Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sheridan81 wrote: »

Once you realise that murderers hide bodies and evidence, the only mystery is why people get worked up over a few,
    when the FBI have 85,459 ongoing missing person cases.

Probably a few more like John Darwin in there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Unlike the Beaumont Children, who vanished in 1966. That haunts me and I very much doubt we'll ever know what happened to them or where their remains were buried. If I could magically solve any case at all it'd be the Beaumont Children.
    Me too. That case is just heartbreaking. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Posy wrote: »
    Me too. That case is just heartbreaking. :(

Isn't it just? Their poor parents are still alive (both in their 90s) and still holding out hope for answers. But there's so many contradictory theories swirling around and people swearing it was their dodgy uncle/step-dad/bloke-next-door that the truth is probably long gone. Just heart-breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

^^similar to those poor children is the case of Cheryl Grimmer (I'm guessing already mentioned on this thread) who disappeared in 1970 aged three from a beach in Australia, and has never been found, presumed dead. Her parents have both since died, never knowing what happened to her. A suspect recently arrested and due for trial this year had his case thrown out by the judge due to some discrepancies. He may very well have been the murderer, but if so he's gotten away with it.

In all of these unsolved murder cases, I always think of the sheer terror and pain those kidnapped must have experienced before being murdered, sometimes most brutally. It really doesn't bear dwelling on too much.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    ^^similar to those poor children is the case of Cheryl Grimmer (I'm guessing already mentioned on this thread) who disappeared in 1970 aged three from a beach in Australia, and has never been found, presumed dead. Her parents have both since died, never knowing what happened to her. A suspect recently arrested and due for trial this year had his case thrown out by the judge due to some discrepancies. He may very well have been the murderer, but if so he's gotten away with it.

In all of these unsolved murder cases, I always think of the sheer terror and pain those kidnapped must have experienced before being murdered, sometimes most brutally. It really doesn't bear dwelling on too much.

It may have been mentioned, but I'd never heard of Cheryl Grimmer. I'll look up her case later today. It's all just so sad.

And wasn't there a case of two girls going missing from a football match, also in Australia? It was about the same time as the Beaumont children and people often link them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Probably already mentioned but Philip Cairns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Be right back

Came across this case today about Eloise Worledge. Another Australian case...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Solved, but poignant: the case of friends Cheryl Miller and Pamela Jackson who disappeared in 1971 on their way to a party - the car was found, with their remains still inside, in a creek in 2013. Seems like it was an accident. Why poignant? Because Cheryl's father had died, aged 102, only 5 days before his daughters remains were found.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

dubstarr wrote: »

Christ, that's horrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

The Elisa Lam case, the weird elevator video, the history of the hotel cecil, her being found in the water tank on the roof after guests complaining about the water. The whole thing is so creepy.

They say she had no wounds or trauma, and also that the heavy lid of the tank was closed behind her which would be impossible if she was alone. I think it was a huge cover up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Why does Nonson always feel the need to close down threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Some other interesting ones are the Tiffany Whitton case and the Zeb Quinn case, though IMO the guys who probably killed them are in jail for other crimes.

Whitton, a junkie, disappeared after being confronted for shoplifting at a Walmart with her bf.

Zeb Quinn, who worked at a Walmart, disappeared and was last seen with a guy called Owens who was meant to go with him to look at a car. Owens claimed Quinn got a page and stopped to return the call, then left in a panic, rear ending Owens as he left. Owens later went to the hospital with injuries he said were from a second accident. And then 2 days later, he called the Walmart pretending to be Quinn pulling a sickie (this was always the most suspicious part to me).

His car was later found across the street from the hospital his mother worked at, with the lights on, a live puppy inside, and a pair of lips and exclamation mark drawn on the back window. Obvs they meant to draw attention to the car.

There was also a woman named Misty involved who Quinn had an interest in, who had a jealous bf. Bizarrely, on the day Quinn got the page from his aunts house, the aunt was actually having dinner at the house of the mother of Misty and the bf was there. The aunt later filed a police report saying that someone had broken into her house that day, nothing was taken, but a few picture frames moved.

The Owens guy later killed a pregnant woman and her partner and has since been accused of the Zeb Quinn murder, with lime and stuff found at his house.

Before his car was found, it was seen being driven by a woman who looked like Misty.

My theory is the three of them plotted it, possibly with someone else involved. They got the aunt out of the house and created an alibi for 2 of them in one go, someone broke in and made the page, either to lure Zeb or create proof for Owens story about him cancelling the car shopping trip midway, and the Owens guy killed him and got rid of the body while they got rid of his car. Owens worked at a Volvo dealer so I think the whole car shopping thing was made up by him as he was also caught making the call to Quinn's work from the dealership when the call was traced.

But where the puppy came from, who knows? A detective working the case adopted it.

And how does Walmart get involved in everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

And how does Walmart get involved in everything?

That's actually been a hot topic in the news in the US for a while now. In one place I know of, the mayor declared the local Walmart a public nuisance. In another place, the local PD has a guy called "Officer Walmart" who spends 10 hours a day in an office in Walmart.

The way some people see it, it's not any more crime than you'd have anyway - they're just all found in one convenient place (the irony!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Forgive me if this has been repeated but I haven't read through the previous 3,400 odd posts.

Life.

Yeah, I just don't get the whole abiogenesis thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

What is the meaning of Abiogenesis ?/

Mystery of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

These both give me the creeps

Diane Augat has to be one of the most bizarre missing persons cases

https://medium.com/@theCatLeigh/woman-goes-missing-her-fingertip-is-later-found-34555538c5e7

The missing Panama girls is horrible because they were alive for a while before they died, they must have been terrified.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_of_Kris_Kremers_and_Lisanne_Froon

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    These both give me the creeps

Diane Augat has to be one of the most bizarre missing persons cases

https://medium.com/@theCatLeigh/woman-goes-missing-her-fingertip-is-later-found-34555538c5e7

The missing Panama girls is horrible because they were alive for a while before they died, they must have been terrified.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_of_Kris_Kremers_and_Lisanne_Froon

Looking forward to reading about Diane Augat later on. But totally agreed about the missing girls in Panama. They must have been scared out of their wits. I've seen the photos they took (possibly to keep track of where they'd been/get their bearings?) - chilling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Why is my life broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

That's so sad :(
    He was definitely identifiable from that picture .

I find kids who are not identified so much sadder.Did nobody miss them at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I find kids who are not identified so much sadder.Did nobody miss them at all?

Oh i agree , I just meant that the picture was so clear , someone should have known who he was .

You're right , how could anyone not miss their own child , unless they were somehow involved with their disappearance , or death .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Here's an interesting one - unsolved murder of Charles Self, as set designer working for RTE who lived in Monkstown, Dublin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/murder-in-monkstown-the-brutal-killing-of-charles-self-1.3126696

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Here's an interesting one - unsolved murder of Charles Self, as set designer working for RTE who lived in Monkstown, Dublin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/murder-in-monkstown-the-brutal-killing-of-charles-self-1.3126696

This is as mysterious.

"Alpho O'Reilly, the man who brought Charles Self to Dublin, pulled into a petrol station at Ashford, Co Wicklow, at 3am on the January 2, 1996, filled-up his apple green Mitsubishi car (95 D 6446) and drove off in the direction of Wexford. Neither he, nor the car, were ever seen again"

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/special-reports/unsolved-crimes-mystery-blond-holds-key-to-solving-brutal-murder-of-rte-set-designer-34925812.html

I'd imagine he was heading for the ferry for the UK but there must have been CCTV on the other side of the Irish sea, if none on this side, so where did he abandon the car before boarding?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

J Mysterio wrote: »

This is as mysterious.

"Alpho O'Reilly, the man who brought Charles Self to Dublin, pulled into a petrol station at Ashford, Co Wicklow, at 3am on the January 2, 1996, filled-up his apple green Mitsubishi car (95 D 6446) and drove off in the direction of Wexford. Neither he, nor the car, were ever seen again"

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/special-reports/unsolved-crimes-mystery-blond-holds-key-to-solving-brutal-murder-of-rte-set-designer-34925812.html

I'd imagine he was heading for the ferry for the UK but there must have been CCTV on the other side of the Irish sea, if none on this side, so where did he abandon the car before boarding?

• Advertisement

The Delphi Murders of Abby and Libby is the one that I think about most.

I won't give any details for those that may be interested in looking into it. Chilling case.

Advertisement