Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Id this Lizard

Options
  • 29-07-2019 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys I found this little fella in the back garden in Galway City, I caught him and released him in to a field, any idea where he came from or would he be an escaped pet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hi Guys I found this little fella in the back garden in Galway City, I caught him and released him in to a field, any idea where he came from or would he be an escaped pet.

Looks to be just the common Irish Lizard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

billie1b wrote: »
    Looks to be just the common Irish Lizard

Thanks for that I never knew we had Lizards in Ireland got to say he looked lovely mind you the other half was not impressed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Viviparous Lizard, only one we have here (that's native anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Common lizard. But why remove him and put him in a field?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Common lizard. But why remove him and put him in a field?

Because the other half cant stand them when on holidays so one in the back garden, we get lots of Magpies in so for his own safety, actually its a large grown over are near the home so safer for him. probably be back again soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Jeez, I'd love to have them in the back garden!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

only to be found in coastal areas i take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fryup wrote: »
    only to be found in coastal areas i take it?
    Not at all. I see them quite often when hillwalking all over Ireland. Saw two in the Slieve Blooms a couple of weeks ago in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭emo72

Seen them in glendalough too

Talking about lizards, I saw the strangest thing a few weeks ago on a hike in the boggy area where the sources of the Liffey, Avonmore and Dargle are located. We startled a lizard who then scurried towards one of the many small ponds, and promptly swam across it! I never knew lizards could swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Caught one in rural Leixlip a while back. Was quite large too. Are they becoming more commonly sighted?

They have always been fairly common, but only in the right place, and at the right time.
    You'll typically see them after disturbing them on a sunny day in summer, while they are basking on a rock. Mostly on mountain or sea cliff habitat.
    You'd think coasts and mountains are very different habitats, and so they are. I suspect they need somewhere dry for their winter hibernation, somewhere that will never flood, and that is the main reason they frequent rocky and/or upland areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Have them here in the flat boggy midlands too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

recedite wrote: »
    They have always been fairly common, but only in the right place, and at the right time.
    You'll typically see them after disturbing them on a sunny day in summer, while they are basking on a rock. Mostly on mountain or sea cliff habitat.
    You'd think coasts and mountains are very different habitats, and so they are. I suspect they need somewhere dry for their winter hibernation, somewhere that will never flood, and that is the main reason they frequent rocky and/or upland areas.

I know the typical habitats but had never actually seen one in Ireland before, at least in the wild. Just was strange that it is was in a friend’s garden. It was relatively rural but on the edge of the suburbs too. Just seem to be more common in locations I wouldn’t ordinarily have expected. OP’s one in Galway city garden. Then there was one wrapped up in the web of a false widow spider in Dalkey or Killiney a while back. ...That says more about the progress of that particular spider in Ireland rather than the common lizard.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Have them here in the flat boggy midlands too!
    But are they in a raised or rocky area above the bog, or are they actually in the low lying area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Any I've ever seen have been along the edge of trails through the bog.

Well, its just my own theory that it is something to do with the winter drainage.
    Its a bit of a mystery why they would be locally common in some places, but completely absent in others. Not like frogs, which turn up everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

But are they in a raised or rocky area above the bog, or are they actually in the low lying area?

You'll find them in what would be described as heaths and moors. They don't require rocky areas.

ie "uplands"

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

ie "uplands"

Not necessarily, I've seen them in sand dunes beside the sea and there are plenty of reports of 'sightings' from Clara Bog.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not necessarily, I've seen them in sand dunes beside the sea and there are plenty of reports of 'sightings' from Clara Bog.....
    I saw my first one a few years ago on the walkway through the dunes at Barleycove beach

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

I know the typical habitats but had never actually seen one in Ireland before, at least in the wild. Just was strange that it is was in a friend’s garden. It was relatively rural but on the edge of the suburbs too. Just seem to be more common in locations I wouldn’t ordinarily have expected. OP’s one in Galway city garden. Then there was one wrapped up in the web of a false widow spider in Dalkey or Killiney a while back. ...That says more about the progress of that particular spider in Ireland rather than the common lizard.

Roberts head ( above Roberts cove) Cork ,fair chance of seeing one on the cliff walk on a rock getting the sun( twice in as many weeks)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Alun wrote: »
    Talking about lizards, I saw the strangest thing a few weeks ago on a hike in the boggy area where the sources of the Liffey, Avonmore and Dargle are located. We startled a lizard who then scurried towards one of the many small ponds, and promptly swam across it! I never knew lizards could swim.

They can for short distances and for a short period of time, beyond that they end up paddling furiously without gaining any distance, get exhausted and drown. I always have a "landing area" for them in the water butt, even if it's just a bit of fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

The only time I actually saw a lizard wild in Ireland was in my uncles small private area of bogland in Cavan about 40 years ago. My uncle was an oldish guy at that point but still insisted on cutting a small amount of black turf by hand out of his bog every summer. I saw the small lizard basking on a pile of turf he had cut and stacked in the bog to dry. It was a fairly wild piece of bogland mostly covered in willows and briars and old bogholes covered in long grass so I don't know where the lizards normally basked. I have never encountered lizards anywhere else despite doing a fair bit of walking in different parts of Ireland (although not looking for them I might add).

Actually I have always thought that some of these small private areas of bog that you get pretty much everywhere in Ireland could still be holding a few secrets in terms of undiscovered species of plants or insects. Many of these areas although they can sometimes be 20 or 30 acres in size are quite isolated from each other and at the same time must be some of the most undisturbed or unexplored habitats in Ireland. I don't mean the big commercial bogs or upland bogs. I mean the small bits of bog here and there in the middle of good farmland in the midlands which are often overgrown by vegetation and surrounded by big drains of water and which can be treacherous with old bogholes, so have been left pretty much untouched by machinery or even by people walking through.

Interesting, so we seem to have mountain, bog and cliffs/coastal dunes as their preferred habitats.
    I think its also fair to say they are absent from most of the land mass of this country. Unlike, say frogs, which are found almost everywhere.
    So what could the limiting factor for lizards be?
    And what do the above habitats have in common?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Limiting factors (and these are wild guesses):

1) Heat? They tend to get sluggish with colder temperatures;
    2) Water (and very cold, at that)? Like we mentioned before, they can't really swim at all.

Water - well they are not aquatic, but they can swim if they fall in, so I don't think its really a factor one way or the other.

Heat - maybe. The surface of a bog can get very hot in summer, as can sandy areas around the coast. More so than grassland or forest.
    Mountain on the other hand (even mountain bog) tends to be a cooler place.
    We're probably at the extreme end of the range for reptiles, temperature wise.
    Also as these are viviparous, the females presumably might need a certain number of decent basking days to develop their young inside.
    All these places are unshaded, could that be it?

Or to put it another way, high in solar radiation.

Maybe lizards are a bit like solar panels - they don't just like the sun, they need to get as much sun as possible.

Here's one I found a few years back up in the general area of Black Hill / Mullaghcleevaun. Not a hot day by any means, and certainly not dry either ...

Water - well they are not aquatic, but they can swim if they fall in, so I don't think its really a factor one way or the other.
    It's odd, the one I posted about earlier when it was startled and jumped into the pond, wasn't so much swimming as almost walking across the water. If you look at the photo you can see the surface tension of the water. It's feet were moving around but it wasn't really moving that quickly, almost as if it was being held in place by the surface tension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can send your sighting to the Irish Wildlife Trust who are surveying reptile locations:
    https://iwt.ie/what-we-do/citizen-science/national-reptile-survey/

the map on that page suggests they're fairly widespread - I've seen them in Greystones (not for a few years though).

Advertisement