Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purest hedge against Irish Agri land values?

Options
  • 10-08-2019 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Im planning on selling farmland next year but things are looking super shaky.

Are there any good hedges I can take (that’s available through Degiro) that would help me de-risk Irish land price drops (agri, outside of Dublin).

Any ideas greatly appreciated folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

What are you asking here? How much do you have to invest?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

What are you asking here? How much do you have to invest?

Thanks for your response.

I'm asking for securities or derivatives that have with a negative correlation with agri land prices in Ireland.

I am expecting income from a land sale next year but if the price is shot down or the market becomes illiquid and it can't sell I'd like to have income from another source.

I'd be willing to invest up to E20k. I'm not expecting income from this hedge to match the full potential loss, just to cushion...

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

stainluss wrote: »
    Thanks for your response.

I'm asking for securities or derivatives that have with a negative correlation with agri land prices in Ireland.

I am expecting income from a land sale next year but if the price is shot down or the market becomes illiquid and it can't sell I'd like to have income from another source.

I'd be willing to invest up to E20k. I'm not expecting income from this hedge to match the full potential loss, just to cushion...

Did you consider planting the land? (min 20 acres )

that may be the best hedge for you. You will have zero costs and a taxfree dividend for 15years. You can still invest the 20 grand and have a nice tax free pension grow at the same time. The land can be sold for 3.. 4000/acre in the furure if you are still around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

lucky john wrote: »
    Did you consider planting the land? (min 20 acres )

that may be the best hedge for you. You will have zero costs and a taxfree dividend for 15years. You can still invest the 20 grand and have a nice tax free pension grow at the same time. The land can be sold for 3.. 4000/acre in the furure if you are still around
    Plant with....

a hedge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I don't think you will find anything that resembles a close hedge to Irish agri land prices, being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Why not sell the land today ? And see if you can write in a buyback option on the contract. Probably not worth it though for the figures your looking at. E20k is laughably low to hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Plant with....

a hedge?

...waiting for the "ba-dum tish"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

stainluss wrote: »
    Im planning on selling farmland next year but things are looking super shaky.

Are there any good hedges I can take (that’s available through Degiro) that would help me de-risk Irish land price drops (agri, outside of Dublin).

Any ideas greatly appreciated folks.

You hardly think a tiny market like the Irish agricultural land market has a wall st tracker instrument of some kind?

Farm land prices are fairly strong at the moment despite brexit etc, even poor land is selling at reasonable prices. What is making you think it will drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Farm land prices are fairly strong at the moment despite brexit etc, even poor land is selling at reasonable prices. What is making you think it will drop?

Well it's artificially propped up for one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Long an uncorrelated asset with no exposure to Irish Ag or euro/sterling.

Beyond Meat.

Or, just a regular, unhyped US company that produces similar e.g. Regus actually makes money while Wework is a farce.

What % return are you hoping for to offset a price drop?

Advertisement