Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric collar

Options
  • 22-08-2019 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Is anyone using an Electric collar to assist there dog training, have you any recommendations makes/models.
    Any info or tips,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Dont see a need to give a dog an static electric shock when he doesn't answer to a command. Be careful overuse can run a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Dont see a need to give a dog an static electric shock when he doesn't answer to a command. Be careful overuse can run a dog

I’ve exhausted all other methods,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

If you can’t train a dog without an electric collar then using one is unlikely to help the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

What type of dog is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Here is a post that I put up about 2 years ago.

I have one - Sportdog 1200

My fella was going great, responding to recall, stopping on the whistle, ranging left and right.
    Then, about 3 weeks before the season it was as if he went deaf. Simply wouldn't respond to whistle when he felt like it.
    Tried him on a long lead (50m) but he got to know when he was out at 50m and then he would stop etc as good gold.
    Take off the lead and he was gone again.
    The e-collar has 3 separate buttons - one is a simple audible beep, second one is a shock of 1/10 of a second and the third is a shock for as long as you keep the button pressed. There are also 8 levels of intensity for each button. On level 2 or 3 the actual shock is similar to the shock you would get from touching a car on a warm day ( I tried it out on myself before I put it on the dog)
    Start the dog off on the lowest possible intensity and press one of the buttons to see if he responds, if he doesn't, move up to the next intensity level. Once he responds DO NOT move up any more levels.
    I initially put on the collar for a few minutes each day without turning it on just for the dog to get used to the collar.
    Then I moved on to try him with the collar switched on.
    What I did was to pip the whistle and if he didn't respond immediately, give him a "beep", pip the whistle again,if there was still no response, give him a 1/10sec shock and finally a full shock if he still was not responding.
    I think that I only had to give him a shock 3 times in the last 4 months and I have only "beeped" him about 5 times.
    Sorted the problem entirely in about 2 hours (total) of training.
    He doesn't normally have the collar on him at all at the moment, but I do put it on every now and again just so that he doesn't associate "no collar means I don't have to come back".

I tend to vary the distance he goes out as well so that he doesn't think that "if I stay close I'll be fine but if I go to far I'll get a shock".
    The idea is that the dog associates the correction with not responding to the whistle, and not with the trainer (if that makes sense).
    I would caution that you need to be careful using the collar if the dog is actively hunting so as not to discourage him from following a bird along a ditch etc, but with a bit of practice the dog will be like a new dog in no time.

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    Here is a post that I put up about 2 years ago.

I have one - Sportdog 1200

My fella was going great, responding to recall, stopping on the whistle, ranging left and right.
    Then, about 3 weeks before the season it was as if he went deaf. Simply wouldn't respond to whistle when he felt like it.
    Tried him on a long lead (50m) but he got to know when he was out at 50m and then he would stop etc as good gold.
    Take off the lead and he was gone again.
    The e-collar has 3 separate buttons - one is a simple audible beep, second one is a shock of 1/10 of a second and the third is a shock for as long as you keep the button pressed. There are also 8 levels of intensity for each button. On level 2 or 3 the actual shock is similar to the shock you would get from touching a car on a warm day ( I tried it out on myself before I put it on the dog)
    Start the dog off on the lowest possible intensity and press one of the buttons to see if he responds, if he doesn't, move up to the next intensity level. Once he responds DO NOT move up any more levels.
    I initially put on the collar for a few minutes each day without turning it on just for the dog to get used to the collar.
    Then I moved on to try him with the collar switched on.
    What I did was to pip the whistle and if he didn't respond immediately, give him a "beep", pip the whistle again,if there was still no response, give him a 1/10sec shock and finally a full shock if he still was not responding.
    I think that I only had to give him a shock 3 times in the last 4 months and I have only "beeped" him about 5 times.
    Sorted the problem entirely in about 2 hours (total) of training.
    He doesn't normally have the collar on him at all at the moment, but I do put it on every now and again just so that he doesn't associate "no collar means I don't have to come back".

I tend to vary the distance he goes out as well so that he doesn't think that "if I stay close I'll be fine but if I go to far I'll get a shock".
    The idea is that the dog associates the correction with not responding to the whistle, and not with the trainer (if that makes sense).
    I would caution that you need to be careful using the collar if the dog is actively hunting so as not to discourage him from following a bird along a ditch etc, but with a bit of practice the dog will be like a new dog in no time.

Similar story, 2 year old springer, just the stop whistle, everything else is perfect,
    When I blow the whistle the 1st time he’ll drop 2nd time he’ll take a few yards 3rd time more yards and so on,
    Im at it a year and a half with him, dragging him back to the spot where I blew the whistle, 2nd time drag him back blast the whistle in his ear, 3rd time drag him back by the ear 4th time drag him back whistle in the ear and a smack on the arse,
    I spoke to the breeder and he told me his father is the exact same and that he puts a e collar on his father every now and then, he’s a professional trainer,

I’m open to other suggestions, the collar is a last resort,
    Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

ronn,

I haven't used my collar for about 2 years.
    Dog is perfect ( or as perfect as I need him) since.

The collars are expensive so if you could get one on loan it might be a better option. If the dog is just testing you, which my fella seemed to be, you should certainly sort it in a week.

Vizzy wrote: »
    ronn,

I haven't used my collar for about 2 years.
    Dog is perfect ( or as perfect as I need him) since.

The collars are expensive so if you could get one on loan it might be a better option. If the dog is just testing you, which my fella seemed to be, you should certainly sort it in a week.

Yeah he’s just testing me alright, I’ll give him another week and see how I go,
    Thanks for you’re help

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Spend the money and get one that is totally adjustable,and get qualified advice on how to use it as a training aid too.You can screw up the dog totally by using an el cheapo Ebay collar,as the voltage can be too high when you want a gentle inducement rather than a punishment voltage. I use an ET 300 mini educator made in the US.Costs about 220euros,but it is actually certified on the voltages,and is FIK the only collar professional US dog trainers are allowed to use. Really should be tools of last resort in dog training.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bud2000

I use dogtra pathfinder never even put the electrodes in just use the gps great bit of kit

• Advertisement
Advertisement