Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tethering Mobile Phone to Tablet by Wi-Fi

• 05-08-2019 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I am not having much luck with finding an answer on this particular conundrum so maybe I cannot achieve what I want to do.

I have a room upstairs with an old'ish 10" Android tablet with a 2.4g wifi and the connection on it is poor (not many bars and says weak) - then I have got my pretty newish Android Mobile phone which is capable of 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi and in the same area of the tablet it connects to 5ghz and not full bars but still pretty good and full bars on 2ghz.

so what I want to do is use the wifi of the mobile phone, tether that up to the Tablet but its only using the Mobile Phone Data (4G or H+) as its supply for the internet .. but I want to not use the mobile phone data , I want to use the 2.4ghz or 5ghz wifi from my home router - when I try it disconnects my mobile phone from the home wifi router so yes I have on my Tablet 'Connected OK' but its says 'No Internet' so then I have to turn on mobile data on my phone to get internet on my tablet .. but then I am using 4G or H+ and of course I want to use my Internet connection from the home wireless router instead of 4G.

Any idea / workarounds please? - I know I could get a WiFi Extender upstairs on the landing to boost the wifi from the home router but I would rather try using the 2.4g/5g wifi from the phone instead if I can to use the internet on my Tablet.

487276.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Genghis

I think the problem is the WiFi antenna on your phone can only work in either broadcast (hotspot) mode or receiver (connect to router) mode at any one time.

I wonder if there is an app that would allow you to receive on 5Ghz and transmit on 2.4Ghz.

The other thing that might work is Bluetooth from phone to tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Genghis wrote: »
    I think the problem is the WiFi antenna on your phone can only work in either broadcast (hotspot) mode or receiver (connect to router) mode at any one time.

I wonder if there is an app that would allow you to receive on 5Ghz and transmit on 2.4Ghz.

The other thing that might work is Bluetooth from phone to tablet.

ah right, thanks for the reply. yep I could try Bluetooth Tethering, I have just been into my settings on my phone and it has got a setting for bluetooth tehering so i must try that later on today and see if that works it. -would bluetooth cut down the speed is it likely to do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yeah, I would say Bluetooth will be slower than WiFi. I guess it depends on what you are going to be using the data for. I'd be interested to know if it works out, have always wondered about tethering by Bluetooth, think I tried to use it once with phone to laptop but couldn't manage to make it work.

Advertisement