Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Roll Call - Signed Print

Options
  • 19-08-2019 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭

IMG-20190819-143720.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/DZp2Ykkh/IMG-20190819-143729.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/fyFRk4BC/IMG-20190819-143743.jpg

IMG-20190819-143743.jpg
    IMG-20190819-143729.jpg
    Wondering should I get this looked at for insurance purposes, it's a large print or the Roll Call by Elizabeth Thompson, it's signed by herself Elizabeth Butler as she married one. I don't know who the second signature is WJ Hullov...can't make out the full letters of the second name. It's part or a pair that came from her house the other one is The Remnant of an Army just signed by her as Elizabeth Butler.
    There pretty old I guess around the 1880's or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

IMG-20190819-143720.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/DZp2Ykkh/IMG-20190819-143729.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/fyFRk4BC/IMG-20190819-143743.jpg

Wondering should I get this looked at for insurance purposes, it's a large print or the Roll Call by Elizabeth Thompson, it's signed by herself Elizabeth Butler as she married one. I don't know who the second signature is WJ Hullov...can't make out the full letters of the second name. It's part or a pair that came from her house the other one is The Remnant of an Army just signed by her as Elizabeth Butler.
    There pretty old I guess around the 1880's or so.

Does it have an 'edition no.' on it. Usually expressed as 8/100. The '100' being the print run.
    If it is mass produced then likely not worth a lot. (the second name is likely the lithographer)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Does it have an 'edition no.' on it. Usually expressed as 8/100. The '100' being the print run.
    If it is mass produced then likely not worth a lot. (the second name is likely the lithographer)

It has a number one stamp beside her name you can see it in the pic. I don't think it's the lithographers name as it's not on the second print.
    There's an initial JY on the side of the prints I assumed that was the lithographer.
    I'll try have a closer look..

There's the JC

IMG-20190819-145720.jpg

It has a number one stamp beside her name you can see it in the pic. I don't think it's the lithographers name as it's not on the second print.
    There's an initial JY on the side of the prints I assumed that was the lithographer.
    I'll try have a closer look..

Has somebody painted around it? Looks like they have in the closeups.
    Just readin up on who she was. If it came from her house it could be the Artists Proof. Usually marked AP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

WJ Hullov
    WJ Holland? I presume not the WJ Holland.

• Advertisement

IMG-20190819-145939.jpg

Can't see any numbers besides that stamp, as I mentioned they came from Elizabeth's house that's what has me thinking the second signature is noteworthy.

Victor wrote: »
    WJ Holland? I presume not the WJ Holland.

That's what it looks like...

IMG-20190819-150556.jpg

There's the other one just signed by her not WJ..

Has somebody painted around it? Looks like they have in the closeups.
    Just readin up on who she was. If it came from her house it could be the Artists Proof. Usually marked AP though.

Yea not sure when that was done, not in the last 60yrs anyway, has markings from I'd say an older frame on the outside of the canvas not the prints.
    Where would the AP be, I haven't opened the back of it.

So what's the consensus?

The back of it is well sealed don't want to cut it open.

• Advertisement

Yea not sure when that was done, not in the last 60yrs anyway, has markings from I'd say an older frame on the outside of the canvas not the prints.
    Where would the AP be, I haven't opened the back of it.
    So what's the consensus?

The back of it is well sealed don't want to cut it open.

'AP' would typically be marked on the front.

It seems to be a mezzotint rather than a lithograph and I would be fairly confident it is an AP of sorts by 'WT Hulland'.

Found this after a trawl on the google machine.

https://wellcomecollection.org/works/cmekkzxx

p.s. I wouldn't open it until you bring it to an expert.

pps: Artists would'nt be as meticulous with 'proofs' as they would with finished prints so the margins may have had inky thumb prints and smudges hence the over painting.

Thanks any idea where to bring it or would anyone who deals in art be ok.

Thanks any idea where to bring it or would anyone who deals in art be ok.

I'd give Whyte's an email with an inquiry first and see if they are interested in seeing more?

https://www.whytes.ie/valuations/

Let us know how it goes?

Cheers I let off the details to them. I'll keep you posted.

Let us know how it goes?

Not great news, not suitable for auction, estimate value around €100-150.
    Surprised there worth so little considering the signatures, age and size. They can stay on the wall for another century.

Advertisement