Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best DPF cleaner?

• 06-08-2019 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering what the best DPF cleaner out there is as I need to purchase some for my car? I've heard of the below brands but I'm wondering which do you find the best.
    • JLM Extreme Clean
    • Redex DPF Cleaner
    • Wynns Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaner
    • TRIPLE QX High Performance DPF Power Clean
    • Cataclean Diesel DPF Cleaner
    • STP Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaner
    • RAC DPF Cleaner

Thanks all :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Remove+delete... End of story, best few bob you'll ever spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

CoBo55 wrote: »

Pretty sure you're advising something that's illegal there.

Not to mention being highly harmful to peoples health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Dont do this,
    The DPF is there for a reason.

Is the DPF clogged?
    If so, have you been able to initate a regeneration?

If you cant initiate a regen then you may need to bring it to a DPF cleaning company, there are a few about.

What kind of driving do you do on a daily basis, and how many miles are on the engine now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Buy a petrol instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

What are the benefits of clean versus replacement?

DPF in the car is end of life, I'm told, and doesn't seem to respond to the re-gen procedure anymore.

Replacement is not exorbitant, but would do a clean if it is worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

right i dealt with these damh DPF for the past few years in my own cars (few different makes+models)

you need to be doing a handy amount of long same speed driving unfortunately in ireland the motorway seems to be the best place for this for the DPF to heat up and regen.

If your gone past this point wurth dpf cleaner is the best i find it sprays right into the filter under the car not poured into the fuel tank(these aren't great tbh)

if this dont work you need to get it professionally cleaned nearly back to brand new can be pricey and take a bit of time

There is talk of the NCT and DOE clamping on cars that cut the DPF out but places are still cutting them or gutting them out and remapping the ECU

087brain21 wrote: »
    right i dealt with these damh DPF for the past few years in my own cars (few different makes+models)

you need to be doing a handy amount of long same speed driving unfortunately in ireland the motorway seems to be the best place for this for the DPF to heat up and regen.

If your gone past this point wurth dpf cleaner is the best i find it sprays right into the filter under the car not poured into the fuel tank(these aren't great tbh)

if this dont work you need to get it professionally cleaned nearly back to brand new can be pricey and take a bit of time

There is talk of the NCT and DOE clamping on cars that cut the DPF out but places are still cutting them or gutting them out and remapping the ECU
    Unless you like getting your bank card scorched from now until eternity take this option.

Dont do this,
    The DPF is there for a reason.

Is the DPF clogged?
    If so, have you been able to initate a regeneration?

If you cant initiate a regen then you may need to bring it to a DPF cleaning company, there are a few about.

What kind of driving do you do on a daily basis, and how many miles are on the engine now?
    Should last about a month... After that open wallet surgery starts:mad:

Should last about a month... After that open wallet surgery starts:mad:

If you need to remove or gut a DPF then you shouldn't be driving a diesel engined car.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Pretty sure you're advising something that's illegal there.

Not to mention being highly harmful to peoples health.
    Really? Illegal?
    Throwing ones hard earned cash in the hope of curing the DPF is harmful to ones financial health:(
    Been there, done that, got the bugger gutted and deleted as the money being spent was getting ridiculous, sailed through the NCT without a bother, mpg has improved by an average of 10 mpg. Best 400 smacks I ever spent, my only regret was that I didn't get it done the minute the warning light appeared.

• Advertisement

If you need to remove or gut a DPF then you shouldn't be driving a diesel engined car.
    Why not? I don't fancy footing a petrol bill for 40,000km p.a, maybe if I started a go fund me page.. Will you donate?

Why not? I don't fancy footing a petrol bill for 40,000km p.a, maybe if I started a go fund me page.. Will you donate?

If your doing that kind of mileage, how is your DPF getting clogged up?

it doesn't matter how many miles you do a year the car has to be driving at the same speed for the DPF to heat up to regen to clean itself
    ie 80-120km/h for around 20-60 mins depending on the car
    some cars the sec you slow down stop regening and you nearly have to start the whole process again

087brain21 wrote: »
    it doesn't matter how many miles you do a year the car has to be driving at the same speed for the DPF to heat up to regen to clean itself
    ie 80-120km/h for around 20-60 mins depending on the car
    some cars the sec you slow down stop regening and you nearly have to start the whole process again

I understand how the system works.
    It doesn't necessarily have to be constant driving at a given speed, though that does help.
    My mondeo will regenerate at any time it sees fit, it has started active regeneration while driving in traffic.

What you describe is passive regeneration.
    Most cars will start an active registration at a set interval if its required.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

It will be nullified by the multiples of that amount you’ll have to spend putting it back in to get through the nct.. eventually.
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Buy a petrol instead.

Just don’t buy one with a GPF :)

Really? Illegal?
    Throwing ones hard earned cash in the hope of curing the DPF is harmful to ones financial health:(
    Been there, done that, got the bugger gutted and deleted as the money being spent was getting ridiculous, sailed through the NCT without a bother, mpg has improved by an average of 10 mpg. Best 400 smacks I ever spent, my only regret was that I didn't get it done the minute the warning light appeared.

Yep, f**k the environment and knowingly churning highly cancerous particulate out into the air that everyone around you has to breath, right ?

Yep, f**k the environment and knowingly churning highly cancerous particulate out into the air that everyone around you has to breath, right ?

Yep!!

400,000 km.... Troubles started at 320,000, she's gone to dpf heaven now, just needed to get that extra time out of her, 1.6 Octavia, replaced with the same, grand aul workhorse Boris Johnson supplied...

tossy wrote: »
    It will be nullified by the multiples of that amount you’ll have to spend putting it back in to get through the nct.. eventually.

Just don’t buy one with a GPF :)

Her NCT days are over, got two extra light free years out of her and sent to stud...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Her NCT days are over, got two extra light free years out of her and sent to stud...

If de light is out 'sur' she's alrite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

And what do you think happens during a re-gen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

pablo128 wrote: »
    And what do you think happens during a re-gen?

During an active regen extra fuel is put into the engine to increase the exhaust temperature. This in turn raises the temperature in the DPF where the particulate matter is trapped, by raising the temperature it burns off those trapped particles turning the the microscopic particles into CO2, which whilst damaging to the environment in terms of global warming does not have any direct effect on humans as the particulate matter does.

tossy wrote: »
    If de light is out 'sur' she's alrite.

It was!! Plenty of power (for a 1.6), better on juice, no limp mode which along with being inconvenient was downright dangerous. If the present incumbent starts kicking up I know what treatment she'll get...

cruizer101 wrote: »
    During an active regen extra fuel is put into the engine to increase the exhaust temperature. This in turn raises the temperature in the DPF where the particulate matter is trapped, by raising the temperature it burns off those trapped particles turning the the microscopic particles into CO2, which whilst damaging to the environment in terms of global warming does not have any direct effect on humans as the particulate matter does.

Ha ha ha!! Are you serious? Microscopic particles are turned to CO2? That's a chemical reaction from star trek... A dpf produces ash when everything is working perfectly, nothing more nothing less. When things start getting old and slightly worn is when the tail chasing starts...

NCT centres need to start checking this and reporting directly to Gardai + penalty points to stamp out this nonsense.

Clearly, once again, we as a nation are too self-centred and immature to be able to respect rules that are for the benefit of us all.

NCT centres need to start checking this and reporting directly to Gardai + penalty points to stamp out this nonsense.

Clearly, once again, we as a nation are too selfish and immature to respect rules that are for the benefit of us all.

What rules? Keep throwing money at a car in the hope the problem will be solved? I replaced the egr valve 600, lasted about 3 weeks, left me stranded on the M4 in the UK, injectors replaced... CTS replaced, dpf removed and cleaned again, total spend had now exceeded 1200 at this stage, I said fcuk that for a game of soldiers, gut the bugger!! I'm outta here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ha ha ha!! Are you serious? Microscopic particles are turned to CO2? That's a chemical reaction from star trek... A dpf produces ash when everything is working perfectly, nothing more nothing less. When things start getting old and slightly worn is when the tail chasing starts...

The particulates consist of soot and ash. Soot is unburned carbon and if removed through a regen then yes it becomes CO2! The ash mostly comes from lubricating oil rather than the diesel and is formed of (generally) incombustible metallic pieces. Non-mineral sytnthetic oils should, in theory, not have any metallic elements to generate ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ha ha ha!! Are you serious? Microscopic particles are turned to CO2? That's a chemical reaction from star trek...

What's so unusual, or indeed "star trek", about CO2 being produced as a result of combustion? The size of the particles being burned don't have a bearing on the chemical reaction or the resulting emissions. If you burn a lump of coal, you release CO2. If you turn the lump of coal into coal dust and burn it, you still release CO2. If you burn a single particle of coal dust, you release CO2. If you burn anything containing carbon in air, you release CO2. The soot trapped by the DPF contains carbon. The soot is burned off during DPF regeneration. The process releases CO2.

What do you think happens to the soot that gets burned off during a DPF regen? If it were all to turn to ash without any gaseous release, that would be a Star Trek chemical reaction!

3k down later...
    Decides to get it removed here in galway..was about 250euro..
    Never looked back..
    Get rid or be prepared for the biggest headache of your life.
    We were doing the miles..still wasn't helping

• Advertisement

Clearly, once again, we as a nation are too self-centred and immature to be able to respect rules that are for the benefit of us all.

Its this nanny state thinking is why the NCT slap a sticker on your front window saying your car is unsafe to drive and they will call the Gardai if seen driving for failing a NCT with a small bit of uneven wear on a tyre
    Hardly unroadworthy

Advertisement