Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Path dipping dublin city council

Options
  • 04-08-2019 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

I have a Terrace with no driveway and i want to get the cars off the road and pave the front garden, i have had multiple back surgery and need easy access.

I know its become more tricky to get this past the council.
    Thing is the council have started to renew the paths on the street and wanted to get it dipped while they are doing it so it will be ready when i sort the fron garden.

Any tips ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have a Terrace with no driveway and i want to get the cars off the road and pave the front garden, i have had multiple back surgery and need easy access.

I know its become more tricky to get this past the council.
    Thing is the council have started to renew the paths on the street and wanted to get it dipped while they are doing it so it will be ready when i sort the fron garden.

Any tips ?

You need to get planning for the vehicular entrance first.
    Then you apply and pay for the footpath dishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

If i apply will the lads dish the path ? I can show them the application no diference to the sub contractors what they do

If i apply will the lads dish the path ? I can show them the application no diference to the sub contractors what they do

No, in my experience. They have to put the paths 100% the way it was.
    The sub contractors are inspected before and after the works.

Also, they don’t know what width you will get approved for. I’ve lodged some for people and they were allowed the full 3.6m and others have been conditioned back to 2.9, 3m etc based on the original widths of their gardens.

This assumes your in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Do you have pay parking on the street? DCC policy is not to sacrifice acpay parking bay for an access way to offstreet parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Hi Danielle, I have tried to message you but unfortunately your mail box is full

(Re 520i)

Sorry to message on here

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thing is the council have started to renew the paths on the street and wanted to get it dipped while they are doing it
    Talk to the area engineer now (today) and ask the path to be dished. It's not a matter of just asking the people on site - they have no authority to change things.
    Dished kerbs have thicker concrete, so there is a cost involved.
    Marcusm wrote: »
    Do you have pay parking on the street? DCC policy is not to sacrifice acpay parking bay for an access way to offstreet parking.
    They will, but it might cost you €5,000 or so.

Hi Danielle, I have tried to message you but unfortunately your mail box is full

(Re 520i)

Sorry to message on here

Thanks

sorry about that i have cleared out some older messages

Marcusm wrote: »

no it is street parking but it is not paid, its not close enough to city centre.

Victor wrote: »
    Talk to the area engineer now (today) and ask the path to be dished. It's not a matter of just asking the people on site - they have no authority to change things.

Dished kerbs have thicker concrete, so there is a cost involved.

They will, but it might cost you €5,000 or so.

i have seen an very recent application that has been approved for the same road and house as mine.

we have approached the company that submitted as it would be an identical application to apply on our behalf but they are too busy.

i have seen an very recent application that has been approved for the same road and house as mine.

we have approached the company that submitted as it would be an identical application to apply on our behalf but they are too busy.

Where are you based?
    Most larger firms wont take on this work as its too small and not enough money relative to time spent on it.

• Advertisement

based in Dublin 11

it would be an identical application to the approved one, so all they would really have to do would be change the address.

based in Dublin 11

it would be an identical application to the approved one, so all they would really have to do would be change the address.

That’s not how it works.
    All the drawings have to be tailored to suit you house and surrounding dwellings.
    The application firm may be a simple address change but they still have to survey the site, prepare drawings, arrange newspaper notice, site notice, OS maps and lodge all to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

It's not a quick process, I did it recently.

Full planning process, which can be costly enough. Then once that was approved, made the application to the council, received approval then went to wood quay and made payment, they came out about 3 weeks after that.

All in all, it cost just under 2k and took about 5 months. They did approve the maximum width though. If you have any trees in the way, approval is also needed from relevant section of DCC also afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Just had public footpath in front off my house (side gate and wall on my property) dug up and replaced as months ago I think Irish Water or Dublin City Council fixed a leak and just did a patch up job.

I already have a drive in with a dip. This was not effected before so was left alone. However the path they did replace did not have a dip and had a small part with tar. They repaced it all with concrete with a dip.

It's no big drama but is putting in a dip correct when no dip was before? Thought it a bit strange but maybe it's the correct procedure. To be clear I have had no interaction with Irish Water, Dublin City Council or contractors.

Advertisement