Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC on ESPN 5 Covington vs. Lawler Sat 3rd Aug

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Colby is just relentless, every fight he seems to just dominate. Over 500 punches thrown is abnormal especially along with his takedown attempts.

Him and Usman will be some chess match. Can't wait for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I must be the only one that likes Colby. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

martyos121 wrote: »
    I’m surprised so many gave Lawler a chance in that. All Colby had to do was weather the early storm and the fight was his to lose. Love him or loathe him (and I’m pretty sure we all agree on the latter) his fitness levels are insane and he’s able to nullify dangerous opponents.

I think everyone was willing Robbie to flatline him more than anything.
    Colby has legit skills, but he is such a massive piece of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Colby hams all his provocative rehearsed lines - it almost makes him likeable. He's terrible at being a foil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

mailburner wrote: »
    what a nasty human being, gonna be less likeable than jon jones

Difference is Colby is intentionally acting unlikeable, but comes across as a B-list Chael Sonnen

While Jones is a natural villain who isn't self aware in the slightest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Lawler has now lost 4 of his last 5 fights

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lawler by KO/TKO
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    I think everyone was willing Robbie to flatline him more than anything.
    Colby has legit skills, but he is such a massive piece of ****.

Believe me, I was too, and I agree with all you’ve said.

I’m starting to warm to him in a weird way, but only because it’s clearly a massive act he’s putting on and he’s got skills to back it up. Anyone who’s watched pro-wrestling at any point in their lives can see him for what he is. It’s all rehearsed but he’ll never be a big PPV draw because he doesn’t have the charisma to really make it work.

As Sure just said, Jones is so much better at the same thing, because he’s actually a horrible person behind it all, whereas I don’t believe Colby truly is. He’s just trying to promote himself.

Johner wrote: »
    I must be the only one that likes Colby. :pac:

I really enjoy Colbys shtick. I was always a massive fan of Chael Sonnen and Colby character is kinda similar to Chaels, he is kind of like a B level Chael. Colby is just trying to build a name for himself and make some money and using this character to do it.

There is two reasons people are tuning into Colbys fights:
    1. Is because they like his shtick/character or
    2. They dislike him and are hoping that they can watch him get knocked out.

Either way he is generating interest in his fights/ the UFC. I mean for christ sake the Trumps were there tonight to watch him fight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I find Colby’s heel act amusing much like I do with Cejudo.

Matt Hughes is a proper scumbag so liked that comment.

Colby’s cardio and pace is off the charts. He might actually be the best welterweight in the world. Has to get the next shot now.

Robbie fought a bizarre fight. Doing non stop head movement while barely throwing a punch for 60 second spells. When he was throwing they were light shots when he needed a haymaker to land for a finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Zero-Cool wrote: »

People need to keep that same energy when talking about Matt Hughes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lawler has been fighting for nearly 20 years and has been in a lot of wars in the last few years. He can either stay going and get used to losing more like BJ has or pack it in before he has to be told to. His defeat to Woodley was 3 years ago & he's not himself since.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Believe me, I was too, and I agree with all you’ve said.

I’m starting to warm to him in a weird way, but only because it’s clearly a massive act he’s putting on and he’s got skills to back it up. Anyone who’s watched pro-wrestling at any point in their lives can see him for what he is. It’s all rehearsed but he’ll never be a big PPV draw because he doesn’t have the charisma to really make it work.

As Sure just said, Jones is so much better at the same thing, because he’s actually a horrible person behind it all, whereas I don’t believe Colby truly is. He’s just trying to promote himself.

Yeah I think it's the fact he overdoes it so much that makes him so unlikeable.
    He's basically shouting "look at me, look how controversial I am, hate me(love me)"

As for Jones, I just refer to him as a ****stain. He needs to drop the nice guy act and just embrace being a bag of dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Any else notice Lawler puffing out his cheeks non stop on the way into the Octagon? i know I am sitting here on my couch and its easy to say, but I thought he looked tired coming in. Maybe a bad weight cut or something?

You might be right. I thought Lawler looked huge tonight, especially around the arms/biceps. Whatever happened he had very little pop after a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

He's predicable, he's a brawler, he's easily figured out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

He’s 37 years old with a lot of miles on the clock. He’s slowly getting worse over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭The White Feather

This was the scorecard from the main event

EBFDKcpXkAAzZkE?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Lawler by KO/TKO
    Whether you like Colby or not, nobody cared about him either way until the rant in Brazil. Its put him on the map. I find his fights pretty boring. What he said tonight was pretty classless but, and I can't stress this enough, f*ck Matt Hughes.

It's a pity Robbie's going through such a rough patch. Maybe the RDA fight could have been more competitive if he didn't injure his leg. There's definitely been a changing of the guard in Welterweight. I hope he rematches Condit. They both need a fight where they can stand and trade. It would be a shame if either retired on a string of losses to grapplers.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Despite the outcome, Colby seemed hittable last night to me. He'll have trouble with somebody that can fire back at him and at least survive the pressure onslaught. Robbie did seem like that candidate on paper alright, so...

Credit due for the performance all the same - the work-rate is unquestionable - but can imagine someone finding just enough opportunity to out gun him.

The UFC does need more people like Colby who are at least trying to get people interested in their fights.

I am paraphrasing the great undefeated Chael P Sonnen here but Chael says something like "The punches and kicks aren't enough anyore, you need to sell the fights to the fans, you need to get the fans interested in the back story" and he is 100% right. The hardcores will watch the fights no matter what but the casual viewers need the back story to get interested. Now Colby isn't the best at getting people interested but at least he is trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lawler by Sub
    mdwexford wrote: »
    Matt Hughes is a proper scumbag so liked that comment.

Matt Hughes biography painted him as a bit of a scumbag alright.
    But that shouldn't make it ok for other to just as much of a dick.
    Super finish by Miller there, but yet another sloppy ref performance by Herb Dean. This is not the 1st time that Dean has been off the pace whilst refereeing.

Guida didn't tap so I'm not really sure what you expected Herb to do. There was no indication that he went out. Herb checked on him, no response, so he called it.

He missed the tap in the Trevin Giles vs. Gerald Meerschaert fight. Not ideal, but it was a very awkward angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Wonder why isn’t Khabib looking looking to win the welterweight belt and become another champ champ?? He is a big lightweight and sometimes struggles to make weight. Him vs Colby would be a great fight considering both are such good grapplers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wonder why isn’t Khabib looking looking to win the welterweight belt and become another champ champ?? He is a big lightweight and sometimes struggles to make weight. Him vs Colby would be a great fight considering both are such good grapplers.

He has a wealth of fights in lw still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

He only has 1 defence at lightweight. I reckon he'll want to defend it 3 or 4 times to become the legit goat before he moves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He only has 1 defence at lightweight. I reckon he'll want to defend it 3 or 4 times to become the legit goat before he moves up.

Yep but he has been so dominant surely he could easily win at 170 also. It’s just that I’ve never really heard talk about it even. He has spoken a lot about a fight with GSP before he retires but that would be a greatest vs greatest type duel. Even Conor has spoken a bit about 170 and even fought there even if they were just sorta accidental exhibition fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Mellor wrote: »
    Matt Hughes biography painted him as a bit of a scumbag alright.
    But that shouldn't make it ok for other to just as much of a dick.

I agree two wrongs don’t usually make a right but I could not believe the content in that book so I detest the man for life.

Any laughs at his expense are just fine by me.

Yep but he has been so dominant surely he could easily win at 170 also. It’s just that I’ve never really heard talk about it even. He has spoken a lot about a fight with GSP before he retires but that would be a greatest vs greatest type duel. Even Conor has spoken a bit about 170 and even fought there even if they were just sorta accidental exhibition fights.

The guys he'd fight at ww would be a lot bigger than what he's been facing at lw. He wouldn't have a good time up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lawler by Sub

He could win against some 170s, he'd win against most of them tbh. But it gets hard as he approachs the top guys. He's made it clear in the past that he has no intention of moving up. He's extremely risk adverse tbh. He didn't make it to 16-0 before entering the UFC by taking risks.
    He talked about a fight with GSP but he wants it at 155 or 160

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He won't have 3 defenses because Tony will beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

eagle eye wrote: »

I've always thought this also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

eagle eye wrote: »

How? Surely he’ll just take tony down and wreck him like nearly everyone else, I think the Al fight shouldn’t be counted as it looked like Khabib was trying out his standup in preparation for the likes of Conor as he had the fight sewn up and didn’t need or want the early submission

Advertisement