Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are CEX controllers new?

Options
  • 05-08-2019 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Would like to get a second PS4 controller in CEX as I have store credit with them. They're selling for 60e on the website. A new controller in Argos goes for the same and I'd rather a new one. If they're used in CEX I'd rather buy a new one at Argos and use my store credit for something else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Nothing in CEX is new

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Nothing in CEX is new

So why would anyone buy a used controller for the price of a new one??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

They have to make their profits somehow unfortunately, staff, lighting, insurance, generally all the overheads retailers have...

Be interesting to see do all these shops go the way of the dodo eventually, I'm wondering will even GS survive until the new consoles get here...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Their whole deal is that you're either going to trade in something towards the cost or use credit you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You sold your stuff to them for store credit, so they have you by the balls. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

I'm not too worried, I did it with games that i just wanted to get rid of and I may buy something in there as a present for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You sold your stuff to them for store credit, so they have you by the balls. :pac:
    Store credit vouchers don't expire with CEX. Can always just keep them until they've got a good deal on. No pressure to get controller there if they're charging full price.

Another strategy is if your mates are going to be buying something there you can always trade em' your voucher for cash. It's sorta like getting the store credit rates but in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

CEX have some great bargains. And other times their prices are crap, but it really all hinges on the fact that the person is trading in stuff. So, you could buy a controller new for €60, or you could trade in a load of crap and get it "free" despite it being the same price on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I picked up an off brand controller in there a while ago when I got it home the right stick kept jamming so I brought it back, went into GameStop a new one of the same brand was feckin cheaper !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I wouldn't touch a controller from CEX. There was a guy in the Playstation forum last year admitting having a faulty controller and selling it to CEX, bragging they accepted it. I'm sure you can bring stuff back to CEX if faulty but madness paying that price and having to be dealing with that. Also, PS4 controllers are know to give issues with trigger buttons and analogue sticks wearing down, would definitely stick to a new one if possible.

Like above, they do have some good deals on games but I only take cash when I sell things unless there's a specific game I want at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch a controller from CEX. There was a guy in the Playstation forum last year admitting having a faulty controller and selling it to CEX, bragging they accepted it. I'm sure you can bring stuff back to CEX if faulty but madness paying that price and having to be dealing with that. Also, PS4 controllers are know to give issues with trigger buttons and analogue sticks wearing down, would definitely stick to a new one if possible.

Like above, they do have some good deals on games but I only take cash when I sell things unless there's a specific game I want at that time.
    I actually use CEX as a gamepad update service. Once mine becomes less than optimum for sensitive games like Tekken I just trade it in for one in better condition and pay the difference. I always explain clearly what the issue I'm having with the pad is though. The staff in my local CEX test em' and said it seems grand so maybe I'm just super picky about perfect controllers for sensitive games. If I'm not happy with what I get I just go back and keep trading at no extra charge.

The blue PS4 pad I've gotten from them has been serving me fine for a while now and seems in perfect condition although I had to do a few trades before they showed me that one - went through a few with mushy buttons first. They took my old one and I payed around 20 quid difference. Cheaper option compared to throwing it out and buying brand new one for 60.

Advertisement