Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a let down

• 13-08-2019 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

So many planned days out and camping trips cancelled this year because of the ****e weather. I patiently wait through the misery of an Irish winter and spring for a decent summer (based on last years good fortune). But this year NOTHING, i could count the days of sunshine on my hands. What a ****ing let down. I think there should be a grant awarded to those who pay tax in this **** hole that if there is less than 20 days of sunshine during the summer months they will be awarded €500 to go on a holiday to make up for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

This summer wasn't the worst. Not a patch on last year, but still not the worst, not even close. There were plenty of good days with decent heat and sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I thought it was lovely....

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

I guess it depends on where you live, limerick was piss poor

and the planned trips were in the kerry area which was also poor

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

daedal wrote: »
    So many planned days out and camping trips cancelled this year because of the ****e weather. I patiently wait through the misery of an Irish winter and spring for a decent summer (based on last years good fortune). But this year NOTHING, i could count the days of sunshine on my hands. What a ****ing let down. I think there should be a grant awarded to those who pay tax in this **** hole that if there is less than 20 days of sunshine during the summer months they will be awarded €500 to go on a holiday to make up for it.

I'm over and back between Spain and Ireland, remote working and then back in office, and it feels like I'm travelling between 2 hemispheres, the weather changes so much between the two countries. It's not like as if I were going between Spain and France, say, and it's still summer.
    This isn't a summer as a continental European would know it. For people in Spain, this is spring or autumn, sometimes even winter.
    But I must say the cooler temperatures here the last few weeks are a relief. Sometimes it can just be too hot abroad.
    I think it's more the rain is the problem. It's pretty bad. But I have learned to accept that the summers here are sh*t. Simple as.

• Advertisement

Sometimes it feels like living here is punishment for something you didn't do, i don't think there are many redeeming qualities for this country. Good weather is the only thing people can look forward to and when you don't get that, the country presents as a miserable cesspit of high rent, greed and rain.

I think you may be just having a bad day?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

Sometimes it feels like living here is punishment for something you didn't do, i don't think there are many redeeming qualities for this country. Good weather is the only thing people can look forward to and when you don't get that, the country presents as a miserable cesspit of high rent, greed and rain.

I feel the exact same way tbh
    If it wasn't for my solid job and my daughter i be after leaving ages ago

Even south england get better weather than us

I think work is the real problem. :)

Plenty of nice days even in a cr@p summer. Its just that mostly you're looking at them from inside your office/factory window. Then when the weekend finally arrives its a washout.

Friend of mine isnt working and he's telling me on Saturday of all the lovely beach walks he had this week and the lovely round of golf he played on Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Our weather is good as we don't get extremes like some other places. There's a reason why lots of people like our green island and our weather is the reason.

• Advertisement

I think you may be just having a bad day?

Maybe a whole summer of bad days, so much that i’m considering moving abroad again. I’ve never been presented with any benefits while working here, underpaid, overworked, overpriced accommodation, overpriced nightlife and entertainment. It really is a terrible place to live.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Our weather is good as we don't get extremes like some other places. There's a reason why lots of people like our green island and our weather is the reason.

We get extreme rain, I hate rain I’d prefer extreme sun

Plop onto your couch, get a good book out, look occasionally at the rain outside, cup of tea in hand. Life will feel much better that way.

Thats what I'm going to do shortly. Just got 'The Accidental Time Machine', sounds highly entertaining. Just have to wait a little for the kindle to recharge. I feel its going to be a nice evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I'm between Dublin and Sligo and I think this summer has not been to bad. Yes there have been wet days but every summer has those but we didn't experience the horrible events of 2007,2008, 2012 where it rained non stop all summer (in Sligo anyway). Talking to locals and farmers and they say they same....this is not the worse summer we have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Don’t get me started on Met Eir giving the wrong forecast every other day. I’m sure there’s already a thread for that.

Don’t get me started on Met Eir giving the wrong forecast every other day. I’m sure there’s already a thread for that.

Google weather has been quite accurate for where I live, the weather to date has been spot on and I trust their weather forecast for the next 9 days.. ughh

https://imgur.com/a/5eeHqbE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

This summer wasn't the worst. Not a patch on last year, but still not the worst, not even close. There were plenty of good days with decent heat and sunshine.

well ya if your up in dublin maybe but if your in cork kerry galway etc its been brutal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

look at all the outdoor events through the year messed up by our manky weather quite a few

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

Indeed Guess Eireann as we call them
    In my house

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

We get extreme rain, I hate rain I’d prefer extreme sun

We don’t really. There’s plentiful places wetter than Ireland and a very wet day is quite uncommon too. Ireland’s rain tends to be light and of the drizzly kind with a lot of low lying stratus cloud. In other words, the crap boring kind of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Me thinks that peoples expectations have been risen unrealistically high thanks to last year's beautiful spell. I never remember such melancholy after a not-terrible summer.

Granted the last while has been fairly ****e.

• Give over. We live next to an imposing ocean; one of the commonalities of a maritime climate is an abundance of rainfall. We haven't fared badly at all this summer, July in particular. I went down to west Kerry (one of the wettest parts of Ireland) on Sunday, returning this evening. Hardly a drop fell, and the sun unveiled the mountains in impressive detail. Better than expected, and I thanked my lucky stars. Next time it could be a washout. Take the good with the bad, you're not entitled to benign weather on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

As I keep saying how people feel about this year’s summer will depend largely on where they are.

The East has been far drier, warmer and sunnier than the West. So although it still hasn’t been a great summer it’s been bearable.

Also, people talking about how sh*t Ireland is because of the weather need to remember that HOLIDAYING in places like Spain, Portugal and Greece etc is far different than LIVING there.

Life is tough enough in Spain and Greece on Spanish or Greek wages etc. The problems that exist here also largely exist there and after a while no amount of sun makes up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Try living in galway .
    Meeting people and most are saying " it hasn't been to bad this summer ".
    Based on what ???
    Do these people beleive the world is flat and doesn't go beyond mullingar ?
    It's August for Christ sake and we get warm rain .
    The tourists are the lucky ones .... They know they're here for 7 to 14 days and will soon be back to seasons.
    The year in galway is split in 2 .
    Cold damp rain or warm rain .

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭alentejo

July was OK however its always August that things go really downhill. No doubt that September will be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭boetstark

I know we have very variable weather in Ireland but I am amazed that the summer was so different in your locality .
    Here in the midwest summer 2019 has been despicable. Plants rotting in pots green areas muddy and numerous outdoor activities cancelled. So disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This summer has been horrible. We've had a reasonable amount of sun and an ok bit of heat, albeit less here in Cork that other parts of the country, but the humidity for me has been almost unbearable. Its just so muggy all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭boetstark

Del2005 wrote: »

People visiting like our climate because it is short term. My inlaws returned here from San Diego a few years back. They moved back to San Diego after 16 months as they couldn't hack the rain and greyness. We moved back in 2001 after living in Jersey CI. We still bemoan the Irish climate.
    We do get extremes and that is clouds and rain 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

June was generally wet in Dublin. July was good and August has been absolutely brutal. Reminds me of summer 2012 at the moment.

Hurricane Charly hit in August 86, thats all we need now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

Lots of family days cancelled here as well ...while the rain days have probably been the same as other years this year it seemed to rain a lot heavier and for prolonged periods where as before we got a showery day which you could work around.
    I volunteer for various charity out door events and I depend on reasonably good weather but I have had more cancellations this year than any other.
    Plus a lot less camping trips or camping trips we have had to cut short.

Advertisement