Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Richard Thompson Vicar Street August 10th

• 11-08-2019 8:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

My first time to see him live, so glad to get the opportunity. Went with my dad, who introduced me to his music, he's a similar age to Thompson, couple of years older. What a performance, an acoustic set that would blow away most fully electric bands. The energy, passion and enthusiasm he possesses is amazing. We sat right up the front so had a great view of a master guitar player in action. Sound quality and acoustics were superb at the venue.
    His voice is simply superb, my dad thinks it's getting better with age.
    One of the best gigs I've been to. His repertoire of songs would be the envy of any musician. Simply awesome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I was there too and had the same feelings about it. The last few times I saw him (Vicar St and NCH) he had the band and he really doesn't need it. One man, one guitar (with a few pedals) and a 90 minute master class. Brilliant. I think he's playing Kilkenny too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

First Up wrote: »
    I was there too and had the same feelings about it. The last few times I saw him (Vicar St and NCH) he had the band and he really doesn't need it. One man, one guitar (with a few pedals) and a 90 minute master class. Brilliant. I think he's playing Kilkenny too.

Yep, just goes to show, if you have the talent you don't need any accoutrements. He is sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Great to hear. I'm heading along on Wednesday to his Kilkennt gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

I went to Vicar St also ... have been waiting to catch him live for a while. Nothing to add to what's already been said other than superb gig, amazing player and song writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Was at Cropredy at the weekend. On Friday evening he did a brilliant acoustic set and then a rocking set with Simon Nicol, Dave Pegg and Dave Mattacks.
    Brilliant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Simon201 wrote: »
    Was at Cropredy at the weekend. On Friday evening he did a brilliant acoustic set and then a rocking set with Simon Nicol, Dave Pegg and Dave Mattacks.
    Brilliant!!

That must have been great. Did they do old Fairport stuff?

First Up wrote: »
    That must have been great. Did they do old Fairport stuff?

No that was left to the main act on Saturday night! But he did do some great Thompson classics!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Glad to see such good reviews, heading to St Luke’s in Cork Thursday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

terrydel wrote: »
    My first time to see him live, so glad to get the opportunity. Went with my dad, who introduced me to his music, he's a similar age to Thompson, couple of years older. What a performance, an acoustic set that would blow away most fully electric bands. The energy, passion and enthusiasm he possesses is amazing. We sat right up the front so had a great view of a master guitar player in action. Sound quality and acoustics were superb at the venue.
    His voice is simply superb, my dad thinks it's getting better with age.
    One of the best gigs I've been to. His repertoire of songs would be the envy of any musician. Simply awesome.

I seen RT years ago in Vicar Street and had the exact same feelings coming out. He is an incredible treasure! Severely under appreciated, then again that's why we get to see him in such intimate venues!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

I seen RT years ago in Vicar Street and had the exact same feelings coming out. He is an incredible treasure! Severely under appreciated, then again that's why we get to see him in such intimate venues!

For anyone that hasn't heard them, his albums with Linda Thompson (Shoot out the lights etc.) are great.

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    For anyone that hasn't heard them, his albums with Linda Thompson (Shoot out the lights etc.) are great.

Used to have their last album together called ‘Sunnyvista’ (on cassette!) Some excellent tracks on it but it seems not available on any of the main streaming services or Amazon etc.

Managed to get it through alternative sources in the end ;) and great to hear it after many years...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Simon201 wrote: »
    Used to have their last album together called ‘Sunnyvista’ (on cassette!) Some excellent tracks on it but it seems not available on any of the main streaming services or Amazon etc.

Managed to get it through alternative sources in the end ;) and great to hear it after many years...

Their last one is actually the stunning Shoot Out the Lights. Linda is going to appear at Richard's 70th Birthday Concert in the Albert Hall at the end of September. :)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

Ah Shoot Out the Lights, yes forgot that one!

Wow that’ll be a great concert with Linda in the Albert Hall!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

"I want to see the Bright Lights tonight" would be my favourite of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

What a gig in KK last night.
    His voice is very strong, amazing guitar player, excellent lyrics, and a class back catalogue to chose from. The couple of Fairport songs were great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mobitron

What a gig in KK last night.
    His voice is very strong, amazing guitar player, excellent lyrics, and a class back catalogue to chose from. The couple of Fairport songs were great too.

Seeing him in Cork tonight - really looking forward to this now. Will be first time seeing him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Also seeing him at "Live at St. Lukes" tonight - cannot wait. He was at same venue last year - it was an amazing gig. Oooooh counting the hours.

Advertisement