Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduce consumption, share tools, go halves etc?

Options
  • 17-08-2019 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

hi all, I am considering buying a 12ft ladder and then thought if there's anyone on here that would lend me one or let me have it for a few hours for a few quid to clear the gutters. on a wider note, would this be a popular thing? sharing our combined resources in a locality?
    I'm 5km south of Headford.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Reason it's not popular is because of liability if someone has an accident using someone else's equipment. Was the user negligent or was the equipment faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Possibly a toolshare facebook page could be worth a shot?
    You can post it here as long as no money changes hands.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

jkforde wrote: »
    hi all, I am considering buying a 12ft ladder and then thought if there's anyone on here that would lend me one or let me have it for a few hours for a few quid to clear the gutters. on a wider note, would this be a popular thing? sharing our combined resources in a locality?
    I'm 5km south of Headford.

This seems to be taking off in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_library

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In the old days you could do this, nowadays people will sue out of their pure own stupidity.

This already exists

http://menssheds.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

im note sure i agree that this would reduce consumption.

if 2 people that look after tools bought between them then yes it would work but these set ups are usually thought up by mean and stingy people that dont want to pay for the tool. obviously not all but a lot.
    i know of one such arangment that went terribly wrong between 2 brothers. one would break iron the other very respectfull of stuff.
    if i as a carefull person buy a ladder then i will buy a good one and have it for generations. that one amount of enviromental impact.
    if a bad person buys a ladder they usually buy a cheap crappy one and it will only ever last a 10 years or less. automatically thats worse for the environment, but then add in them breaking it and replacing it repeatadly.

if 2 good people share then the impact is halved but if one is bad then it is expedentially worse for the environment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That's where tool hire shops come in.

As above this is a traditional way but you have to know and trust the partner. And both have to bring something.

The classic example is lending your neighbour your horse and the horse dieing - what does the second person owe the first?

Advertisement