Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mugging up the mountains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭buffalo

recedite wrote: »
    10 minutes of fast descending, then hide or go into a cafe. Maybe you could also take the car keys or let the air out of their tyres before leaving the scene.
    If you're not up for that, you don't have to deploy the cs spray.

Who the **** is riding this bike, Liam Neeson?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Stand upwind.
    Fail to plan - plan to fail.
    'sorry guys, i just need to move around behind you while your mugging me, if you don't mind'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm disappointed with the reports, rather than shocked. All around up there is pretty notorious for car break in's of walkers and tourists - particularly the PS I Love you bridge.

Hard not to be a bit put off going up there solo tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Pepper spray is fine but I figure if you're going ahead with it, gouging the eyes clean out of the sockets would offer longer term options for escape or set things up nicely for a prolonged torture session. With that in mind, I suggest always carrying some pliers, rope, caustic soda, petrol, 22oz estwing hammer, a small electric drill and elbow length gloves when heading up the Sally gap on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Daroxtar wrote: »
    22oz estwing hammer.
    Yes, I recommend the Geologist hammer.
    Not that I've ever done any archaeology or fossil hunting, but I do have an extensive collection of hammers and axes.
    Free postage too, so you can't go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiczYuE66LkAhXJxYUKHVwJDYsQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sideshowcollectors.com%2Fforums%2Farchive%2Findex.php%2Ft-112235-p-56.html&psig=AOvVaw0PHuJH0ORObh1NSWmIUqTU&ust=1566987822521267

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

tumblr-lv5xlm46-MA1qcga5ro1-500.gif

Ah hah. Finally inserted a gif. Anyway - maybe the joker was on to something with this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

CramCycle wrote: »
    I didn't say I didn't believe it, I said that it is identical to a similar report last year or the year before (Sargent said they had no such reports for two.three years), no local stations seem to have any knowledge of it bar twitter. It may have happened, it may not, only Ian on twitter knows for sure at this stage. And yet again, arming yourself for it seems preposterous in the extreme.

Maybe the Sargent I talked to just hadn't been told, maybe the super at the station that it falls under missed it in the updates ?!? i honestly don't know, maybe someone has a bit of the auld Walter Mitty going on. I know which one seems more likely at this stage but happy to be shown that I am mistaken, I just won't over react to it though.

None of this really matters as, some of the responses around here seem insane, pepper spray, improvising an allen key as a shiv (I extrapolated this from your bike repair tools could be used as a weapon). Christ on a bike, if completely true, we all know now, you see two young lads hanging out near the gap, turn around before you reach them. This said most of the young lads I see up there are too busy getting stoned or burning out the car they nicked from Rathfarnham that morning.

I had an accident. Reported it to Garda station. AS did the other person involved. Neither Gardai in the same station knew of the other person investigating. Even after I'd them that both of us reported, I got calls for 2 separate cases by 2 different Gardaí in the same station who hadn't a clue that one of their colleagues was investigating the same incident.

While, I do have some doubts myself, it will never cease to amaze me that Gardaí would be completely unaware of reports, coming into their own stations let alone another one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Yes, I recommend the Geologist hammer.
    Not that I've ever done any archaeology or fossil hunting, but I do have an extensive collection of hammers and axes.
    Free postage too, so you can't go wrong.

Call me a stick in the mud, but something like a GPS tracker concealed on the bike and a personal alarm might be a wee bit more pragmatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Weepsie wrote: »
    I had an accident. Reported it to Garda station. AS did the other person involved. Neither Gardai in the same station knew of the other person investigating. Even after I'd them that both of us reported, I got calls for 2 separate cases by 2 different Gardaí in the same station who hadn't a clue that one of their colleagues was investigating the same incident.

While, I do have some doubts myself, it will never cease to amaze me that Gardaí would be completely unaware of reports, coming into their own stations let alone another one.

I would have very little faith in the gardai to be honest. Mugging of cyclists is something that had occurred to me as a very likely possibility. Think about it, a deserted country road, a solitary rider on a bike costing several thousand euros, if the thieves are burly and outnumber the cyclist, it would be like taking candy from a baby. I dont have an expensive bike but it would be inadvisable to cycle hills alone if one did.

• Advertisement

Yea this is seriously true, I've seen it a good few times where a normal guy takes a few years of boxercise or even MMA etc. and thinks they could take one or two rough scrotes. What they don't take into account is the fact that in these situtations, real fear can take over (shakes, awful decision making) & the safe set up they're used to when sparring feels like a million miles away.

If there's ever a situation where you're about to enter a fight, decide if you could still manage to win if they had a concealed knife, if not, just give the bike/phone/car away.

Agreed entirely. Had many years of competitive full contact martial arts myself in my younger years. Great the way the ref can step in or your corner can throw in the towel when you're having the living shít knocked out of you before you get seriously injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Pepper spray is fine but I figure if you're going ahead with it, gouging the eyes clean out of the sockets would offer longer term options for escape or set things up nicely for a prolonged torture session. With that in mind, I suggest always carrying some pliers, rope, caustic soda, petrol, 22oz estwing hammer, a small electric drill and elbow length gloves when heading up the Sally gap on the bike.

Daroxtar... Deroxter... Dexter...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Would any cyclists be broadcasting their location depending on their Strava settings? if you wanted a pool of potential victims with nice bikes....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you have to nominate specific people with beacon, if that's what you're thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

silverharp wrote: »
    Would any cyclists be broadcasting their location depending on their Strava settings? if you wanted a pool of potential victims with nice bikes....

in fairness, you don't need Strava to find cyclists in Wicklow on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Think I will just start going up there earlier than normal hopefully these guys will still be in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

nannerby wrote: »
    Think I will just start going up there earlier than normal hopefully these guys will still be in bed.

Or be busy robbing houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

loyatemu wrote: »
    in fairness, you don't need Strava to find cyclists in Wicklow on a Sunday.

fish in a barrel in fairness, I just hope talking about it doesn't make the idea go viral.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Macy0161

fish in a barrel in fairness, I just hope talking about it doesn't make the idea go viral.
    I would have that concern too.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I would have that concern too.

Whether or not it did happen, this would be my concern, the amount of publicity it's got must have a few scrotes having lightbulb moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Homer

Statler wrote: »
    Whether or not it did happen, this would be my concern, the amount of publicity it's got must have a few scrotes having lightbulb moments.

One of the cyclists who had his bike robbed has been posting in this very thread???? What do you mean whether it did or didn’t happen? Read the thread before posting :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

All this talk was of pepper spray.. pepper spray is illegal in Ireland. It is classified as carrying a weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭secman

Balders93 wrote: »
    The gardai who responded to me were based out of Bray if you really want to follow it up and get to the bottom of this. Agreed though that prepping to get into a fight is madness if you've been cycling for a couple of hours at that point and are wearing cycling shoes.

Balder, a couple of questions, as i often cycle on my todd on early morning spins on Saturdays. Did they litetally drive car at you forcing you off the road ?
    Had you noticed them prior to this ?
    Did you manage to get the reg no. ?
    What kind of car was it, saloon, estate, as the rare ocassions i put bike into car, say going fir a service, ive to take both wheels off, the front one needs the quick release to be twisted almost off before tge wheel drops out.

Sorry to hear about it happening to you, ill leave all the Liam Gleeson Taken scenarios to others to debate :)

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Homer wrote: »
    One of the cyclists who had his bike robbed has been posting in this very thread???? What do you mean whether it did or didn’t happen? Read the thread before posting :cool:

I did read the thread, perhaps you should too, you'll find there's some doubt as to whether or not the incident happened, which is why I said 'Whether or not it did happen...'
    I never said I didn't believe the OP, I actually do, but there seems to be a fair few who don't. I just find it hard to believe this doesn't happen more often.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Homer wrote: »

A random person posted on an anonymous internet forum, I believe it is the person but maybe cool the jets on getting up in someones face who didn't say it didn't happen, it is really not an important point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭secman

CramCycle wrote: »
    A random person posted on an anonymous internet forum, I believe it is the person but maybe cool the jets on getting up in someones face who didn't say it didn't happen, it is really not an important point.

We do know his real name though it was reported in general media and stickybottle. I'm curious about the incident and have asked the victim a few pertinent questions as a opposed to a few Die Hard suggestions :)

secman wrote: »
    What kind of car was it, saloon, estate, as the rare ocassions i put bike into car, say going fir a service, ive to take both wheels off, the front one needs the quick release to be twisted almost off before tge wheel drops out.

Was wondering about this as well, stolen bike was a 58 frame. Need to take the wheels off and have at least one seat down to get my 56 frame Rose into the back of a Kia Ceed. Both back seats down on a reasonable sized estate would be minimum at a guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

We do know his real name though it was reported in general media and stickybottle. I'm curious about the incident and have asked the victim a few pertinent questions as a opposed to a few Die Hard suggestions :)

I know that, I meant balders93, no reason to doubt he is not Ian but it wouldn't be the first time someone has signed up for sh1ts and giggles. I believe it is him by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I think Cram's point is that:

1. We don't know that the poster above is the person reported in the media with absolute certainty.
    2. We can't know with certainty if what the poster describes as having occured is an accurate description of what occured with absolute certainty.
    3. We don't know that what was reported to have happened in the media was a fair reporting of what the victim reported to the gardaí or to the media.
    4. We can't know if the media reports reflect what occured to the alleged victim with absolute certainty.

The application of Occam's razor suggests that the number of assumption required to believe that the above poster is the person reported in the media is equal to the nnumber of assumptions required to believe the opposite, and therefore both are equally valid.

I choose to believe that he is who he says he is and that what he alleges happened occurred broadly as he is claiming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Balders93

Balder, a couple of questions, as i often cycle on my todd on early morning spins on Saturdays. Did they litetally drive car at you forcing you off the road ?
    Had you noticed them prior to this ?
    Did you manage to get the reg no. ?

Sorry to hear about it happening to you, ill leave all the Liam Gleeson Taken scenarios to others to debate :)

Ta

They rammed me from behind with the front corner of their car bringing me down instantly.
    I hadn't noticed them, if they'd been tailing me it can't have been for more than 10-15 seconds before they took the opportunity.
    I didn't get vehicle deets, but a motorcyclist who saw them speeding off got partial information and I think it was an 05 Nissan Almera.
    They were struggling to get it in and drove off without closing the boot on it when they saw the motorcyclist getting near. Proper amateur stuff from them tbh.

Advertisement