Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gamescom Experience

Options
  • 25-08-2019 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

I went to Gamescom this year and I'm driving back in the car from it now. I found it really boring and poor overall mostly because of over crowding.Would take 45 minutes queuing to try games.

The lack of hygiene on some of the people that attended was unreal, especially as they seemed to have no concept of personal boundaries. I've never been anywhere with so many people that smelled like they never got a shower in their life.
    If I go next year I will use an industry pass (company I work for develop software including some games related software so can get passes) as the amount of people seemed to be more manageable from looking at youtube videos from the first few days (you couldn't move on the Saturday as their where so many people).
    I had to go on Saturday this time as I wanted to bring my son, otherwise I would have went on one of the other days.

Have others had a better, worse or similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

deceit wrote: »
    I went to Gamescom this year and I'm driving back in the car from it now. I found it really boring and poor overall mostly because of over crowding.Would take 45 minutes queuing to try games.

The lack of hygiene on some of the people that attended was unreal, especially as they seemed to have no concept of personal boundaries. I've never been anywhere with so many people that smelled like they never got a shower in their life.
    If I go next year I will use an industry pass (company I work for develop software including some games related software so can get passes) as the amount of people seemed to be more manageable from looking at youtube videos from the first few days (you couldn't move on the Saturday as their where so many people).
    I had to go on Saturday this time as I wanted to bring my son, otherwise I would have went on one of the other days.

Have others had a better, worse or similar experience?

Great, that's convinced me to never go to any conventions. Unless they are in East Asia, where people don't sweat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Any shred of interest I had in going to one of these conventions disappeared when a rumour spread that someone took a dump waiting in line at Gamescom last year & people believed it was possibly true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Great, that's convinced me to never go to any conventions. Unless they are in East Asia, where people don't sweat

Their is a big difference between smelling from being in a hot cramped convention and the smell of someone who hasn't washed in a month +.
    My partner would be the last to comment on other people but couldn't stand the smell of some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Only thing that has ever turned me off going to one of these conventions is the overcrowding.
    How can anyone enjoy the experience.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

They get something like 200,000 bodies through the door at Gamescom, don't they? It seems like a completely pointless experience to me when you've got those sorts of numbers and all you're gonna be doing is spending 3/4 of your time in a queue.

Hell, I was at the World Science Fiction convention here in Dublin a couple of weeks ago and that was only 6,000 people, but there were still mad queues for everything and I don't think I'd go back to something that size (to say nothing of the horrific head cold I picked up at it which levelled me for 4 days). At least it's a much older crowd (average age would be mid 40s) all of whom have hotel rooms and showers that they know how to use so that particular issue wasn't a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Having been to the UK boardgames expo, I have experienced this. It was really bad in terms of hygiene etc. I really noticed when I went out for a breath of fresh air and then came back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Was thinking of going to it next year, during the week if my son hasn't started back in school by then. Thinking again now! Went to one in the RDS a few months ago which was pitiful and there wasn't even that many there, still couldn't get near anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

.G. wrote: »
    Was thinking of going to it next year, during the week if my son hasn't started back in school by then. Thinking again now! Went to one in the RDS a few months ago which was pitiful and there wasn't even that many there, still couldn't get near anything.
    Their is a lot in Gamescom but if you want to try anything its usually an hour plus wait. Friday morning might be a bit better.
    If I had to go again I would be at the entrance for 9am sharp. It was manageable up until about 11 then after about 11.30 you couldn't move.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

.G. wrote: »

That's a different sort of thing entirely, Gamescom is more akin to E3 than the sorta rubbish that goes on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The Gamescom experience :pac:

rox68787xvi31.jpg

I went on Friday. Got in as early as I could to avoid the rush but getting into the convention centre is like breaching Helms Deep

I knew the queues would be bad tho so I managed to have a good enough time and basically told myself I'd only queue for the stuff I really wanted to see. Probably wouldn't go again, also yes it is a very unique smell at Gamescom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Only thing that has ever turned me off going to one of these conventions is the overcrowding.
    How can anyone enjoy the experience.

Yeah I never understood the appeal of generic gaming conventions myself. Queuing for 3 hours to play a demo that you'll be able to download in a month or two sounds like hell to me.

Maybe something specific like Blizzcon or Quakecon would make more sense if you're totally absorbed in a specific game like WoW, but Gamescom on the public E3 sounds like hell to me.

Dublin Comic Con is as far as I've got and that was a pretty good experience, nicely laid out, no queuing madness and everything organised well.

Advertisement