Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ability to “hide” posters who’s join date is less than “x”

Options
  • 02-05-2019 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭

This will no doubt rub some people the wrong way !

Over the years but more so in recent times I’ve noticed posts from users who are literally a day old/few months old who are clearly trolling or being contrary for the lulz.

I would like if possible : the ability to restrict what posts can be viewed based on the users join date. For example make it possible to only view posts if the users account is 6 months.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be site wide but I think would be quite useful in certain fora. I guess it would be seen as a form of ghosting posters.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭ondafly

is this a non-runner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

ondafly wrote: »
    is this a non-runner ?

With 1 thank and no replies in a month, yeah I’d say so.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi ondafly,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I imagine it's unlikely that something like this will be implemented. While I understand that there are some newcomers that will be troublesome, it would be unfair to tar all new registrations with the same brush and it would be quite offputting for them if there was little to no engagement or discussions that they were involved in.

If someone is signing up to troll, it's best to report their posts and move on. Don't engage; they are often just looking for a reaction of any kind. And, if it comes to it, the best thing to do is to put any newcomer who is causing trouble on ignore, as you would with a more experienced user.

the best thing to do is to put any newcomer who is causing trouble on ignore, as you would with a more experienced user.

Ok - I really think this feature needs to be created. As suggested I put a new user on ignore - but people quote them and as such still see their posts, and as they average 50 posts per day, and only being a member since May - it means literally threads are full of their posts.

Ignore is not a solution - some sort of ghosting option should be re-evaluated

here is a pic to illustrate my point - tried to hide the user ID as best I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

There's a dark mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

circadian wrote: »
    There's a dark mode?

my initial thoughts were "Something's gone wrong with my eyes!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Hey ondafly. Have a read of this thread. Especially post 7 and post 23. Total ignore.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056553774

Nosnon wrote: »
    Hey ondafly. Have a read of this thread. Especially post 7 and post 23. Total ignore.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056553774

thanks for that - but it wouldn't work on mobile I am assuming ? and I would need to install on all my machines also.

Much appreciated though ! reddit gold for you (next feature request :pac:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement