Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Éireann town busses

Options
  • 18-08-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

I was driving through nass recently and was taken aback by the sheer length of the town these days. With towns like balbriggan having a bus Éireann town service is it about time a town like nass got something similar? If so what routes should be considered and do any other towns need a similar service?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Naas has local services run by JJ Kavanagh already I think

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

L1011 wrote: »
    Naas has local services run by JJ Kavanagh already I think

I think the OP means proper public transport. Most towns have private transport, no?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tomrota wrote: »
    I think the OP means proper public transport. Most towns have private transport, no?

Public transport can be provided by private operators. Most towns do not have any town services privately or publicly operated, and the few with BE services seem to be randomly selected - e.g. Balbriggan where the main buses are Dublin local services

The JJK service is poor but better than nothing, having found a timetable: https://jjkavanagh.ie/timetable-detail-page/?RouteNo=846O&IsWeb=0&IsCollegeRoute=0&Direction=0&RGrp=Town City Services

Public transport can be provided by private operators. Most towns do not have any town services privately or publicly operated, and the few with BE services seem to be randomly selected - e.g. Balbriggan where the main buses are Dublin local services

The JJK service is poor but better than nothing, having found a timetable: https://jjkavanagh.ie/timetable-detail-page/?RouteNo=846O&IsWeb=0&IsCollegeRoute=0&Direction=0&RGrp=Town%20%20City%20Services
    Ah I see. Well Naas doesn’t even have proper links to surrounding towns or with Dublin, so it would be surprising if it had its own public town service.

Areas like Sallins, Kill and Johnstown are basically Naas. To travel between them is more costly than the daily LEAP cap on go ahead/Dublin bus. With the 139 service, you can’t travel between Naas, Sallins and Clane. It’s pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

I was driving through nass recently and was taken aback by the sheer length of the town these days.

You and most other people drive there, like in most commuter towns - that's why the public transport is not good. At least the connections to Dublin aren't terrible.

• Advertisement

Ah I see. Well Naas doesn’t even have proper links to surrounding towns or with Dublin, so it would be surprising if it had its own public town service.

Areas like Sallins, Kill and Johnstown are basically Naas. To travel between them is more costly than the daily LEAP cap on go ahead/Dublin bus. With the 139 service, you can’t travel between Naas, Sallins and Clane. It’s pathetic.

That restriction on the 139 is due to the pre-existing licenced JJK service. That both are run by JJK likely leads to no protests about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Route 139 serves Sallins and Clane from 1700 dep Naas onwards and the 0700 dep from Blanch picks up in Clane/Sallins to Naas, some drivers not happy to do this but it has been approved by the NTA

That restriction on the 139 is due to the pre-existing licenced JJK service. That both are run by JJK likely leads to no protests about it!

Seems like JJK have a little monopoly on the area between that service, their naas/clane bus, and their airport/city centre service. It’s no wonder Naas has the worst public transport of all the commuter towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dublin Bus would have been more suited to run this service than JJK

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

pad199207 wrote: »

Why, they're both bus companies, they own or rent buses, employ drivers, get routes licensed, advertise services, collect fares.

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »

Can you give any logic to this claim at all?

I doubt they even tendered.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Seems like JJK have a little monopoly on the area between that service, their naas/clane bus, and their airport/city centre service. It’s no wonder Naas has the worst public transport of all the commuter towns.

Hardly a JJK monopoly, Bus Eireann run services every 10/15 mins at peak morning times to Dublin, also Dublin Coach have direct service to Red Cow/Airport, and shuttle to Newbridge/Kildare

Advertisement