Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media and eir Sport join forces to combine sports offering for Irish viewers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Virgin Media Sport - referring in this case to the channel specifically rather than VM generally - have no rugby rights though. VM do have a contract with EPCR to show one Heineken Cup game each round but my understanding is that specifically requires FTA coverage. Ditto for the Six Nations.

It may be bad news for Eir Sport customers on Sky, who will be losing eir Sport 2 which is being replaced with VM Sport.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

icdg wrote: »
    Virgin Media Sport - referring in this case to the channel specifically rather than VM generally - have no rugby rights though. VM do have a contract with EPCR to show one Heineken Cup game each round but my understanding is that specifically requires FTA coverage. Ditto for the Six Nations.

It may be bad news for Eir Sport customers on Sky, who will be losing eir Sport 2 which is being replaced with VM Sport.

Isn't Eir SPort 2 where they traditionally aired the Pro14?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Oh FFS. This is all starting to really piss me off. The P14 was covered across 1 & 2 from memory. Everyone so eager to get their slice of the pie that in the end the customer, who ultimately pays for every bit of the pie, loses out. It explains why Eir never bothered responding to my query about what games they will and won't be showing because its starting to look like that could depend on who your TV is with.

This is turning into a bit of a shambles.

When is Eir's contract with the Pro14 up?

The end of the 20/21 season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭PMC83

Two more years with eir. I wonder will we see Virgin put in a bid when its up? Or would it even make sense considering their newly announced deal. Its all pretty messy.

The winners here are definitely the Virgin customers. Pain in the arse for Sky ones, and for anyone who swapped from Virgin to Eir as a whole last summer.

Home of rugby my arse. Lost BT after a year and now sharing their sports channels with another provider. I'd be surprised if Eir lasts much long in its current form, seems an absolute mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Games were shown on Eir Sport 2 because it is/was a clone of Premier Sports. If Premier were carrying the game, it would be on Eir Sport 2 by default and therefore no point in having it on Eir Sport 1. Am I right in that?

Now that Premier seem to be doing their own thing, there would be no real reason to have Pro14 games on Eir Sport 2 over 1?

Besides, the number of people subscribing to Eir Sport via their Sky box must be hovering close to zero at this point. So who does it affect?

This is a good news story for Eir subscribers and VM subscribers, surely.

Games were shown on Eir Sport 2 because it is/was a clone of Premier Sports. If Premier were carrying the game, it would be on Eir Sport 2 by default and therefore no point in having it on Eir Sport 1. Am I right in that?

Now that Premier seem to be doing their own thing, there would be no real reason to have Pro14 games on Eir Sport 2 over 1?

Besides, the number of people subscribing to Eir Sport via their Sky box must be hovering close to zero at this point. So who does it affect?

Man I'm delighted, its as if my kids know theres a 7.35 kick off and decide to not go asleep. A least now I can pause the games

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Not quite, a few times eir sport 2 had separate programming to premier sports, particularly if there was two Irish teams playing at similar times, but premier sports had a different event showing.

Could mean the only way to 'legally' see some of the Irish games is deferred coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

PMC83 wrote: »

The winners here are definitely the Virgin customers. Pain in the arse for Sky ones, and for anyone who swapped from Virgin to Eir as a whole last summer.

Meh...I'm finished with virgin for good. Their tv box is rubbish...Like beyond bad. The amount of fcuking around with games is gone beyond ridiculous now. The pro 14 aren't doing themselves any favours with this crack.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Meh...I'm finished with virgin for good. Their tv box is rubbish...Like beyond bad. The amount of fcuking around with games is gone beyond ridiculous now. The pro 14 aren't doing themselves any favours with this crack.

Being honest the only thing I really watch on TV is rugby, and the pro14 provides some decent watching most weekends so I'll be sticking with it.

Eir are just so tricky to deal with, really bad customer service, Virgins isn't so bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mfceiling wrote: »

I doubt the Pro14 have any part in this. This is a decision Eir Sport have made to try to save themselves. Without football they are screwed. The tie up with VM gets them Champions League, Europa League and international football.

Eir need to drop their price for Sky subscribers, but can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

awec wrote: »
    Eir need to drop their price for Sky subscribers, but can't see it happening.

I think eir want to be off the Sky platform. They are paying Sky to be carried on it.

Delivering their product over the broadband they provide makes sense for them.

Does anyone at all know for sure what the status is of televised games in Ireland? Do Eir have all provincial games live or just all games played here in Ireland? Do they have deferred coverage of those games they dont have live? Is it possible to get all of the Eir channels necessary to watch the P14 and get BT for the HEC? Will Premier be geo-blocked entirely for the P14 or just not available on VM/Eir?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Does anyone at all know for sure what the status is of televised games in Ireland? Do Eir have all provincial games live or just all games played here in Ireland? Do they have deferred coverage of those games they dont have live? Is it possible to get all of the Eir channels necessary to watch the P14 and get BT for the HEC? Will Premier be geo-blocked entirely for the P14 or just not available on VM/Eir?

Can't answer first two questions, but:

Is it possible to get all of the Eir channels necessary to watch the P14 and get BT for the HEC?

Yes, but only via Sky, and it requires a subscription to Sky Sports Extra and Eir separately. Eir / Virgin TV customers cannot get Champions Cup coverage, bar the one game per round that's on FTA.

Will Premier be geo-blocked entirely for the P14 or just not available on VM/Eir?

Premier is likely to be geo-blocked entirely while showing Pro14 games, since Eir have exclusive rights for broadcasting the Pro14 in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

even before the current uncertainty Eir did not show all Pro14 games live. some were deferred coverage

however they did show all provincial games either themselves or via Premier sports coverage

it is not clear how they will be able to show all provincial games LIVE where they are on at the same time

Riskymove wrote: »
    even before the current uncertainty Eir did not show all Pro14 games live. some were deferred coverage

however they did show all provincial games either themselves or via Premier sports coverage

it is not clear how they will be able to show all provincial games LIVE where they are on at the same time

If Eir Sport 2 is to be a clone of Virgin Sport, as is suggested, then they can't. Eir will only have 1 channel, so for them to cover all games games will have to never clash with each other or with other sport.

We can't be certain re coverage but we know eir/tg4 will be showing the vast majority of games.
    Eir sport 1 and 2 will still be on the eir sports pack (only eir sport 1 on Sky).
    The question is whether eir will cover any of the games on premier sports (ulster, scottish and welsh games mostly). Will they provide a separate feed with separate commentary of an Ulster game or just simply not show it.

I think we may see very few Ulster games on eir sport this year as Premier Sports will have them.

Some games may appear on Freesports HD. It is now on the eir sport pack but will be blocked on Sky. It is also on fta satellite.

If Eir Sport 2 is to be a clone of Virgin Sport, as is suggested, then they can't. Eir will only have 1 channel, so for them to cover all games games will have to never clash with each other or with other sport.

Eir Sport 2 will continue, just will not be available via Sky dish. It will still be available on the Eir Sport app.

From looking at the fixture list, for a number of clashes, TG4 will have one game and Eir the other.

Be graaand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Where is this coming from?
    I cant see any mention of Eir sport 2 becomming a clone of VM Sport.
    The article states
    Under the agreement, Virgin Media Sport — will be available to eir customers as part of their sports pack, while in turn, eir Sport will now be available to Virgin Media TV customers.

Both broadcasters say the new offerings will come at no extra cost for existing customers.

Sounds like adding channels, not merging them.

Eir advertise it as:
    •Home of the Guinness PRO14 - all 152 games including at least 40 Munster & Leinster matches

this is as part of the latest publicity with VM

note the word LIVE is once again missing

We can't be certain re coverage but we know eir/tg4 will be showing the vast majority of games.
    Eir sport 1 and 2 will still be on the eir sports pack (only eir sport 1 on Sky).
    The question is whether eir will cover any of the games on premier sports (ulster, scottish and welsh games mostly). Will they provide a separate feed with separate commentary of an Ulster game or just simply not show it.

I think we may see very few Ulster games on eir sport this year as Premier Sports will have them.

Some games may appear on Freesports HD. It is now on the eir sport pack but will be blocked on Sky. It is also on fta satellite.

Most of the Ulster games have Eir listed on the pro14 site.

Eir Sport 2 will continue, just will not be available via Sky dish. It will still be available on the Eir Sport app.

so now the suggestion is non eir broadband subscribers who pay Eir 29 a month will not only lose BT but also have half the eir channels?

29 a month for just Eirsport1??

From looking at the fixture list, for a number of clashes, TG4 will have one game and Eir the other.

Be graaand.

But what channel will Eir show the Pro14 on? Is it going to be spread across 1 and 2? Or just on 1?

But what channel will Eir show the Pro14 on? Is it going to be spread across 1 and 2? Or just on 1?

On a typical Friday evening 2 or 3 games were shown around 7.30.
    Eir sport 1 normally carried an Irish game with maybe TG4 also carrying it.
    Eir sport 2 carried the Premier Sports 1 game.

So what will eir do now they have only 1 channel.
    Let themselves and TG4 carry the same game and not show the other live? Maybe deferred coverage?

It would be a shame to miss out on the Welsh and Scottish games. Sometimes they were far more entertaining than an Irish home game against the Dragons/Zebre/Kings.

I already said "be graaaand", I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They will need both channels to show simultaneous kick offs. I don’t even need to look past Round 1 where Scarlets v Connacht and Treviso v Leinster kick off simultaneous. So yes, eir Sport 2 will be used. (Edit. That might be a bad example because eir isn’t showing Connacht- but in Round 4 they are promising coverage of the simultaneous Munster v Ospreys and Ulster v Cardiff).

It won’t be the case that eir Sport 2 will be carrying VM Sport programming as it once did Premier Sports programming. It is going to be closed completely on satellite and its EPG position given to VM Sport. It will still continue as a separate channel on cable and for Eir Broadband / certain eir mobile customers with access to the app.

I already said "be graaaand", I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it.

ah, sure look it

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    They will need both channels to show simultaneous kick offs. I don’t even need to look past Round 1 where Scarlets v Connacht and Treviso v Leinster kick off simultaneous. So yes, eir Sport 2 will be used.

It won’t be the case that eir Sport 2 will be carrying VM Sport programming as it once did Premier Sports programming. It is going to be closed completely on satellite and its EPG position given to VM Sport. It will still continue as a separate channel on cable and for Eir Broadband / certain eir mobile customers with access to the app.

So basically, Sky-based Eir Sport subscribers are losing a channel completely (Eir Sport 2), and all coverage of sport on that channel will be completely unavailable via any medium.

Right?

Advertisement