Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handicap Question

Options
  • 16-08-2019 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

If I have a handicap of 12, do I get no-shot on index 13-18 or index 1-6?

I always assumed it was no-shot on index 13-18 but the father-in-law thinks otherwise. Perhaps its not a strict rule or it changes for different comps or formats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

you're correct. FIL wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

If you are playing matchplay against a 6 handicap then you would have shots on 1-6, maybe he's getting confused with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Link to Source

What is Stroke Index In Golf?

Every golf scorecard has a column headed, ‘Stroke Index.’

Each hole has a number allocated to it between 1 and 18.

Clearly the number doesn’t signify a recommended number of shots, or a minimum age requirement for attempting the tee shot, so what’s it for?

Here we explain the purpose of stroke indexes and how they are distributed.

Why do we need stroke indexes?
    If you’re playing in a handicap matchplay competition, the chances are you’ll be either giving or receiving shots.

Where those shots come into play is determined by the stroke indexes allocated to the holes.

If you’re giving away 3 shots, your opponent will receive them on the holes with stroke indexes 1 to 3.

If you’re unfortunate enough to be giving away 20 shots then your opponent will receive a shot on every hole, and two shots on the holes with stroke indexes 1 and 2.

Remember, if the match goes into extra holes, stroke index applies by the card again.

They’re just for matchplay then?
    No. Stroke indexes are also important in Stableford competitions.

If you play to a handicap of 10 you’ll receive shots at holes with stroke indexes from 1 to 10.

If you make a bogey at stroke index 5, you’ll receive a shot and will actually make a nett par: two points.

Stroke indexes are used in the same way for calculating scores in par and bogey competitions.

In addition, clause 19 of CONGU’s Unified Handicapping System relies on stroke indexes.

This clause states that, for handicap purposes, you can’t score worse than a nett double bogey at any one hole.

If you play off 6 and make a triple bogey at the hole with stroke index 15, clause 19 will reduce your score to a double bogey (for handicap purposes).

However, if you had made a triple bogey at the hole with stroke index 1, you would have received a shot: the triple would have already been reduced to a double bogey so a clause 19 alteration wouldn’t have been required.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭NFH

etxp wrote: »
    If you are playing matchplay against a 6 handicap then you would have shots on 1-6, maybe he's getting confused with that?

Ya, I think this is it. We were playing matchplay, he was off 18 and me off 12. I was using the stableford system to keep score for who won each hole etc.

Advertisement