Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaa final tickets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

The issue is Leinster and Ulster provincials are famous for not using their full allocation. Outside the finalists the benefactors for tickets are as follows.
    •Provincial boards (They issue to clubs within their remit)
    •Semi Finalists
    •Provincial Champs (If different to finalists)
    •Corps
    •Sponsors

If available general sale. 1 board completely abuse this and dont move their allocation on but still claim it so not to lose their ratio for football final. 1100 odd tickets returned on thursday for the final sunday last week. They then come to croker and allow those with money on their mind to sell them on and make something. Its wrong and its a joke. I handed away 11 premiums for less then face value on here to boardsies who are genuine GAA people who couldnt get a ticket. Disgrace. 3 days will CBs get Sam tickets we will have the same come next week

Absolutely shocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

kala85 wrote: »
    The issue is Leinster and Ulster provincials are famous for not using their full allocation. Outside the finalists the benefactors for tickets are as follows.
    •Semi Finalists
    •Corps
    •Sponsors

If available general sale. 1 board completely abuse this and dont move their allocation on but still claim it so not to lose their ratio for football final. 1100 odd tickets returned on thursday for the final sunday last week. They then come to croker and allow those with money on their mind to sell them on and make something. Its wrong and its a joke. I handed away 11 premiums for less then face value on here to boardsies who are genuine GAA people who couldnt get a ticket. Disgrace. 3 days will CBs get Sam tickets we will have the same come next week

Absolutely shocking.

I agree with you. Hopefully the stresses for all the Dubs anyway will bw worth it come 5.30 on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Really shows the value of having season ticket or county pass.

Cuts out all the sweating and begging!

Saw somewhere Dublin have 3,500 ST and PP. Thought it was a lot more to be honest.

Another thing on tickets. It was noticeable from crowd shots at hurling final that there were a lot more younger people there.

Hill for Dubs games is definitely "greying" and a lot harder for younger club members to get tickets.

That cannot be good for support profile in years to come.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Really shows the value of having season ticket or county pass.

Cuts out all the sweating and begging!

Saw somewhere Dublin have 3,500 ST and PP. Thought it was a lot more to be honest.

Another thing on tickets. It was noticeable from crowd shots at hurling final that there were a lot more younger people there.

Hill for Dubs games is definitely "greying" and a lot harder for younger club members to get tickets.

That cannot be good for support profile in years to come.

STH will always be given the opporunity for a final ticket and that goes with out saying. Most clubs will look after a select few. Ive seen men at our club miss the final after not missing a league, cup or champo game in years its a joke.

STH will always be given the opporunity for a final ticket and that goes with out saying. Most clubs will look after a select few. Ive seen men at our club miss the final after not missing a league, cup or champo game in years its a joke.

Can't beat the season ticket for the genuine supporters but the sunshine cronies with connections will always pick up a ticket.

• Advertisement

•Semi Finalists
    •Corps
    •Sponsors

What do they do with the returns on Thursday. Do they get offered to the participating counties or are they put on general sale.

Put s a lot of younger members off,

I know of one club secretary who gave tickets to a TD and their family and friends from the political party he is a member of last year. Same time as he was telling lads who'd played for years and gotten tickets for years that he had none left!

TD already had option of buying two from CP!

•Semi Finalists
    •Corps
    •Sponsors

What do they do with the returns on Thursday. Do they get offered to the participating counties or are they put on general sale.

Usually offered to staff within croke park, on thursday evening most employees within the operations field within croke park were offered whatever they wanted.

Participating counties weren't offered any extra. As of friday evening there was still a few in HQ i posted on boards sunday morning offering a free ticket for anyone stuck it was taken by a regular here. Point being it should never be possible to offer tickets to a final like that. Ticketing is all wrong at the minute

Can't beat the season ticket for the genuine supporters but the sunshine cronies with connections will always pick up a ticket.

Yeah I still purchase my season ticket toe ensure that if anyhing in job deteriorates and we get left short im still sorted. And have you ever tried to get past some testy stewards in Omagh or Austin stack without a ticket and your a Dub. North and south korea have had easier negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Yeah I still purchase my season ticket toe ensure that if anyhing in job deteriorates and we get left short im still sorted. And have you ever tried to get past some testy stewards in Omagh or Austin stack without a ticket and your a Dub. North and south korea have had easier negotiations.

Why? Should Dubs be allowed into Omagh and Austin Stack Park for free?

Although the ways things are going, it wouldnt surprise me if this was in the offing:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »

Why? Should Dubs be allowed into Omagh and Austin Stack Park for free?

Although the ways things are going, it wouldnt surprise me if this was in the offing:rolleyes:

You didnt get the joke but your right we should

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Put s a lot of younger members off,

I know of one club secretary who gave tickets to a TD and their family and friends from the political party he is a member of last year. Same time as he was telling lads who'd played for years and gotten tickets for years that he had none left!

TD already had option of buying two from CP!
    Of course you could always put yourself forward for club secretary to avail of these perks

Not my club. He'd hardly have been boasting about it to his own members.

Giving tickets to sponsors and maybe a pub that provides rooms for functions and so on is fair enough.

Giving them to politicians is low level corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Usually offered to staff within croke park, on thursday evening most employees within the operations field within croke park were offered whatever they wanted.

Participating counties weren't offered any extra. As of friday evening there was still a few in HQ i posted on boards sunday morning offering a free ticket for anyone stuck it was taken by a regular here. Point being it should never be possible to offer tickets to a final like that. Ticketing is all wrong at the minute

The problem here is the professional administrators of the gaa are completely out of touch with grassroots gaa.
    To think that tickets are floating around 2 days before one of the biggest gaa games are crazy, i assume some of these may end up on the street.
    I actually do not have a problem with touts as if my county were in Final i would pay whatever for ticket,
    Unlikely the way gaa structured at moment that will likely never happen which is a separate issue.
    I am afraid if gaa do not embrace some sort of semi-professionalism it will fade away. The only guaranteed full house at gaa HQ is a rock concert.
    Slane is where i prefer go for these...

Not my club. He'd hardly have been boasting about it to his own members.

Giving tickets to sponsors and maybe a pub that provides rooms for functions and so on is fair enough.

Giving them to politicians is low level corruption.

I would not agree with this comment, pay for the room the same as everyone.
    Let there be a level playing field for tickets with priority given to club members from the counties involved.
    There is ample room in premium and sponsor boxes for the politicians and these important people.
    About 15 years a well established referee told me he was invited to League Final by a major drinks company.
    He said they put on the grand prix while the match was on, he was disgusted and went outside to watch game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I would not agree with this comment, pay for the room the same as everyone.
    Let there be a level playing field for tickets with priority given to club members from the counties involved.
    There is ample room in premium and sponsor boxes for the politicians and these important people.
    About 15 years a well established referee told me he was invited to League Final by a major drinks company.
    He said they put on the grand prix while the match was on, he was disgusted and went outside to watch game.

You can make that decision when you are running a club.

There isnt a public vote as to how these decisions are made.

To go back to our discussion about accounts - one thing that surprised me was the (high) % of GAA income that comes from sponsorhip, tv rights and corporate boxes, compared to gate receipts.

People like the facilities that this money pays for, but still want to give out about the prawn cocktail brigade not being real fans and about their grandad not being to watch the connaught semi final because its on sky....

Its hypocritical. You dont like the corporate boxes - would you be willing to give up Cul Camps funding so that your referee friend can watch the match with 'real fans'?

Tombo2001 wrote: »

To go back to our discussion about accounts - one thing that surprised me was the (high) % of GAA income that comes from sponsorhip, tv rights and corporate boxes, compared to gate receipts.

People like the facilities that this money pays for, but still want to give out about the prawn cocktail brigade not being real fans and about their grandad not being to watch the connaught semi final because its on sky....

Its hypocritical. You dont like the corporate boxes - would you be willing to give up Cul Camps funding so that your referee friend can watch the match with 'real fans'?
    The cul camps are self sufficient.
    They actually make a very healthy profit from them.

I was referring to club sponsors - the local pub/shop/garage/dog groomer - not some corporate entity.

If one of the former shells out for sets of jerseys and nets or whatever, I think a few tickets is warranted. Most of them have some connection to the club anyway, or are genuinely interested. No one is getting a lot of business referrals from having the Junior Bs running around with "Murphy Roofers" emblazoned on their chest.

Corporate thing is a different issue. On one hand it brings a lot of money in and mostly tickets do end up I find with genuine supporters.

Was only in one twice. Once when a company gave us tickets to bring our under 14s to a league game as reward for winning their league. Other time was for 2011 final which was weird. Half the box was fanatical Dubs and Kerry with a few genuine neutrals. Rest were obnoxious crowd of the friends/clients of the owners.

One of owners sat through both minor and senior finals and seemed sound chap, and in fairness had given tickets out which found their way to likes of myself who he only vaguely knew through the person who gave me his one!

The cul camps are self sufficient.
    They actually make a very healthy profit from them.

Cul camps does make a profit but the money is injected into the locality, it saves the GAA having to dig into their own pockets and allows the parish support their local teams by proxy of the camps. There is a large percentage that goes into the clubs from Cul Camps

Bonnie, i do agree with your comment about how sponsors distribute tickets, that was not my intention when i mentioned what i was told, i was only ever in box one time and the person who gave me the ticket was a senior person with a company we were selling against other to same customers.

The gaa is awash with money, it is just badly spent on administration and making Dublin like Manchester Utd and destroying the game at grassroots level...

• Advertisement

Bonnie, i do agree with your comment about how sponsors distribute tickets, that was not my intention when i mentioned what i was told, i was only ever in box one time and the person who gave me the ticket was a senior person with a company we were selling against other to same customers.

The gaa is awash with money, it is just badly spent on administration and making Dublin like Manchester Utd and destroying the game at grassroots level...

Look - all I can say is - with several kids involved in underage; where I am the game is absolutely thriving at grassroots level.

My kids do GAA, and a number of other sports. And the GAA has better facilities, and bigger numbers than any other sport by far.

Compared to the soccer where you are rocking up to village greens or public parks, and there is no ref - the GAA is incredibly well organised and funded at grassroots.

And its all over the country, GAA clubs have fantastic facilities.

This is all 'grass roots' - so what 'grass roots' are you talking about?

I am not sure you want to debate this as as far as i can see the gaa is the only sport where i live.
    I am a gaa supporter and admire how well the grassroots organization get every involved.
    Around here they have built several pitches using community funding therefore where if funding for other sports.

When the community were collecting funding here i suggested that community/gaa buy the local village hall
    which was and is now direlict ans create indoor facility for and indoor training + indoor soccor, basketball etc.
    I do not know what our minister for sport is doing.

There is another one not too far from where i live, its about 8km from the nearest town and it was funded with
    community funding.
    I regard myself as a strong gaa supporter but i do not want it to be the only sport available for our young people.
    About a Month ago i had a conversation with local gaa official, he said it was great so many people at the kids camps
    and i agreed. I also added "its the only game in town"
    That's what i see.

The grass roots i was referring to is HQ leave grass roots to do their own thing and the corporate organization
    separate entity.

I am not sure you want to debate this as as far as i can see the gaa is the only sport where i live.
    I am a gaa supporter and admire how well the grassroots organization get every involved.
    Around here they have built several pitches using community funding therefore where if funding for other sports.

When the community were collecting funding here i suggested that community/gaa buy the local village hall
    which was and is now direlict ans create indoor facility for and indoor training + indoor soccor, basketball etc.
    I do not know what our minister for sport is doing.

There is another one not too far from where i live, its about 8km from the nearest town and it was funded with
    community funding.
    I regard myself as a strong gaa supporter but i do not want it to be the only sport available for our young people.
    About a Month ago i had a conversation with local gaa official, he said it was great so many people at the kids camps
    and i agreed. I also added "its the only game in town"
    That's what i see.

The grass roots i was referring to is HQ leave grass roots to do their own thing and the corporate organization
    separate entity.

What part of this is 'destroying the game at grassroots level'?

Grass roots maybe working at the moment but that is down to the individual clubs and members within them.

Problems I see

Clubs crippled with costs of team entries, insurance, county board contributions. No money coming from croke park to off set any of this. You might get a 20 per cent grant for a capital project but that's it.

Under the table payments to county and club managers.

Sky sports. People giving of their time to a amateur /voluntary organisation in their local club and then if being charged to watch the game on sky. A lot of people played for free at inter County level, when the gaa took on massive gates and local coaches going to the gaa clubs, training kids and volunteers around the country keeping the thing ticking over. Look at the massive difference jp mcmanus money made to each club last year and how well it was welcomed.

The cost of tickets and going to matches. 90e for an all Ireland when amateur players are playing. 7e for a match programme. There was a rise in prices fir all games. Whats all the money for?

The long playing season for inter county players. Extra gates for the gaa but all these round Robin, walsh cups, league games. The time commitment alone is crazy. Exploiting the players.

The gpa. Another gravy train for those who are in it at the top. Massive amounts of money for wages so that they will keep quiet and toe the line with the establishment. They never even consulted members properly about the inter county fixtures.

Fixtures schedule for clubs. A national fixtures plan needs to be issued.

All Ireland ticket distribution as per this thread. Officials and ex presidents entitled to tickets while ex players are not.

Stopping tom parsons for example and families of players going into the pitch in Croke Park after a game.

A core group of people on the gaa management committee are making the decisions and getting them rubber stamped by Congress. The players need a proper voice.

No transparency on the wages of the Directors General.. Are they on a bonus scheme depending on the income they bring in.

Cul camps does make a profit but the money is injected into the locality, it saves the GAA having to dig into their own pockets and allows the parish support their local teams by proxy of the camps. There is a large percentage that goes into the clubs from Cul Camps

Are you sure??
    Maybe in your County but not in mine.

I know some counties made 70 to 90k profit from cul camps but I didn't see counties ringing up clubs and giving them a share of that money.

I'm curious to kniow how you know the money from cul camps was distributed into your club. Maybe its different in your county.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Are you sure??

I know some counties made 70 to 90k profit from cul camps but I didn't see counties ringing up clubs and giving them a share of that money.

I'm curious to kniow how you know the money from cul camps was distributed into your club. Maybe its different in your county.

Was just about to say the same. No Cul Camps money goes into the club in our county.

I would imagine down here any profits made goes towards the funding for the few Games Development Officers we have.

Are you sure??

Thats lies. Plane and simple all clubs benefit off their subscriptions and if your involved with a club post who here and im sure someone will clarify it for you. Theres an AGM every year with clubs where this will be discussed

Thats lies. Plane and simple all clubs benefit off their subscriptions and if your involved with a club post who here and im sure someone will clarify it for you. Theres an AGM every year with clubs where this will be discussed

Fair enough. I will check it out. I was secretary of my own club and I have never heard of cul camps moneys coming back into the club.

If it's true, is it a percentage of the sign up fee or how is worked out?

I do know as a fact that some counties made 70 to 100k profit.

Fair enough. I will check it out. I was secretary of my own club and I have never heard of cul camps moneys coming back into the club.

If it's true, is it a percentage of the sign up fee or how is worked out?

I do know as a fact that some counties made 70 to 100k profit.

So club members subscriptions to cul camp a % is paid back to the club. That is why clubs provide volunteers facilities. No club will just provide these facilities and time for the sake of it lets be real. Huge profit is paid back to county boards from Cul camps it wssnt always shared.

• Advertisement

What part of this is 'destroying the game at grassroots level'?

Sorry i did not make my point very well.

What i am saying is grassroots gaa is very successful and well ran, unfortunately the powers that be within gaa leave grassroots to organize and fund themselves.
    My other point is gaa dominate all sport in rural Ireland, most kids around here have only access to gaa which i agree is great organization.
    Unfortunately to repeat what i said earlier "its the only game in town"

I just looked back at a few of the posts from this morn since i last posted.
    Oddly enough most were about money which is interesting since amatuer ethos.
    I now it takes funds but too much emphasis which was my point with original post...

Advertisement