Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sproai festival 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

*Spraoi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Spraoi weekend. That means rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Good interview with the guy in charge of/manages Spraoi in the News & Star this week.

Said that they'll monitor the effect that All Together Now has on Spraoi.

I'm guessing that if ATN keeps it's August Bank Holiday weekend we could possibly see Spraoi moving to a different time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Has has its day....

Only a pale imitation of its former self nowadays. Commendable to keep it going, but its not the only show in town anymore !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

greenspurs wrote: »
    Has has its day....

Only a pale imitation of its former self nowadays. Commendable to keep it going, but its not the only show in town anymore !

Maybe you have just grown old. Familiarity breeds contempt. I'm sure a lot of new people come to it and love it . What harm is free entertainment in a city centre on a bank holiday? I actually can't understand your reasoning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

debok wrote: »
    Maybe you have just grown old. Familiarity breeds contempt. I'm sure a lot of new people come to it and love it . What harm is free entertainment in a city centre on a bank holiday? I actually can't understand your reasoning

Maybe, maybe.....

What harm is free entertainment? No harm at all, but what my point is that its gone a bit stale ..

Its not that hard to understand ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Maybe, maybe.....

What harm is free entertainment? No harm at all, but what my point is that its gone a bit stale ..

It ain't free, pay up ye spongers....only joking, but serious, dont forget gimme 5, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Spraoi is still great. City centre is vibrant and buzzing. Parade and fireworks are always spectacular. Got loads of good coverage this year so hopefully there's a high turnout.

I'm heading to All Together now this year though so won't be at Spraoi :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭914

Maybe, maybe.....

I think if it has gone "stale" numbers would have dropped but thats not the case.

I for one do not sense it has gone stale. Every year it has different acts present. The parade and fire works are probably the best in the country.

I was beside a family from Down last year, and you should have heard the positive praise that they were giving Spraoi and they were blown away by the fact everything was free. So much so they said they will attend yearly.

Thats one family of 5 in accommodation for the weekend spending money in Waterford, how many more are like that, a lot I'm guessing.

I say get out there embrace it and support Irelands largest street Festival and for free.

Also maybe if you personally feel it has gone stale why not volunteer at it, that may give it a new lease of life to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

iseegirls wrote: »
    Good interview with the guy in charge of/manages Spraoi in the News & Star this week.

Said that they'll monitor the effect that All Together Now has on Spraoi.

I'm guessing that if ATN keeps it's August Bank Holiday weekend we could possibly see Spraoi moving to a different time of year.

I hope they don't - Spraoi on the Bank Holiday weekend should be sacrosanct. Still getting huge crowds, different profile of people from ATN and teens can't go to ATN anyway.
    Having said all that, not sure how much of Spraoi I'll see myself this year as I'm going to ATN, mainly to see The National! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

not my kinna thing, but i hope it goes well, it really picks the city up, and brings a lot of people in, enjoy it folks

I really love the Spraoi. It has a great vibe to it and is uniquely Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

When they started fencing everything off it lost its magic. If you want a drink you have to pay Flash instead of bringing your own with you. It's still a good show though and the pubs are generally rockin. The parade and fireworks too are usually worth the trip in to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

Has has its day....

This is my third year in Waterford and I think it’s an incredible event. For its size Waterford delivers so much entertainment through Summer in the City, Spraoi, the harvest festival as well as all the regular activities.

Best place I have ever lived, without doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Flow Motion

Cant comment on whether or not its gone stale or not as I havent had the chance to engage with Spraoi for many a year. But what I would say the emphasis seemed to change to a more kids/family friendly event down through the years. Back in the 90's the Apple Market was heaving with people. Okay the drinking culture has changed in Ireland in the interim so having a load of boozed up people wandering about wouldnt float everyones boat these days. Then again it was all good natured fun with no aggro.
    Seem to remember there being a fantastic variety of performers, events, gigs & DJ's around the place too That said I could be showing my age and getting all nostalgic for the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That said I could be showing my age and getting all nostalgic for the 90's.

Particularly considering that username of yours! :P

It always rains at the Spraoi that's literally the only problem I have with it. Suppose there's nothing they can really do about that.

Last year I went in on the Saturday and all ats were cancelled because it absolutely started bucketing down.

Wow - just wow.

Great to see such a big attendance. I caught some of Morbid and Co after Andy Mac finished his slot in the new WLR FM Broadcast Truck in the City Centre.

Down around The Mall was simply breathtaking, a brass band playing great songs, I then saw a daredevil performance from an agile acrobat while eating a freshly barbecued burger.

Did anyone get time to see the football exhibition in the Royale Theatre? Is it part of Spraoi?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wow - just wow.

Great to see such a big attendance. I caught some of Morbid and Co after Andy Mac finished his slot in the new WLR FM Broadcast Truck in the City Centre.

Down around The Mall was simply breathtaking, a brass band playing great songs, I then saw a daredevil performance from an agile acrobat while eating a freshly barbecued burger.

Did anyone get time to see the football exhibition in the Royale Theatre? Is it part of Spraoi?

no its a touring around ireland and is here for 2 weeks. Great exhibition with some great interactive bits

Felt the city was quite enough this weekend but thats expected with ATN out in Portlaw

Think they should think of moving spraoi to another time of the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've had 2 sisters who are regular visitors to Waterford and 2 friends here for the weekend. My sisters love Waterford but our friends were very impressed and think Waterford is a beautiful city and couldn't get over how clean it is. They didn't come for Spraoi but we got to see a small bit of it and were impressed by what they saw.

I took them around parts of the city to see some of the Waterford Walls and they were blown away by what they saw especially as one of them is an artist. They took photographs to show people back home. They loved all the floral displays around the city.

We spent most of the last 2 days shopping with breaks for coffees, lunches and dinner and they enjoyed each cafe/restaurant we went to though one place we walked out of before ordering because we were left standing for some time while waiting to see if they catered for coeliacs.

They've been posting their praise of Waterford on social media and are also full of praise about how friendly people in Waterford are. They're already saying they'll be back for Winterval though my sisters will be back a couple of times before then.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    no its a touring around ireland and is here for 2 weeks. Great exhibition with some great interactive bits

Felt the city was quite enough this weekend but thats expected with ATN out in Portlaw

No, no they shouldn't.

Spraoi belongs in the August Bank Holiday Weekend, it's an institution.

I was among the revelers at ATN and like hundreds if not thousands I left this morning so i could enjoy Spraoi with the family as i have done for the last 20 odd years

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Well done to the Waterford in your pocket team on facebook for bringing live coverage of the parade

In the past wasant a massive fan of theres but my opinion has changed a lot. Great page

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

PTH2009 wrote: »

They absolutely should not. 27 years of entertaining us on the August Weekend to the extent where it is now the Spraoi weekend and not the August weekend. No way. ATN move to another weekend - June weekend for example. Spraoi is part of our cities fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

The fireworks were really good this year. Fair play to those involved. An added bonus was the rain staying away.

Regarding Spraoi moving from the August bank holiday weekend, i did hear from someone involved with Spraoi a long time that there has been talk of it moving if ATN becomes bigger. Dont know how much truth is in that though. One thing is for sure the place was alive all weekend and it was great to see.

Seen there was a ticket thing going in some places? I got in and some jackeen feela started kicking up a fuss because he had ticket and I didn't. Petty people.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I was in around Spraoi yesterday for the first time in about 5 years. Despite the weather, it was a brilliant day. Ended up outside Tully’s for most of the evening watching some brilliant acts before heading down to the parade and fireworks on the Quay. We don’t realise how lucky we have it in Waterford. Free entertainment for all ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

alta stare wrote: »
    The fireworks were really good this year. Fair play to those involved. An added bonus was the rain staying away.

Regarding Spraoi moving from the August bank holiday weekend, i did hear from someone involved with Spraoi a long time that there has been talk of it moving if ATN becomes bigger. Dont know how much truth is in that though. One thing is for sure the place was alive all weekend and it was great to see.

Yes, not just that ATN steals Sproai’s thunder a bit but I’d say from a Garda resources point of view it won’t be possible to have both on the same weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

BBM77 wrote: »
    Yes, not just that ATN steals Sproai’s thunder a bit but I’d say from a Garda resources point of view it won’t be possible to have both on the same weekend.

To be fair im sure more Gardai could be brought in if needed. Plenty of overtime for Gardai from the surrounding areas.

It would be a shame to see Spraoi moving from the August bank holiday. As mentioned previously, in Waterford it is more known as the Spraoi weekend than the August bank holiday so hopefully things stay the same and the logistics can be worked out so both festivals remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭azimuth17

BBM77 wrote: »

That's nonsense really as it implicitly sets a limit to event size in Waterford.. During the last Tall Ships event in 2011 some 450,000 people came to Waterford over the three days. There was no problem with Garda resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Flow Motion

azimuth17 wrote: »
    That's nonsense really as it implicitly sets a limit to event size in Waterford.. During the last Tall Ships event in 2011 some 450,000 people came to Waterford over the three days. There was no problem with Garda resources.

I commuted in and out the 3 days of ATN and I only met or encountered one Garda on the roads all weekend. Considering it was a Bank Holiday W/end, a major festival (ATN) and the Spraoi in town I think that highlights the lack of Gardai on beat in general.

Advertisement