Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs in belfast

Options
  • 22-08-2019 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

So I have a couple of gigs coming up in early November in Belfast and I’m wondering is there anything confirmed that I’ll need to bring aka visa passport etc or are the details about the October exit from the Eu still unknown?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭fafy

So I have a couple of gigs coming up in early November in Belfast and I’m wondering is there anything confirmed that I’ll need to bring aka visa passport etc or are the details about the October exit from the Eu still unknown?

There are no restrictions for Irish or UK citizens travelling between Ireland & UK, and vice versa, Brexit has no impact on that, at all, as its a Common Travel Area agreement, between Ireland & UK, which predates the EU.

More info here:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/freedom_of_movement_within_the_eu/common_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_uk.html

I love going up to Belfast, have visited a few times for gigs, but the licencing in pubs is extremely strange. Saturday night late, its actually difficult to get a drink after 1am, most are locked up by 12.30. Its not impossible, just very few places are open beyond 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

fafy wrote: »
    There are no restrictions for Irish or UK citizens travelling between Ireland & UK, and vice versa, Brexit has no impact on that, at all, as its a Common Travel Area agreement, between Ireland & UK, which predates the EU.

More info here:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/freedom_of_movement_within_the_eu/common_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_uk.html

I love going up to Belfast, have visited a few times for gigs, but the licencing in pubs is extremely strange. Saturday night late, its actually difficult to get a drink after 1am, most are locked up by 12.30. Its not impossible, just very few places are open beyond 1am.

Ah good to hear the common travel area isn’t effected I go up a lot myself for gigs and find is a nice place to go for a few beers afterwards to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Ah good to hear the common travel area isn’t effected I go up a lot myself for gigs and find is a nice place to go for a few beers afterwards to be honest.

Agree with this. Any Belfast gig I've been to has been better than any gig in Dublin. They love their music up there and the crowd always seem more into it with less event junkies looking for those important insta likes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I dislike Belfast, I am from near Toomebridge in midde of state, I dislike everything about it, the accent, the culture, I only go there when I need to go to the airport, I dislike this state for the most part actually, it was a curse to be born as a 21st century Ulsterman, it would have been ok before the days of industry, now you have to spend your days in miserable little towns full of industrial estates but that is a discussion for another lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I dislike Belfast, I am from near Toomebridge in midde of state, I dislike everything about it, the accent, the culture, I only go there when I need to go to the airport, I dislike this state for the most part actually, it was a curse to be born as a 21st century Ulsterman, it would have been ok before the days of industry, now you have to spend your days in miserable little towns full of industrial estates but that is a discussion for another lifetime.

And..... ‘gigs’......?

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    And..... ‘gigs’......?

I go to England, though I am giving Dublin a try from November so I will let you know how I find Dublin, I haven't been since 2007 but I was only a teenager then, less bitter and cynical

I go to England, though I am giving Dublin a try from November so I will let you know how I find Dublin, I haven't been since 2007 but I was only a teenager then, less bitter and cynical

I won’t be expecting raving reviews you seem like the kinda guy who’d suck the joy out of literally anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I won’t be expecting raving reviews you seem like the kinda guy who’d suck the joy out of literally anything.

Living in Toome will do that to you...

I love Belfast. Lived up there as a student and still venture up for gigs all the time.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Forster

One reason why bands are so well received in Belfast is that we don't get anything like the same number of bands especially small to mid sized in popularity bands that Dublin gets so we appreciate those that venture here.Venues like the Empire Music Hall are class and great for the bands too.

Forster wrote: »
    One reason why bands are so well received in Belfast is that we don't get anything like the same number of bands especially small to mid sized in popularity bands that Dublin gets so we appreciate those that venture here.Venues like the Empire Music Hall are class and great for the bands too.

This ^^^

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Well would you expect a metal fan to be a fun loving type of fellow? If you go to a metal concert don't complain about seeing a miserable looking misanthropist there, I was laughing at the Slipknot thread earlier with people asking if the crowd would be friendly. You are right, don't expect a great review about Dublin, Dublin is a Viking settlement and former English stronghold who paints itself as the Gaelic capital of Ireland, that alone gives me a migraine when I think of it, I'm actually going to buy paracetamol in Lidl now funnily enough.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Living in Toome will do that to you...

I love Belfast. Lived up there as a student and still venture up for gigs all the time.

I live in the real Ulster, Belfast is a "new age" place where the young hipster population go to live in, one of my favourite hobbies as a cultured country boy is driving around townlands and trying to figure out where the borders are, it is sad to see the overpopulation of rural Ireland, townlands are becoming rural housing estates.

Well would you expect a metal fan to be a fun loving type of fellow? If you go to a metal concert don't complain about seeing a miserable looking misanthropist there, I was laughing at the Slipknot thread earlier with people asking if the crowd would be friendly. You are right, don't expect a great review about Dublin, Dublin is a Viking settlement and former English stronghold who paints itself as the Gaelic capital of Ireland, that alone gives me a migraine when I think of it, I'm actually going to buy paracetamol in Lidl now funnily enough.

Well thanks for proving my point I suppose.....

I live in the real Ulster, Belfast is a "new age" place where the young hipster population go to live in, one of my favourite hobbies as a cultured country boy is driving around townlands and trying to figure out where the borders are, it is sad to see the overpopulation of rural Ireland, townlands are becoming rural housing estates.

The thread is about gigs in Belfast. There aren't many gigs in The Elk or Arby's...

Advertisement