Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadowrun RPG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Baggly wrote: »
    Sat/sun week. But it's more the setup and writing that I'm looking to get done between now and then.
    If that wasn't the queue for a synth-rock montage of all of us crumpling up paper, wiping our head-banded brows, bashing fists off the desk, then holding up a sheet triumphantly while someone else nods knowingly, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

So:
    1. American Troll Cyber-Samurai (Necro)
    2. American Ork Combat Mage (Baggly, tusk)
    3. African Dwarf Hacker (Banjo)
    4. Cantonese Cybernetic Elf Spy (sKeith)

That's us all set to go. I'll email character details tomorrow and put up a little bit about the rules. We'll start next Tuesday if that suits everybody.

Regarding the rules the new Shadowrun edition is like some other RPGs (e.g. Mythras, Runequest, Call of Cthulhu) where the game is designed assuming players only know the "core" of the rules and the GM knows most of the rules. So it's only this short "core" I'll be posting. It's enough rules to be able to read your character sheet.

An example might be that there are rules for being fatigued/tired which are complicated. I keep track of them but just let you know "You are tired", you don't need the mechanics.

Regarding rolling do people like to roll the (virtual) dice themselves or do they not care? Because I can simply roll them and narrate the results myself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Happy to let you roll for me Four :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Fourier wrote: »
    Regarding rolling do people like to roll the (virtual) dice themselves or do they not care? Because I can simply roll them and narrate the results myself.

Put me down as a don't care.

• Advertisement

I'm easy. Deep down I want to see it all in action just to get a better understanding of the game but not at the expense of the game - I can look it up after. Just don't roll a bunch of 1s for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Yeah if everyone is going that route I'm happy

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

You can roll for me thanks four

I have to ask, how complicated is the rolling? I read 5th edition last year and it sounded like you'd be rolling bowl-fulls of dice at any given time. Is 6th similar?

• Advertisement

Yes Baggly, fine to close now.

Banjo wrote: »
    I have to ask, how complicated is the rolling? I read 5th edition last year and it sounded like you'd be rolling bowl-fulls of dice at any given time. Is 6th similar?
    Quite similar. I'll have more later, but yeah it's piles of d6 dice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Make it rain Four

giphy.gif

Basically to explain the character sheet a little about the rules:

Whenever I think something is in doubt or there is a chance of failure I'll roll the dice. This will basically always involve testing a skill. So for example if you are trying to repair an electric device it would be the electronics skill.

The number of dice I use is the value you have in that skill + the value you have in the attribute linked to that skill. So if you have Logic 6 and Electronics 3 then I roll nine d6 dice.

Every 5 or 6 on a dice is called a hit. If you get enough hits you succeed. Typically you need 2-5 hits depending on how hard the task is.

Every skill has one single attribute linked to it.

Tomorrow I'll explain the Edge system and a bit about the weapons, since that is something you need to understand.

Reading Skills:
    Your skills have three columns on the sheet. RTG is rating, i.e. how good you are at that skill. ATT is what attribute they are linked to. And finally DP is the the skill + linked attribute, i.e. how much dice I roll when you use that skill.

Edge:
    Edge is a quantity in the game that represents how much of an advantage you have in a situation. This advantage is basically a combination of luck, equipment, planning and the situation. It's easier with an example.

You run into an alleyway to confront a thief and draw your weapon. You currently have 2 Edge from earlier in the game, your weapon weapon is way more powerful than their armour can resist (+1 Edge from the advantage) and there is a cop car's light in their eyes behind you (+2 Edge to you). So overall in the situation you have 5 Edge.

You can choose to use these advantages or not by spending the Edge. I'll send on a pdf before the game starts that lists what spending the edge does. But basically the more you spend the better.

The Edge written on your sheet is the maximum amount you can "store" after a current scene is over. So in the example above if the character has "Edge 3" on their sheet, even though they have built up 5 Edge once the confrontation with the thief is over they drop down to 3 Edge. The max anybody can have is 7.

Combat:
    Combat is basically:
    Weapon skill + Linked Attribute vs Reaction + Intuition

You don't have to know the details of combat just that the higher your "Reaction + Intuition" the harder you are to hit. Also the better your Weapon skill the more likely you are to hit.

For your weapons they have "DV" listed. This is how much base damage they do. The better you hit your target though will add to this.
    If you want to know the details when I roll your Weapon skill + Linked Attribute and your opponent's Reaction + Intuition if you don't get more hits (5 or 6 on the dices) than them you miss. If you do get more the amount more you get is added to your weapon's base damage

That's it, the next two sections are only if you have Magic or are a Decker.

Magic:
    Magic just works like any other skill. You roll and see if you get enough hits (5 or 6 on dice). The skill used is Sorcery. You'll see Frostburn's spells listed beneath her skills on the character sheet. Any questions about them just PM.

One thing about Sorcery is that some spells can be charged up, i.e. put more energy in for a bigger effect. I'll let you know you have the option to do this when it comes up.

Also sorcery has the potential to drain or exhaust your character. Again I'll let you know when that happens and I'll flag spells that have a good chance to be draining.

Decker:
    So this is quite different from other abilities. Many machines and computer systems are part of a simulated virtual world called the Matrix. Whenever you hack in you will then be taken over to the Matrix thread, a separate in game thread for going around this virtual world. Hacking systems is basically the a skill check. The system you seek to hack is represented by some avatar in the matrix like a building or tower.

Skill checks inside the Matrix use "Electronics" if they are legal and "Cracking" if illegal.

Sometimes a system will be defended by programs that will appear as avatars in the matrix. I'll describe matrix combat when it comes up.

Thanks four. this sounds complex. I feel like it's gonna be a case of get into it and figure it out as i go for me :D

tusk wrote: »
    Thanks four. this sounds complex. I feel like it's gonna be a case of get into it and figure it out as i go for me :D
    It's only there if you want to know, not necessary at all to know it. The only important thing is look at your skills and the bigger the number in the DP column the better you are at that skill. Just so you know what you're good or bad at.

If something isn't on your skill list at all you're shíte at it. Like if you guys find a helicopter none of Frostburn's skills cover it so I wouldn't get in the cockpit.

For her magic just read the spell names and you'll have a fair idea what she can do. You just need to know she can lob a fireball and leave the details to me.

Fourier wrote: »
    It's only there if you want to know, not necessary at all to know it. The only important thing is look at your skills and the bigger the number in the DP column the better you are at that skill. Just so you know what you're good or bad at.

If something isn't on your skill list at all you're shíte at it. Like if you guys find a helicopter none of Frostburn's skills cover it so I wouldn't get in the cockpit.

For her magic just read the spell names and you'll have a fair idea what she can do. You just need to know she can lob a fireball and leave the details to me.

Sounds like the perfect level of effort for me my dude :pac:

So, Tusk - if Four asks you what you want to do, what will your response be.....?

One of my skills is German Expressionist Cinema.
    What skill opposes this in, say, a discussion about the retroactive impact of Naziism on the film's themes of the workers struggle in the face of authoritarianism?

(That is the sum total of my ability to bull**** on this topic, although I did have a copy of Metropolis of VHS that I never got around to watching - does that count?)

• Advertisement

Baggly wrote: »
    So, Tusk - if Four asks you what you want to do, what will your response be.....?

hqdefault.jpg

One of my skills is German Expressionist Cinema.
    What skill opposes this in, say, a discussion about the retroactive impact of Naziism on the film's themes of the workers struggle in the face of authoritarianism?

(That is the sum total of my ability to bull**** on this topic, although I did have a copy of Metropolis of VHS that I never got around to watching - does that count?)
    What theoretical framework are you analysing the film in? A Derridean framing would intrinsically have more edge against opponents presupposing an objective theory of cinematic merit.

*Puffs cigar and sips coffee*

Starts tomorrow, I'll put up a bit on the setting just before.

Setting:
    The year is 2080. The world is largely governed by megacorporations with the old nation states having faded into the background or fragmented into smaller states. Magic is present alongside advanced cybernetic technology, with the Earth's human population having mostly split into human, dwarf, elf, ork and troll. Many devices are a fusion of the two spheres, e.g. nuclear fusion power plants enhanced by magical spells. Magic is not just spells but also allows communication with "spirits" magical beings living in other planes of existence.

Timeline wise in 2010 a virus (VITAS) killed off two billion people. The resulting power vacuum and anarchy did in many nation states and allowed megacorps to rise. While the world was still dealing with the aftermath magic also returned to the world in 2011 with some children being born as Elves and Dwarves and Dragons showing up all over the world. This event was called the Awakening.

In 2021 this intensified when another VITAS plague killed one billion and some adults transform into Orcs and Trolls in an event known as Goblinization. In 2029 the Internet is almost destroyed in a large scale by a virus of incredible potency. The Virtual reality and AI inhabited Matrix rises afterward, a much more secure system. By 2030 most countries as we know them today are gone or very fragmented.

2039 sees riots and attacks against Elves, Dwarves, Trolls and Orcs called "The Night of Rage". In 2055 evil spirits manage to cross over to our world and nearly destroy many cities. 2061 sees the newest series of races as some humans turn into mythological beastmen of legend. 2064 sees the Matrix crash, to be replaced by one that's more wireless and can be accessed magically. Technomancers appear who hack with their mental magical abilities.

2076-2079 has seen another plague, a virus that fragments the victims personality. This is revealed to be an accidental by product of research by one of the megacorps NeoNet. It's promptly demoted in market status by other megacorps.

Metahumanity:
    By 2080 the "races" have mostly stabilised. With dwarves having dwarven children, humans, orcs, trolls and elves the same. Rarely a human will still randomly turn into an orc or troll. However most young Trolls and Orcs today had parents of their race and are not transformed humans.

The races have regional variants, such as Oni for Orcs in Japan or Gnomes for Dwarves in Central Europe.

Ireland is ruled by Elves and is one of only two places where elves have their own government (the other is in Oregan).

Megacorps:
    These basically rule the world and decide the course of the world between themselves. Many are headed by dragons who through the megacorps rule a large fraction of humanity. Most megacorporations are rumoured to have some pretty nasty experiments going on in secret.

Ireland is ruled by elves! Is it a racist yeh are now father?

(Or alternatively, some fist pumping "Niamh cinn óir! 'SEA! As Tír na nÓg! 'SEA!" while stomping around like a Bushwhacker to celebrate the triumphant return of na sidhe heralding our eventual ascendancy to dominate the earth.)

When you say Ireland, do you mean The Island of Ireland, or the Republic? Is it united in this world? Important information...

tusk wrote: »
    When you say Ireland, do you mean The Island of Ireland, or the Republic? Is it united in this world? Important information...
    It's united. It was first united in 2014 in the wake of magically enhanced terrorism in a treaty signed in Galway.

Elves took over in 2034 replacing the government with a theocracy devoted to the ancient Celtic gods and exiling the Catholic church. The older government is also exiled (to Baaawwwston)

Ireland is ruled by elves! Is it a racist yeh are now father?

(Or alternatively, some fist pumping "Niamh cinn óir! 'SEA! As Tír na nÓg! 'SEA!" while stomping around like a Bushwhacker to celebrate the triumphant return of na sidhe heralding our eventual ascendancy to dominate the earth.)

Ha, did you learn that song in the Gaeltacht like me per chance Banjo :D

There's a radius of about 20 miles where everyone knows it word for word including the undocumented call-n-response version, and outside that zone is a vast desert of ignorance. Those fools don't know what they're missing
    Mheall sí é le Brathacht / Bra Mór (níos measa!)
    Mheall sí é le Póg (Lean ar aghaidh!)
    Is Mheall sí é gon aon agó / eadaí
    go Tír na nÓg!

Now if you'll excuse me, I've only got till tonight to learn the zulu for "Let's jack in, you chummers!"

• Advertisement

One last thing. A shadowrunner, or "Runner" for short, is somebody who does jobs for megacorportations as an independent contractor that the megacorporations don't want to be legally tied to themselves. This is often jobs such as corporate espionage or stealing prototypes and data from competitors labs.

Sometimes they are hired by wealthy private citizens for investigations, similar stealing or espionage or to prevent immoral activities of megacorps.

Any job is called a "Shadowrun" or "run" for short.

Shadowrunners often work in teams with a "fixer" the person who finds jobs and arranges the pay. All of you have recently accepted an offer of work from Ms. Myth a troll fixer. However you haven't been on a run together.

Advertisement