Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

D&D Tutorial Game: Big Trouble in Little Nectopia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Necro wrote: »
    OOC: Nebel if Calippo wishes to not be seen by NukLok, gimme a Stealth (Dexterity) check there. Target 15. If not, OG will see you

Rolz Room

OOC: GIBBERISH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I finish buckling on my armour then I tear the cooked spitroast pheasant in two and offer one half to the dragonborn.
    "Now, we go fight!"
    I walk outside into the clean fresh air.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

Showing his usual distaste for his human half and all things human, Hom, makes a show of tossing his mead to the floor. "Vile concoction wasn't worth my coin" he shouts at the bar keep.

"I'll be outside, when you muster your courage" he scoffs at the captain.

He had no interest in being in this company to which he was gang pressed, but the chance at picking a few meagre coins from Goblin corpses perked his ears. "Gold = passage home" was the mantra that kept him going as he grabbed his shield from the floor surprising himself as he bumps off the new comer to the table. Easily ignoring the impulse to reach for his spatoon he makes for the door. "Praise be for the weak swill in the place", he thinks to himself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hemsworth smirks at Hom as he storms out.

'There's something very familiar about that' he muses to himself.

Suddenly a second guardsman rushes in and up to Hemsworth muttering in his ear. Hemsworth's face grows grave as the information is relayed to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Star pulls at the grass and a clump breaks free. He rattles the clump until most of the earth on the clump has dislodged from the clump and fallen harmlessly back onto the ground. He then divides the clump into halves and halves and halves. He then discards the mess over his head onto his back. He notices the elf exiting the tavern. He lays his head back down to the ground and falls back asleep again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hemsworth smirks at Hom as he storms out.

'There's something very familiar about that' he muses to himself.

Suddenly a second guardsman rushes in and up to Hemsworth muttering in his ear. Hemsworth's face grows grave as the information is relayed to him.

Oltu and Zahafdyke can make out a few words passively.

'Raid' and 'Forest' primarily. To hear more they would have to listen in....

OOC: Oltu, Zahafdyke gimme me a Perception (Wis) Check if you wish to eavesdrop. Normally I won't prompt you like this but given a few are new and learning I'll give you this one :) Clara, it's #d20 in the rolz room linked above, target is 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Despite not wishing to acknowledge a leader in Hemsworth, or whatever his name is, Oltu attempts to listen into the conversation.... nothing further can be heard.

"Bozo I mean Master er Captain, what's the deal ? I'm here cause I wanna be, if we don't have the info we can't help and get everyone back to normal life"

Oltu looks around at everyone hopefully that someone else wants to be here as much as she does. Is that a glint in the eye she sees.

Nuk throws the half eaten pheasant to a small cat that is cowering in fear in the shadows. "There you are little hunter, eat." He settles across from the door and lights a pipe in what might be the last peaceful moment of the night.

OOC:
    If I see the messenger guardsman come out alone from the tavern I'm going to try and engage in banter and gossip in a 'Grunts Vs Officers - We are in the trenches together - Officers will get us killed, it's only the Sargents that really know whats going on' fashion and try to gleam any information about whats happening.
    SMoking_20140630-WWILENS-slide-FJRH-jumbo.png?itok=D8gkctqI

Clarabel wrote: »
    Despite not wishing to acknowledge a leader in Hemsworth, or whatever his name is, Oltu attempts to listen into the conversation.... nothing further can be heard.

"Bozo I mean Master er Captain, what's the deal ? I'm here cause I wanna be, if we don't have the info we can't help and get everyone back to normal life"

Oltu looks around at everyone hopefully that someone else wants to be here as much as she does. Is that a glint in the eye she sees.

OOC: Ok so generally when I ask for a roll you can just do as I'm doing here, post OOC and the number and I'll narrate the outcome, but you're new, so I'll forgive you this time :D

For those still learning, Clara rolled a 7 in the dice room. Even with her modifier due to her stats (Wisdom 16) which give a modifier of (+3) she didn't hit the target number of 12 so it's a fail.

Fourier also attempted but only got an 8 with his modifiers. So no dice folks!

Oltu strains to overhear the remainder of the conversation, but is unable to do so.

Captain Hemsworth turns as Oltu speaks. The other guard leaves again as quickly as they entered.

'Patience soldier. As I was saying I was waiting on the go ahead for a patrol, which has now been approved. So it's time for us to move out!'

He turns and addresses the others in the room.

'I will meet you at the smelter in one hour, I trust you will be all adequately prepared for the journey.'

He addresses Zahafdyke directly next.

'You, wizard. I trust you are combat ready, yes? Assess the party and give me your best marching order, discuss it with the others if you must. You should be on your guard from the moment we enter the Black Forest. All sorts of foul beasts and dangers lurk within.'

OldGoat wrote: »
    Nuk throws the half eaten pheasant to a small cat that is cowering in fear in the shadows. "There you are little hunter, eat." He settles across from the door and lights a pipe in what might be the last peaceful moment of the night.

OOC:
    If I see the messenger guardsman come out alone from the tavern I'm going to try and engage in banter and gossip in a 'Grunts Vs Officers - We are in the trenches together - Officers will get us killed, it's only the Sargents that really know whats going on' fashion and try to gleam any information about whats happening.
    SMoking_20140630-WWILENS-slide-FJRH-jumbo.png?itok=D8gkctqI

NukLok spies the second guardsmen entering the tavern.

A short time later the guardsmen comes back out, a slight look of concern on his face and muttering to himself.

• Advertisement

"You look troubled and a troubled messenger means bad news for the rest of us. What are the rumours? Any new **** happening or is it just the usual **** coming down from above?"

Nuk offers the glowing pipe in a comradely fashion.

"You look troubled and a troubled messenger means bad news for the rest of us. What are the rumours? Any new **** happening or is it just the usual **** coming down from above?"

Nuk offers the glowing pipe in a comradely fashion.

The soldier takes the pipe with a nod of thanks.

'Aye. It's nothing really. Well... nothing I can talk about anyways. Captain says to meet by the smelter in one hour, you'll be going patrolling the Black Forest.'

He hands back the pipe.

'Rumours, let me see. Can you keep a secret, friend? As thanks for the puff?'

Grinning a conspiratorial grin Nuk replies
    "Let's just say that I've never been caught telling secrets."

Grinning a conspiratorial grin Nuk replies
    "Let's just say that I've never been caught telling secrets."

The guardsman looks nervous.

'Well.... listen, I don't know anything about the patrol, all I got told was that it got the go ahead.'

His voice lowers.

'But - I was out there last week - I don't know what exactly they're doing, but they seem to be looking for something. A... tree is all I know. Something about a tree. Just... just be careful, that's all.'

The guardsman nods and scurries off towards the barracks.

"Thank you friend, be safe."
    Nuk seeks out Oltu the druid and pulls him aside to a quiet corner well away from everyone else.
    "You know trees and stuff right? I've just found out that there is something in the woods that is of interest to our leaders, something, dangerous, something treelike.
    OK I know that sounds stupid but just keep it in mind tonight."

"Zahafdyke, I have some tracking skills. I can be useful in the front."

Nuklok spends an hour scavenging around tavern, the barracks and the town trying to find any health potions he might trade or barter for. He'll then head to the smelter to meet up with the patrol.

"Grumps, gosh that's really handy information to have. ".

Walking away barely audible " Do you want another dri......I'm just going to....let me kno....we going..."

Oltu already deep in thought trying to recall what she from years of study, walked back to the table where she sat staring into space. God help anyone who disturbed her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Zahafdyke goes for an idle walk about the town, sure now the guard will have some kind of lethal duty for him in short order. He catches up with Oltu.

"Oy you!" he says as he runs up.

"You a druid? What exactly can you do? Best to know the capabilities of other wielders of the great art you might be travelling with, even if they're..." he searches for non-offensive ways to compare a druid and a wizard "...more rustic than academic"

Star awakens. He gets up and walk towards the tavern.

He looks around for water, a river or lake, and if he sees either, he will go there for a swim and bathe.

sKeith wrote: »
    Star awakens. He gets up and walk towards the tavern.

He looks around for water, a river or lake, and if he sees either, he will go there for a swim and bathe.

There is a worn path leading east just beside the smelter. A crude sign is drawn on the entrance to the path:

'Ye Olde Bathing Spot.'

Nuklok spends an hour scavenging around tavern, the barracks and the town trying to find any health potions he might trade or barter for. He'll then head to the smelter to meet up with the patrol.

In the barracks there is a small trading post. There are a variety of small bottles of liquid, available for purchase with credits from the meagre salary recruits are provided with. A number of weapons hang from the back of the ramshackle hut as well. Daggers, short swords, bows and arrows.

OOC: If you want any equipment you can sign for it and it will be taken out of your salary

• Advertisement

I take a healing potion and tie it around my neck with a string.

I then check the quality of the longbows, daggers and any rapiers that might be there on the off-chance that there might be better than the run of the mill standard stock I am carrying.

Finally I pick through the barrels of arrows selecting the best quality I can find and restock my quiver. (20)

I take a healing potion and tie it around my neck with a string.

I then check the quality of the longbows, daggers and any rapiers that might be there on the off-chance that there might be better than the run of the mill standard stock I am carrying.

Finally I pick through the barrels of arrows selecting the best quality I can find and restock my quiver. (20)

A little gnome hands over the equipment with a smile on his face.

'Healing potion, yes that's definitely what we stock here.'

The bottle is pink.

The weapons are pretty basic, no better or worse than what NukLok currently has on his possession.

The gnome pulls out a book and quill.

'Sign here, 50 credits.'

Star feels much refreshed after his bathe and swim.
    He head back up towards the tavern.

On entering the tavern, he seeks out the elf he spotted and if they are here, he will join their company, if not, he will sit at any table with an abundance of food, if no table has an abundance of food, he will just sit anywhere.

sKeith wrote: »
    Star feels much refreshed after his bathe and swim.
    He head back up towards the tavern.

On entering the tavern, he seeks out the elf he spotted and if they are here, he will join their company, if not, he will sit at any table with an abundance of food, if not table has an abundance of food, he will just sit anywhere.

The main table around which just Nyshamyla now sits has food on it, bread, roast beef, and a jug of ale left over from the rest of the party's meal. Nyshamyla's plate has half a roast pheasant on it as well.

No sign of the elf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

In the barracks there is a small trading post. There are a variety of small bottles of liquid, available for purchase with credits from the meagre salary recruits are provided with. A number of weapons hang from the back of the ramshackle hut as well. Daggers, short swords, bows and arrows.

OOC: If you want any equipment you can sign for it and it will be taken out of your salary

Ooc: i assume we have or character equipment on board or do we have to sign out equipment in this one?

Hom, observes the activity around him and grunts, amused by the whispering amongst those in his company and attempts to garner tid bits of information from messangers. "See Goblin, stick Goblin" he mutters to himself. Hom doesn't like to share his tobacco.

He glances impatiently at the tavern for the captain and their orders, instantly regretting the lack of food in his stomach as the smell of cooked meat hits his nostrils again. He searches for some rations from his pack and finding he's out, he makes his way to the barracks in search of field rations and to fill his water skin before the captain comes with their instructions for the day.

Guffy wrote: »
    Ooc: i assume we have or character equipment on board or do we have to sign out equipment in this one?

Hom, observes the activity around him and grunts, amused by the whispering amongst those in his company and attempts to garner tid bits of information from messangers. "See Goblin, stick Goblin" he mutters to himself. Hom doesn't like to share his tobacco.

He glances impatiently at the tavern for the captain and their orders, instantly regretting the lack of food in his stomach as the smell of cooked meat hits his nostrils again. He searches for some rations from his pack and finding he's out, he makes his way to the barracks in search of field rations and to fill his water skin before the captain comes with their instructions for the day.

OOC: You have your starting equipment, anything else is extra

At the trading post Hom runs into Nuklok trading with the gnome.

'Oh, a halfie, wait yer turn halfie. Ye can get water from the stream yonder past the smelter.'

Fourier wrote: »
    Zahafdyke goes for an idle walk about the town, sure now the guard will have some kind of lethal duty for him in short order. He catches up with Oltu.

"Oy you!" he says as he runs up.

"You a druid? What exactly can you do? Best to know the capabilities of other wielders of the great art you might be travelling with, even if they're..." he searches for non-offensive ways to compare a druid and a wizard "...more rustic than academic"

Oltu growls "years I've spent studying, years"

Oltu goes back to rumbling through the catalogues in her brain.

OCC: I'm in London, can't recall what skills I have. It'll be tomorrow before I can check and let you know. I would have picked druid for healing and protection spells.

The main table around which just Nyshamyla now sits has food on it, bread, roast beef, and a jug of ale left over from the rest of the party's meal. Nyshamyla's plate has half a roast pheasant on it as well.

No sign of the elf.

Star observes Nyshamyla for signs of hostility as he helps himself to the food on the table, if no signs of hostility appear, Star will eat until full.

oCc: how much money do I have.

• Advertisement

Clarabel wrote: »
    oCc: how much money do I have.

OOC: Nothing at the moment, you haven't been paid. But you can get items from the tavern or the trading post for credits

Advertisement