Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A real Jeep

• 20-08-2019 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Anyone know a mechanic who will do work on a real Jeep, import parts from US fit, etc..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Define real Jeep ??

Jeep (as in the company) are in Ireland with a dealer network...

https://www.jeep.ie/find-dealer

Also where are you based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Noggle

????

What are you calling a "real" Jeep ?

Is it the original Willys Jeep ? or a more modern Wrangler ?

If its a Wrangler then parts are available in Ireland from the dealers so any decent independent should work on them for you,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Any mechanic worth his/her salt will understand how to service any jeep.

You sure it's a mechanic you need?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I can get things very wrong but I think the OP should have said Willys Jeep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

my3cents wrote: »

I have no idea how you deduce that, but from looking at a Willys jeep on google it looks like it could be serviced/overhauled with an adjustable spanner.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

my3cents wrote: »

A Willys isn't a real Jeep, it's from a different manufacturer. The Jeep is based on it.

If a mechanic can't work on a classic vehicle they shouldn't call themselves a mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its knowing where to get all the spares thats part of the deal with the servicing of old military vehicles and the OP did mention importing parts from the US (you can get everything in fact you could build a new one from parts) which is why I made the jump to Willys Jeep. Still might be wrong and would be nice if the OP got back.

knipex wrote: »
    Define real Jeep ??

Jeep (as in the company) are in Ireland with a dealer network...

https://www.jeep.ie/find-dealer

Also where are you based ?

.Cork.

It’s a wrangler sport 98 hard top 2.5 litre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Welcome to the "pedantic" thread...jasus lads will yez relax on the "Jeep" sh1t..and just try help the lad.....:rolleyes:

Probably just lots of Land Rover owners ready to pounce. I still smile politely but grit my teeth every time someone says "nice Jeep" to me when I'm standing at the pump filling my Series III with go slow juice! :D

So anyone able to recommend a mechanic who is available and can work on this jeep.

I used the phrase real Jeep to distinguish from Land Cruisers, Owners, Landies etc.

Noggle wrote: »
    So anyone able to recommend a mechanic who is available and can work on this jeep.

I used the phrase real Jeep to distinguish from Land Cruisers, Owners, Landies etc.

A 98 Wrangler is not a difficult vehicle to work on, it's from the days when you could fix things, any mechanic should be able to work on it. Is it originally registered in Ireland/UK or USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Del2005 wrote: »
    A 98 Wrangler is not a difficult vehicle to work on, it's from the days when you could fix things, any mechanic should be able to work on it. Is it originally registered in Ireland/UK or USA?

But will then "want" to.....unless they can plug it into something theyre not bothered...theres a crowd on DD who fix yank cars....Kildare area maybe..:confused:

But will then "want" to.....unless they can plug it into something theyre not bothered...theres a crowd on DD who fix yank cars....Kildare area maybe..:confused:

Technicians plug in, mechanics fix ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

A Willys isn't a real Jeep, it's from a different manufacturer. The Jeep is based on it.

If a mechanic can't work on a classic vehicle they shouldn't call themselves a mechanic.

Production of the Jeep from 1941 was shared by Willys, Ford, and American Bantam. Willys attained the copyright for the name from 1950.

Wil the real Jeep please stand up?

Any half decent mechanic could service that. They wont need to import parts from the US. They should be be available from the Dealer network.

There is a Jeep main dealer in Cork if you want to go that route..

So no one actually knows anyone.

Its from Ireland originally.

Its from Ireland originally.

Then why would you or your mechanic import parts from the US ?

I'm assuming this isn't your first car. Take it to whoever you used before.

If you looking or advice on a good mechanic then you are probably better off asking in the Cork forum and narrow down your location a bit...

But if your in or near Cork city then Dan Seaman Motors on the airport road will have access to all parts, tech manuals etc.

• Advertisement

Then why would you or your mechanic import parts from the US ?

I'm assuming this isn't your first car. Take it to whoever you used before.

If you looking or advice on a good mechanic then you are probably better off asking in the Cork forum and narrow down your location a bit...

But if your in or near Cork city then Dan Seaman Motors on the airport road will have access to all parts, tech manuals etc.

Thank you I will go out there hopefully you'll be able to sort me out

Thank you I will go out there hopefully you'll be able to sort me out

Not me mate. Not even in the trade or in Cork for that matter.

if you want to own a Jeep, do so and run it until it needs something. Part of the fun is sourcing the parts, and ,if you are able to learn, fitting them yourselves. Finding someone to take on jobs can be challenging but interesting. It kind of depends on the job what tradesman you use. (bodywork, mechanicals, paint, electrics etc.

They're a simple rugged vehicle, should be no more difficult than any other car and easier than many.

There's a big following for them in the UK and it may be easier to source parts there. Sourcing stuff in Ireland I find is seldom easy. A Main Dealer is unlikely to have parts for a 1940s car.

Isambard wrote: »
    Sourcing stuff in Ireland I find is seldom easy. A Main Dealer is unlikely to have parts for a 1940s car.

1998 Wrangler
    It’s a wrangler sport 98 hard top 2.5 litre

1998 Wrangler

missed that bit but the same applies to a 20 year old car. The chances of a Main Dealer having stuff are slim.

Advertisement