Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best DPF cleaner?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Why not? I don't fancy footing a petrol bill for 40,000km p.a, maybe if I started a go fund me page.. Will you donate?

There are petrol hybrids that will match or surpass your Octavia in fuel consumption, not to mention deliver more power.

Also: Did you declare your modifications to your insurer? :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

087brain21 wrote: »
    it doesn't matter how many miles you do a year the car has to be driving at the same speed for the DPF to heat up to regen to clean itself
    ie 80-120km/h for around 20-60 mins depending on the car
    some cars the sec you slow down stop regening and you nearly have to start the whole process again

Complete twaddle, VAGs regenerate at any speed, even idling, the problems start when people don't allow a regen to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭creedp

Its this nanny state thinking is why the NCT slap a sticker on your front window saying your car is unsafe to drive and they will call the Gardai if seen driving for failing a NCT with a small bit of uneven wear on a tyre
    Hardly unroadworthy

Just drive a vintage car and only you will have to worry about its road worthiness - always seems a bit ambiguous to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Its this nanny state thinking is why the NCT slap a sticker on your front window saying your car is unsafe to drive and they will call the Gardai if seen driving for failing a NCT with a small bit of uneven wear on a tyre
    Hardly unroadworthy

Not wanting selfish morons giving my kids cancer while they breath is nanny state thinking now ?

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

Duckjob wrote: »
    Not wanting selfish morons giving my kids cancer while they breath is nanny state thinking now ?

Wow.

i suggest getting a mask like they wear in china and japan if you care that much because i don't see people changing their ways anytime soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Wow.

My auld 05 diesel car doesn't have a dpf.

I'm going to hell, aren't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

pablo128 wrote: »
    My auld 05 diesel car doesn't have a dpf.

I'm going to hell, aren't I?

a lot of the older diesels dont have them sure i still drive a 98 diesel starlet that doesn't even get emissions tested at nct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

i suggest getting a mask like they wear in china and japan if you care that much because i don't see people changing their ways anytime soon

Or we could, y'know, as a society hold selfish morons to account not to be selfish morons instead of being one of them.

Apologies for off topic posts.

A friend of mine regularly jet washes dpfs for lads. He leaves them steeping overnight in a strong tfr solution and jets them out the next day. He says not to get too close so as not to damage the inside. And the vast majority are working perfectly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

NCT centres need to start checking this and reporting directly to Gardai + penalty points to stamp out this nonsense.

Clearly, once again, we as a nation are too self-centred and immature to be able to respect rules that are for the benefit of us all.

Is it really as black and white as you make it out to be ? Everyone I know who has had a DPF removed reports substantially better fuel economy which means you emit less of whatever your car emits per km driven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Complete twaddle, VAGs regenerate at any speed, even idling, the problems start when people don't allow a regen to complete.

Diesels have never been any good for short slow journeys that don't allow the engine to warm through, not fifty years ago and not now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If DPF gets clogged, it usually means one thing: too much fuel in relation to air.

This is caused by either a leak in the intake tract after air flow sensor - engine gets less air that it think is getting - or injector that is simply too generous - engine get more fuel that it should.

Fix the underlying issue, clean the DPF and happily ever after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Is it really as black and white as you make it out to be ? Everyone I know who has had a DPF removed reports substantially better fuel economy which means you emit less of whatever your car emits per km driven.

DPF can take out up to 99% of the carcinogenic particulate matter from diesel exhaust emissions, so no improvement in fuel economy will make up for the massive increase in harmful emissions that removing a DPF will result in.

a lot of the older diesels dont have them sure i still drive a 98 diesel starlet that doesn't even get emissions tested at nct

Fortunately cars without DPF get rarer and rarer these days...

grogi wrote: »
    Fortunately cars without DPF get rarer and rarer these days...
    My 08 s-max doesn't have one which surprised me

Nonsense. You might burn less or burn clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The best DPF cleaner is high quality diesel fuel, and regular long journeys.

Weekly Italian tune ups , won't do any harm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Back to the OP's query: are DPF cleaning additives any good?
    My 1.6hdi started giving 'DPF clogged' warnings at about 260k km.
    I tried Italian tune-ups. I tried a couple of those DPF cleaner additives. I tried a heavy dose of Dipetane. None of these had any real effect. Ergo I regard the DPF additives, as 'useless'.
    I got the DPF replaced with a new, OEM part. The cost of these has dropped; it cost me about €500 installed.
    I'm at 300k km now and all is well.
    I wouldn't advocate removal of the DPF for reasons others have posted.
    Behind some cars (many of them taxis) you see the big belch of smoke under acceleration and it's obvious that their DPF has been removed.

deandean wrote: »
    Back to the OP's query: are DPF cleaning additives any good?
    My 1.6hdi started giving 'DPF clogged' warnings at about 260k km.
    I tried Italian tune-ups. I tried a couple of those DPF cleaner additives. I tried a heavy dose of Dipetane. None of these had any real effect. Ergo I regard the DPF additives, as 'useless'.
    I got the DPF replaced with a new, OEM part. The cost of these has dropped; it cost me about €500 installed.
    I'm at 300k km now and all is well.
    I wouldn't advocate removal of the DPF for reasons others have posted.
    Behind some cars (many of them taxis) you see the big belch of smoke under acceleration and it's obvious that their DPF has been removed.

If you really cared about the environment you wouldn't be driving a diesel in the first place.

pablo128 wrote: »
    If you really cared about the environment you wouldn't be driving a diesel in the first place.

That's not the point, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

creedp wrote: »
    My 08 s-max doesn't have one which surprised me

1.8?

1.8?

No a 2L Titanium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

creedp wrote: »
    No a 2L Titanium

Strange, the 2l should have a DPF.

I thought so as well until I went to replace the exhaust and found no DPF

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My 2010 2.0 TDCI Smax (Zetec, UK import) doesn't have a DPF either. I think from late 2010 they all had them, but before that it was somewhat sporadic.

Volvo (who were owned by Ford at the time) also seemed to have started adding DPFs to everything in 2010.

Advertisement