Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport/ taxi Monivea to city

Options
  • 03-08-2019 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all,

Recently moved to Monivea (well 15 minutes outside it on Ballinasloe side) so about 35 minutes from the city.

I want to go out in the city the odd weekend but not sure if taxi’s will go this far?

I haven’t risked trying to get one after the pubs close just yet in case I get stuck in the City with no way home.

Can anyone recommend a driver in the area that might bring 2 of us in and collect us after the pubs/clubs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Pro Cabs in Eyre Square do rural runs. Have used them a few times after a night out from their office. On their website is a list of fixed price rates - €38 to Monivea.

Have never gotten a cab in. Another option for you might be to drive to Athenry, leave the car there and get the train (or bus). Pick up the car in the morning then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jenson86

Great thank you. That’s a good idea. My main concern is that I wouldn’t be able to get a cab out and I’d be stuck. They have a couple of offices is town?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I think it is just the one office beside McGettigans in the square.

Oran Cabs in Oranmore also do country runs so would be a good shout too.

Park in Athenry, at the arch. get the evening bus in and the late night bus out

Buslink.ie for the timetable and fares

Thank you, is there a taxi rank/ office in Athenry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

aw wrote: »
    I think it is just the one office beside McGettigans in the square.

Procabs now have the office in William Street west where Claddagh cabs used to be, too.

Jenson86 wrote: »
    Thank you, is there a taxi rank/ office in Athenry?

No.

If you want to have a drink, then a cab home is your only option as you won't get a cab to pick you up late at night in Athenry

Have you considered a B&B or an airbnb?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

The best advise I can give to someone that needs a taxi / Hackney home late at night from galway city to out the country is to get someone they can work with on a repeat business .
    For example galway to monivea would be €40 for 1 to 4 people .
    Minibus is generally half of that on top = €60.
    What a driver wants from a client is to be ready at all times when they pick you up.
    A driver will soon stop doing business with you if he is constantly waiting for you.
    You wouldn't beleive the amount of people who decide to get a takeaway as you pull up .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Jenson86 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Recently moved to Monivea (well 15 minutes outside it on Ballinasloe side) so about 35 minutes from the city.

I want to go out in the city the odd weekend but not sure if taxi’s will go this far?

I haven’t risked trying to get one after the pubs close just yet in case I get stuck in the City with no way home.

Can anyone recommend a driver in the area that might bring 2 of us in and collect us after the pubs/clubs?

Monivea itself is thirty five minutes from Galway, you must be nearly an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Monivea itself is thirty five minutes from Galway, you must be nearly an hour

Monivea is €40 from eyre square .
    If your 15 mins from monivea that's a different change .
    This is the problem drivers have of giving " fixed rates " .
    Best to get a taxi / Hackney one night from galway .
    If your happy with the price/ and with the driver ask him for his card and get him to do a fixed price , now that ye both know where the drop off is going to be.
    I used to hate passengers getting in and asking
    " how much is it to Barna etc "
    You give them a price .... Next thing Barna has turned into spiddeal .
    That's when the arguments start .

• Advertisement

Takes me 40 minutes with traffic to get to the city. Of course throw in rush hour at Briarhill and that becomes an hour.

Advertisement