Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuting from Enfield

• 15-08-2019 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Looking at buying a house a few km outside Enfield and I am wondering what is the best way to access city center. I have looked at the service by train from Enfield to Connolly/Pearce, but it is not very frequent, and the last train out of the city seems to be shortly after 7pm in the evening. I am considering getting a short hop zone ticket, and either driving to Kilcock/Maynooth or Hazelhatch and taking the train from there. Does anybody else have experience of doing this, or is getting the train from Enfield the best solution? Also, is parking hard to get in Kilcock/Maynooth stations? Hazelhatch seems to have the biggest carpark, and the most direct train line to city center, albeit a further drive from Enfield.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

eamo17o wrote: »
    Looking at buying a house a few km outside Enfield and I am wondering what is the best way to access city center. I have looked at the service by train from Enfield to Connolly/Pearce, but it is not very frequent, and the last train out of the city seems to be shortly after 7pm in the evening. I am considering getting a short hop zone ticket, and either driving to Kilcock/Maynooth or Hazelhatch and taking the train from there. Does anybody else have experience of doing this, or is getting the train from Enfield the best solution? Also, is parking hard to get in Kilcock/Maynooth stations? Hazelhatch seems to have the biggest carpark, and the most direct train line to city center, albeit a further drive from Enfield.

Thanks!
    RE Kilcock, I don't think the frequency is appreciably greater than Enfield to be honest, as the higher frequency services terminate at Maynooth, and I'm almost sure anything passing kilcock will also go as far as Enfield and then some.

Hazelhatch services (to Pearse, etc.) operate via the Phoenix Park tunnel, and while I'm not familiar with the timetable, I seem to recall it being less extensive than the Maynooth line.

I'm in Blanchardstown area so have limited current experience of further west, but I seem to recall Leixlip Louisa Bridge as striking the best balance between car park capacity and frequency, as well as being no less accessible from the M4 than Maynooth, so might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

Kilcock is no help with later trains, etc but it does let you use a Short Hop ticket which is far more flexible and considerably cheaper than a point-to-point from Enfield. You can add Dublin Bus to a short-hop which is impossible with with a point-to-point.

There is currently work going on to enlarge Maynooth car-park which will be a help. I've parked in Maynooth a few times after driving from Longford. It's been a year or so but I haven't had any bother parking up around 7 - 7:30.

If you need a car to get to the station anyway, a short-hop from Kilcock or Maynooth is probably your best bet. If you can walk or cycle to the station, Enfield might work but it sounds as if you're too far away for that. Surprisingly few commuters seem to use Enfield - mostly it seems to be just school kids getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

eamo17o wrote: »

Thanks!

There are quite a few commuters travel from Enfield every day, many of which use the various busses (Kearns, Dublin bus etc) have you considered the bus for commuting?

If you are getting the train it's cheaper to goto maynooth (you can use a leap card from maynooth onwards in towards Dublin) - however you will also have to factor in parking for the day,
    maynooth is monitored by a traffic warden who will give tickets if you are parked illegally, there are still some free parking spots in Enfield (they introduced a 3hr limit last year, but I haven't heard of nor seen the traffic warden mentioned online for several months.)

There's also the option of a rideshare, groups of commuters agree to take turns to drive or pay the driver for the comfort of the car travel, sometimes a driver is glad of a bit of company and doesn't want payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Jem72 wrote: »
    Surprisingly few commuters seem to use Enfield - mostly it seems to be just school kids getting on.
    That's because they all use the Kearns Coaches bus service.

Buses every 10/15 mins in the morning and evening, direct to the city centre. Faster and more reliable than the train and much cheaper with taxsaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Traffic in Maynooth can be quite bad and there’s 3 sets of lights to be negotiated between the M4 and the car park at the train station.

Much freer flow of traffic from the M4 to Louisa Bridge station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What's the cost and time cost of commuting from Enfield versus the additional capital cost to live closer to the CC? Seems like insanity to me personally to even consider such a commute

What's the cost and time cost of commuting from Enfield versus the additional capital cost to live closer to the CC? Seems like insanity to me personally to even consider such a commute

Difference Cost to purchase a property would have been around €80k at the time when my home was purchased (2008), travel cost to drive/park would be about €10 a day to goto Maynooth , travel cost to drive/park to Dublin approx €20per day....cost of bus, €8 return.

For many commuters they cannot get a mortgage closer to city Centre for a property which meets their needs (expanding family, safer area, play areas for kids etc), so have no choice but to commute (I have been commuting this route for about 10years, I would love to live closer to work in Dublin but I earn about €30-35k, I’m self employed and I think there’s about another 25ish years left on the mortgage, so in my case I’m unlikely to move unless there’s a lotto/euromillions win or a massive inheritance, but neither are likely.

Many people commute because of necessity- I doubt there are too many people who willingly choose to travel great distances if they didn’t need to, many commuters are saving to purchase, a lot of commuters have found the cost of living outside Dublin to be affordable, my family struggle, but over time we will survive and get through the tough times.

Cookie_monster , I’m guessing you don’t have a mortgage or family to support, these are major factors in choosing what’s affordable, when you are young and single an apartment suits, when you start having kids space is a requirement.... most apartments do not have enough space to put kids stuff, families tend to look for houses, if faced with two options Dublin for €350k or enfield for €250k ... which is better to choose? That’s down to the ability to repay and needs of the person/people looking for a property.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what he said. commuting and maintaining a mortgage of 250k may cost the same in theory as maintaining a mortgage of 350k, but you need to be able to actually get the 350k mortgage to have that choice to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

For many commuters they cannot get a mortgage closer to city Centre for a property which meets their needs (expanding family, safer area, play areas for kids etc), so have no choice but to commute
    when you start having kids space is a requirement.... most apartments do not have enough space to put kids stuff, families tend to look for houses, if faced with two options Dublin for €350k or enfield for €250k ... which is better to choose? That’s down to the ability to repay and needs of the person/people looking for a property.

You need a home to live in, you want a place that you feel is safe (which is subjective anyway) and with a big garden. It's their wants that drive people to buy a house a long way from where they work, not their needs.

People forget about the other half of the compromise. They get a big garden but forget about the time spent away from home and away from their family (especially when they're young). They forget about the lack of flexibility that it causes. What happens when children are older and full time childcare isn't an option, when they want to do after-school activities and need to be chauffeured around the place. Will it force one partner to give up work, even if they don't want to?

I have to disagree with your suggestion that it’s the want to feel safe that drives the choice, I want to love closer to work, unfortunately economic circumstances dictate where some people choose to purchase, I’m forced out to the commuter belt because I don’t tick the right boxes (welfare system)....for me money dictates where was purchased and will remain until it’s paid off.(and possibly beyond) ...I recently spotted a person I know was jailed for 5yrs in 2015 for drug possession in my area, does it make me feel less safe knowing that there is a criminal element in my neighbourhood ? No .... have I told my wife....not yet.

Many factors can be taken into consideration before purchasing a property, in many cases amenities, schools, sports clubs, shops, traffic, crime statistics for the area, south facing garden etc, could be deal breakers .... on the radio recently they claimed that around 60% of people buying a home said being away from the in-laws is a deal breaker when purchasing a property, for others (social welfare housing list) the reason for refusal can often be given that there are no family in the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭GIMP

My advice dont buy in Enfield, we moved there from Dublin 5 years ago, town is fine and so is surrounding areas but the commute will kill you, trust me! We are moving back to Dublin next week as a result of the distance. Looking fwd to having amenities on our doorstep again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cookie_monster , I’m guessing you don’t have a mortgage or family to support,

I do actually, about $800k NZD (460k eur). No kids though.
    if faced with two options Dublin for €350k or enfield for €250k ... which is better to choose?
    for me the Dublin one without question. The time wasted commuting, the cost of that commute, the stress it places on you long term and the opportunity costs of those lost hours is easily worth 100k, a lot more as well tbh. 1 hour extra commute x 5 days x each way x 48 weeks = 480 hours a year. Even if you only value you time at minimum wages thats almost 5k a year in opportunity costs, never mind the actual commuting costs on top. You could see your kids for an extra couple of hours a day or exercise or anything, are you seriously telling me its not worth it?

Advertisement