Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Delta - Flight with just one passenger

• 13-08-2019 10:49pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/man-given-his-own-private-flight-after-being-the-only-one-to-turn-up-for-trip-943695.html
    A man was given his own private Delta flight after he was the only person to show up for the trip.

Vincent Peone, a director from New York, was rebooked onto the empty flight after his original journey was cancelled.

The plane had to be loaded with sandbags to help evenly distribute the weight.

The director, who runs collaborative website Art Class Content, said: “It was a fun experience and I was in a good mood because my grandfather was doing better. The flight attendants really entered into the fun of it too.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

Why did they add the sand bags? Surely you can fly an empty plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Seoda1 wrote: »

Of course they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

I was on an eirjet flight from Cork - Dublin maybe 15ish years ago and there was only 4 people on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I flew on a Delta 727 back in the 90's with just my family and another passenger. It was 5 passengers in total, with 7 crew.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're the sole passenger on an Aer Arran Islands flight, you're made sit in the unused first officers seat and told not to touch anything. Happens more often than on a larger airline and is a bit more interesting!

• Advertisement

Myself and the wife went to New York with aer lingus (I think it was an a330) and there were no more than 40 passengers .
    It was strange being on an almost empty widebody.
    Was back was packed to the rafters :(

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

about 3 years ago i flew from Dublin to Cambridge with City Jet and i was the only passenger. My bag was delivered to the steps of the plane on arrival. Coming back there were only 4 people, can see why the route was cancelled quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I flew to poland with Lot polish airlines in the early 2000's, huge plane, just me and an embassy guy and 2 cabin crew, felt like a god lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I've had to do it on small ATR aircraft, add ballast to counteract the weight up front and the fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

Back a long time ago, I think around 1994, I took a BA 747 from Johannesburg to LHR, there were only 4 other pax on the flight.

Crew told us to stretch out on the middle seats and enjoy the space! And that they would be down the back, and if we wanted anything just press the bell or wander down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

L1011 wrote: »
    If you're the sole passenger on an Aer Arran Islands flight, you're made sit in the unused first officers seat and told not to touch anything. Happens more often than on a larger airline and is a bit more interesting!

Thats an illegal act if its a scheduled public flight

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stanford wrote: »
    Thats an illegal act if its a scheduled public flight

The Islander is still explicitly sold as a 9 passenger aircraft which requires use of that seat. I'm presuming the important controls are locked out - I didn't try!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I was on a seaplane flight last month. 11 seater aircraft, (DH-3 Otter)
    The pilot put me in the cockpit for the first sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

it looks like a CRJ - both CRJs and Q400s are naturally nose heavy and for base training or ferry flights we need to put anywhere between 200 to 400 kilos of ballast in the most rear compartment to get it within CofG envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Flew to Paris after the attack’s with only about a half dozen people on the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Best free advertising any company could ever get.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've been one of four people on a South African Airways Dash 8 flight from Joburg to Richards Bay. Not the same as the OP, but still pretty unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I flew Dubai-Brisbane-Auckland on an A380 with Emirates two years years ago. The DXB-BNE legs was full but I’d say there was 50-60 at best on the BNE-AKL leg. Similar to a poster above, cabin crew told us to feel free to stretch out across the rows. It was quite a surreal experience to be on an almost empty A380!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

about 15 people on a 757 in the 90's to levkas it was shipping sailing gear at the start of the season we were going out to route find for possible mountain bike tours !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Tefral

I was one of only 2 passengers to fly back from London to Dublin on an A321 in 2012. It was very weird.

I thought the flights couldnt take off unless they had someone in emergency exit seats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Tefral wrote: »
    I thought the flights couldnt take off unless they had someone in emergency exit seats?

No, the exits just have to be clear of obstruction and cant have anyone in them who is unable to operate them for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

IATA rules state that only licenced crew members are allowed in the cockpit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Tefral wrote: »
    I was one of only 2 passengers to fly back from London to Dublin on an A321 in 2012. It was very weird.

On the EI A321, there is 1 crew seated at each pair of doors. Airbus doors are so easy to open, just pull the handle up

Aer Arann Islands are not a member of the IATA.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

There's no real defined cockpit on an Islander, the whole inside of the aircraft is basically one compartment, both the pilots seats and passenger seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I flew Boston to Shannon last year on the October Bank Holiday weekend and there was 12 pax on the Aer Lingus 757!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Have you ever been in an Islander??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Best free advertising any company could ever get.

Not for the shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

in 1991, we picked up a flight from Rome to London that was coming from Japan.
    it had two aisles, don't know how many seats per row. I think there were four other passangers in all. it was the time of the gulf war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

It's ballast , to correct the aircrafts "trim" .
    If incorrectly trimmed the aircraft would fly at a slight angle .

Advertisement