Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Am I imagining things or has there been a recent spate of ads featuring elderly folk being set up on dates by their adult children? I know there's been more than one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

Dickie10 wrote: »
    GAA ads in general all ott mythical mystical irish crap

Speaking of GAA ads, the one with GAA as a video game. Jesus !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

There's a new Guinness one about a Japanese women's rugby team, God they love a bandwagon don't they.

Believe it or not, Guinness is big in Japan. The difference to how it's marketed over there is interesting tho. Over here, the ads tend to use the 500ml can to advertise. In Japan, they tend to use the 330ml bottle. Because that's what the customers over there prefer.
    trashcan wrote: »
    Speaking of GAA ads, the one with GAA as a video game. Jesus !

That one boils my pee... it deals with these absolutes, like 'this is your path in life'...uh, no, no it's not.

The best players on the pitch were from some of the most unorthodox backgrounds-none of which matches up with that advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I generally hate all the GAA ads but must shamefully admit to liking that AIB one with the video game, namely because the voice over is probably the only ad on air where you actually get to hear a proper Irish accent. Its also so deliberately tacky and cheesy, I downloaded the game last year and it was so stupid it was actually fun !

But yeah agree with the how the whole GAA thing is marketed, its a load of tosh, community this, values that, blah de fcukin blah. And the drug problem is very real in underage GAA, a 17 year old GAA player died in Limerick last year taking anabolic steroids, his dream being to 'make county'. Its definitely going on in schools rugby too, sure you only have to look at the size of them at 15 or 16, you'd nearly wonder are the parents encouraging it. At a minimum blind eyes are being turned all over the shop.

Am I imagining things or has there been a recent spate of ads featuring elderly folk being set up on dates by their adult children? I know there's been more than one anyway.

Those are weird and offputting... like, who wants to imagine their parents doing the nasty? Especially setting them up on a date and all that.

And fer all they know, they're sending them off to their deaths-could be a serial killer on that dating app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭Dickie10

the GAA viseo game ad is very odd. i mean the player is supposed to be a dublin footballer so we can only believe it must be dean rock based or some Fingallians player basically one of the dublin culchie players because their playing a club game in a pitch in the middle of the country with sheep in the field next door and there then getting to training driving through a small village with tractors on the road that they have to avoid now im not saying this wouldnt happen but for it to be a dublin player they must be from north county dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I generally hate all the GAA ads but must shamefully admit to liking that AIB one with the video game, namely because the voice over is probably the only ad on air where you actually get to hear a proper Irish accent. Its also so deliberately tacky and cheesy, I downloaded the game last year and it was so stupid it was actually fun !

But yeah agree with the how the whole GAA thing is marketed, its a load of tosh, community this, values that, blah de fcukin blah. And the drug problem is very real in underage GAA, a 17 year old GAA player died in Limerick last year taking anabolic steroids, his dream being to 'make county'. Its definitely going on in schools rugby too, sure you only have to look at the size of them at 15 or 16, you'd nearly wonder are the parents encouraging it. At a minimum blind eyes are being turned all over the shop.

I didn't realise it was a real game.. I'd love that

I'll admit to liking that ad too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

lawred2 wrote: »

.... You made County....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,482 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah that's a good ad. Speaking of GAA, the ESB ad for their sponsorship of minor championship is great too.

Very evocative imagery. Early morning training, schoolyard team picking, clock watching, clingfilm wrapped dinners...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah that's a good ad. Speaking of GAA, the ESB ad for their sponsorship of minor championship is great too.

Very evocative imagery. Early morning training, schoolyard team picking, clock watching, clingfilm wrapped dinners...

Not sure if you been sarastic, they they pick the bullies from the school yard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,393 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There is a really bad one for Always Ultra with Heather Watson (the terrible tennis player in it)....going for the big names obviously!

Yeah, there is, still, a genuine problem with drugs in my home county. I know one guy who had a drug problem (not steroids-these weren't performance enhancing drugs) who managed to make to to the senior squad, won an all-Ireland too. Unfortunately, he picked up an injury (it was either a torn ligament, or an achilles tear. Either way, he could no longer play anymore-once he got surgery to repair it).

Well, that 'high' is a helluva rush-and his problems got worse (the drugs, and alcohol). So his family tried to intervene-got him away from his 'crew', and managed to get him a job outside Ireland. The addictions didn't go away, had an accident on the job while under the influence... sadly passed away a few days later.

My cousin was heading towards a similar path. He played for his club, but tore the ligament in his knee. So he needed surgery, and a year out to recuperate. (Sport was his outlet for frustrations-so he lost that outlet). The injury curbed his playing career too. I didn't know he had a drug 'habit' (more about that), I knew he drank, but he never even smoked a cigarette-wanted to maintain his fitness so he could play sports.
    Well, the next year or two was seriously rough-and it took a toll. (The guy I mentioned earlier? One of his friends-played for the same club.) His grandmother died (used to live in the same house with his parents, siblings, and himself) so his drug habit became a drug problem-a 'release' so to speak.

Started to notice his behaviour became a bit erratic-he had a job, but up and went on a trip abroad for a week or two-no notice given, just one of those drop everything, up and leave kind of moments. Very odd.
    Well, when he came back-he ended up in hospital. Long story short, he was out of it on something-got himself in a bad situation and ended up stabbed.

He went to rehab-it's been over a year now. Hope he keeps fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GCIREL

lertsnim wrote: »
    "Who's the Eimearnator".

Perhaps it's the woman sitting in the same room as you playing video games. Stupid ad.

Edit: I see I'm not the only one :)

Ahhhh does my head in... unlucky laddddsssss
    And it's on way too often..

.... You made County....

Protein boost 😊 from Supermacs

Centreparcs Ireland...

Child with chocolate all over his greedy face. No manners. Completely turned me off that place looking at that spoilt little yolk.

I love you and you are not forgettttinggg youuu as he stuffs his head with dessert. Pr1ck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Centurion1001

GCIREL wrote: »
    Centreparcs Ireland...

Child with chocolate all over his greedy face. No manners. Completely turned me off that place looking at that spoilt little yolk.

I love you and you are not forgettttinggg youuu as he stuffs his head with dessert. Pr1ck.

That whole place looks like some upper middle class paradise. Overpriced 'reconnect with nature' bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

lawred2 wrote: »

Yeah it was a real game but I went to download it again from the Play Store earlier this summer and it is no longer there :mad: It was 8 bit tacky stuff but highly enjoyable playing it on your phone. It had the same voice over as the ad does, I thought it quite clever to mix an ad with a downloadable video game, was a new one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Protein boost 😊 from Supermacs

From the manager most likely.... Take one of dem dere Boyz, you'll be flyin up dat wing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You're spot on there, if they started drug testing in the GAH it would make the 99 tour de France look like the (any club) wheelers senior veterans Sunday outing.
    CoBo55 wrote: »
    From the manager most likely.... Take one of dem dere Boyz, you'll be flyin up dat wing.

Looks like someone is bitter about not making the team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

gmisk wrote: »
    There is a really bad one for Always Ultra with Heather Watson (the terrible tennis player in it)....going for the big names obviously!

It always makes me laugh. She's the last person who can put up a fight when it's needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Looks like someone is bitter about not making the team :D
    Never played GAA in my life, never even went to a match tbh, seeing how they treated friends children was enough for me:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Can someone somewhere please make the very welcome decision to immediately stop Claudia I'm soooooooo irritating Winkleman from appearing on any more ads please. Otherwise my boot will very likely go through my television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Can someone somewhere please make the very welcome decision to immediately stop Claudia I'm soooooooo irritating Winkleman from appearing on any more ads please. Otherwise my boot will very likely go through my television.

Maybe its my TV but in some of the close ups her hair looks purple, sure sign of too much "black" hair dye.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,258 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Claudine Keane on the centra ads, oh sweet lord someone make her go away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

"Ring a ding ding" who the hell says that in real life?

The Pantene ad, "The power of hair", what rot.

Yes what a gowl.... I'd give my spleen for her to **** off.. stupid ad stupid woman stupid shampoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Yes what a gowl.... I'd give my spleen for her to **** off.. stupid ad stupid woman stupid shampoo

Why not just vent your spleen instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The Spar ads with Karen Koster.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Those lungworm ads. What sick bastard thought of an hourglass full of parasitic worms counting down to a dog's death? The ad I've seen for the last few days is a shortened version where doggo doesn't drop dead at the end, but it still makes my skin crawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The Avonmore idents pre and post the weather.
    The rubber faced one who spends her day hanging around the kitchen robbing her housemates food. They even have to put post-it notes on their stuff telling her to f off.

Feckin moocher.

Advertisement