Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Dublin port

Options
  • 03-08-2019 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭

Hi folks myself and the 6 year old are doing a day trip to holyhead on the ferry from Dublin port. We're coming from carlow and it's the 8.10 ferry we're going on.
    Should I drive to the port and if so is my choice m 50 and port tunnel or go through the city and down the quays?

I see there's buses go to the port at 7am do you think I'd be better parking at the red cow and getting the luas and going that way?

Lastly is there much parking at Dublin port? It says 20 spaces on the stena site, am I guaranteed to get one if I drive there?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

patrickc wrote: »
    Hi folks myself and the 6 year old are doing a day trip to holyhead on the ferry from Dublin port. We're coming from carlow and it's the 8.10 ferry we're going on.
    Should I drive to the port and if so is my choice m 50 and port tunnel or go through the city and down the quays?

I see there's buses go to the port at 7am do you think I'd be better parking at the red cow and getting the luas and going that way?

Lastly is there much parking at Dublin port? It says 20 spaces on the stena site, am I guaranteed to get one if I drive there?

Thanks in advance

If you are planning on returning directly on the 14.00 sailing from Holyhead then you can use the bus, if it is the 20.30 return then there is no bus from Dublin Port so you would have to park there.

Parking at the port would be easier, unless you pass through the tunnel before 6am weekdays it will cost you €10, aim to be at the port by 6.30-45 and you will get through the city quick enough.

As you say there is limited parking at the Stena terminal here, there is a reasonable chance of getting a space but it is far from guaranteed. Parking is just at the front of the building, a small compound behind the buses in that pic and a few unmarked spaces as well.

The car park at the side of the Irish Ferries terminal hereis bigger and is less likely to be full but cannot be 100% guaranteed to have spaces either. Both are €9/day, Stena is pay and display coins or card, Irish Ferries is pay on exit with pay machine outside the terminal entrance.

The pay and display bays outside the IF terminal are short-term €2/hour, I am not sure if there is a max stay on these though, they are never full so either there is an upper time limit or there is no full day charge so are much more expensive than the car park for long term use.

If using Luas you would want to be at Red Cow around 6am, Mon-Sat, not possible on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭patrickc

Vic_08 wrote: »
    If you are planning on returning directly on the 14.00 sailing from Holyhead then you can use the bus, if it is the 20.30 return then there is no bus from Dublin Port so you would have to park there.

Parking at the port would be easier, unless you pass through the tunnel before 6am weekdays it will cost you €10, aim to be at the port by 6.30-45 and you will get through the city quick enough.

As you say there is limited parking at the Stena terminal here, there is a reasonable chance of getting a space but it is far from guaranteed. Parking is just at the front of the building, a small compound behind the buses in that pic and a few unmarked spaces as well.

The car park at the side of the Irish Ferries terminal hereis bigger and is less likely to be full but cannot be 100% guaranteed to have spaces either. Both are €9/day, Stena is pay and display coins or card, Irish Ferries is pay on exit with pay machine outside the terminal entrance.

The pay and display bays outside the IF terminal are short-term €2/hour, I am not sure if there is a max stay on these though, they are never full so either there is an upper time limit or there is no full day charge so are much more expensive than the car park for long term use.

If using Luas you would want to be at Red Cow around 6am, Mon-Sat, not possible on Sundays.

Brilliant many thanks for the valuable information

Just following up on this for anyone else who wants to know. I got to the terminal at 7am there was no parking, but I went around to Irish Ferries a 6 minute walk and there was loads of parking there, so if you're stuck you should get sorted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm getting the same ferry (8.10am) later this week - can anyone tell me where the bus goes from, and is it fully reliable? I can get the luas in as far as the Point, but after that?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm getting the same ferry (8.10am) later this week - can anyone tell me where the bus goes from, and is it fully reliable? I can get the luas in as far as the Point, but after that?

Don't go to the Point.

The bus departs from Westmoreland Street at 7am. It is the southernmost stop nearest the Bank of Ireland.

The service is a shuttle run by Mortons on contract to both ferry companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Thanks!

I've got that bus about ten times and it's always been reliable. The stop's on the west side of Westmoreland St, directly opposite the Westin Hotel. If you look up "Temple Express Newsagents" in Google Street View, you'll see the bus stop, labelled "Mortons", outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

patrickc wrote: »
    Just following up on this for anyone else who wants to know. I got to the terminal at 7am there was no parking, but I went around to Irish Ferries a 6 minute walk and there was loads of parking there, so if you're stuck you should get sorted there.
    Apologies for going off topic but I'm just curious - what did you do all day in Hollyhead? It has been a horrible kip of a place any time I've had to spend any time there waiting for a boat.Seems to be full of rough pubs and chip shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Apologies for going off topic but I'm just curious - what did you do all day in Hollyhead? It has been a horrible kip of a place any time I've had to spend any time there waiting for a boat.Seems to be full of rough pubs and chip shops.

There is nothing to do in Holyhead. It is grim. I was there a couple of weeks ago and the only thing to brighten up the place was a small group of (I think) Spanish tourists in one of the pubs. If Brexit hits hard then it'll go further downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you arrive early by car, and the weather is halfway decent, there are a few places nearby to spend an hour or two. We usually go to Trearddur Bay, but Penrhos Coastal Park is another option as are Breakwater Country Park, the coastal path and South Stack lighthouse. In fact the whole of Anglesey and Holy Island is actually quite nice, it's only the town of Holyhead itself that's a kip.

We disembarked at 12 got on at 1 45. So had lunch looked around and came back. It was the ferry experience for the young lad was what I was looking for.. Lots of people doing the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Louche Lad wrote: »
    ... If Brexit hits hard then it'll go further downhill.
    ....and incredibly the constituency there voted by a majority for Brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Brexit will bring back duty-free trips!! Holyhead will be booming!!

Advertisement