/2/UTV/Ch.4/Ch. 5 They will be further down the epg.
    Yup! I have all those together with the SD versions

Quick reminder although slightly off topic that there will be a retune needed for NI Freeview next week (Sept. 4th).
    See - http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/95033/700MHz_Clearance_Q3_2019_UTV_v2.pdf - Pages 8-11 cover NW NI transmitters.

• Advertisement

Quick reminder although slightly off topic that there will be a retune needed for NI Freeview next week (Sept. 4th).
    See - http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/95033/700MHz_Clearance_Q3_2019_UTV_v2.pdf - Pages 8-11 cover NW NI transmitters.
    I was checking a few days if my saorview signal would be affected but Im in the clear on that front. However I did read alright that I'll have to re-scan for the freeview channels on the 4th. but Im sure its something a lot of people may not be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Re your original post, and the interference.

Have you checked your Signal Strength and Signal Quality?
    (Probably somewhere in your manual tuning menu)

One simple tip re minimising interference is to ensure aerial cables are not touching other leads. Is interference caused on more than 1 TV or just main TV? If it is the main TV only check the cabling behind the TV, if it is all TVs the signal may be borderline and need a boost. Also is there a distribution amplifier in roofspace? If not and signal is split to points in each room then it is almost certainly a borderline signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Not much I can do re the cables touching each other, there's a backbox on the wall with four cables coming out of it (messy job) two of which are satellite and two RF Aerials.

Not sure how to check signal strength of the RF.

I do have an RF signal booster but didn't want to connect that to what I'm pretty sure is already a boosted signal due to distribution amp in attic?

Not well up on this stuff, but appreciate the help!

-ZB

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

How is the distribution amp powered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

zaphodbeeb wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. Not much I can do re the cables touching each other, there's a backbox on the wall with four cables coming out of it (messy job) two of which are satellite and two RF Aerials.

Make sure you're connected to the right one: the other is probably a return feed for a Sky box RF output. (Feeding & powering the distribution amp in such a setup.)

Advertisement