Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

U17 play Americans next Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hendy confirmed as new captain.

Fairly obvious choice, Coetzee and Herring were probably the other contenders, last year it was clear to me that Henderson had become the driving force on the pitch of the Ulster side, even more so than Rory. Off the pitch is impossible to say, but Hendy can achieve legendary status over the next 5-6 years.

bilston wrote: »
    Hendy confirmed as new captain.

Fairly obvious choice, Coetzee and Herring were probably the other contenders, last year it was clear to me that Henderson had become the driving force on the pitch of the Ulster side, even more so than Rory. Off the pitch is impossible to say, but Hendy can achieve legendary status over the next 5-6 years.

Yeah I can't think of a better choice and not surprising - he was absolutely brilliant in the Heineken cup for Ulster, led from the front. I was hoping it would go to Jordi just so I could endlessly troll awec but alas twas not to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

FORMER ULSTER BACK Peter Nelson has been named at out-half for his Canada debut against the US tomorrow in the Pacific Nations Cup [KO 1am Irish time, World Rugby channels].
    from the42

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Some Yoke wrote: »
    FORMER ULSTER BACK Peter Nelson has been named at out-half for his Canada debut against the US tomorrow in the Pacific Nations Cup [KO 1am Irish time, World Rugby channels].
    from the42

I'm delighted for him. He suffered because of a cruel injury and then being played out of position. Canada must be really hard up though. He has been a poor 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

jacothelad wrote: »
    I'm delighted for him. He suffered because of a cruel injury and then being played out of position. Canada must be really hard up though. He has been a poor 10.

Yep. He's actually not a bad player and a decent 15 but he's not a 10... never was and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

He is a good player at 10 or 15 and if Canada coaches deem Pete good enough, then he is good enough. Hope that he becomes the Canadian McGinty. Hope that he tears it up.

He was definitely a better 15 than 10. But he did put in the odd solid performance at 10. But was early never the long term answer.

But whatever about Ulster I really hope he goes well with Canada and makes it to the WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

So Nelson's first start at 10 for Canada did go great from a team perspective. Nelson scored two conversions. Haven't watched the game to comment on individual performance but USA pretty much smashed them. What the hell has happened to Canadian rugby in the past 4 years?!

https://www.world.rugby/pnc/news/438429

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    .... What the hell has happened to Canadian rugby in the past 4 years?!

the quality of their overseas players has dropped off.

Only really Ardron who is hitting the heights currently. DTH is now 33 and in his twilight

4 years ago they had the above 2, plus the likes of Cudmore and Thorpe , and jeff hassler in better form....

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/team/academy/

Is this small for an academy squad?

No detail on sub academy as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/team/academy/

Is this small for an academy squad?

No detail on sub academy as far as I can see.

Is the sub academy published? Munster have never done so.

Dalton still in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Is Dalton seen more as a 6 or a second row? Ulster probably need a 6 more then another second row at the moment.

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Is Dalton seen more as a 6 or a second row? Ulster probably need a 6 more then another second row at the moment.

Second row.

We have a number of talented youngsters who play at back-row who just need this season and next to break through - Rea Jnr, Hall, Agnew, Allison. Dunleavy doesn't seem rated as highly any more - would love him to make it if just to be out first pro player from Donegal. McCann still U19 just now.

Second row.

We have a number of talented youngsters who play at back-row who just need this season and next to break through - Rea Jnr, Hall, Agnew, Allison. Dunleavy doesn't seem rated as highly any more - would love him to make it if just to be out first pro player from Donegal. McCann still U19 just now.

Fair points, I’m probably a little impatient when it comes to the Ulster back row situation. Allison could well be a very good 8 in a couple of seasons and hopefully there’s a quality 6 among the rest.
    I think at the moment Ulster‘s best back rows are both opensides, but Coetzee plays 8 to accommodate Murphy.

Fair points, I’m probably a little impatient when it comes to the Ulster back row situation. Allison could well be a very good 8 in a couple of seasons and hopefully there’s a quality 6 among the rest.
    I think at the moment Ulster‘s best back rows are both opensides, but Coetzee plays 8 to accommodate Murphy.

McCann could be a good 6, but he is young.

In the meantime it will be interesting to see how the Rea brothers go.

Maybe Hall or Dunleavy could surprise us yet.

In fairness, I don't disagree. Carter, O'Connor and Treadwell are a good set of locks to have during the RWC. Rea Snr can fill in, and we'll see how Dalton comes back.

The unknown is O'Connor Jnr - we'll see how good he is. But Rea Jnr looked promising, as did Hall, in his debut season before last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

small academy potentially due to all the peeps being upgraded to senior contracts?

As for back row....Blindside and backup No8 is there for the taking! If Rea Senior doesn't lock down 6 this season, he never will. He needs some injury luck.

launish116 wrote: »
    small academy potentially due to all the peeps being upgraded to senior contracts?

As for back row....Blindside and backup No8 is there for the taking! If Rea Senior doesn't lock down 6 this season, he never will. He needs some injury luck.

Surprised to see Matty Rea will be 26 by the start of the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Whats the thinking on Jones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Surprised to see Matty Rea will be 26 by the start of the season!

Good player though, would love to see him have a great season.

I like Jones. He seems a decent ball carrier. But I haven't seen loads of him because he hasn't had that many chances.

Yeah - nine players who started last season as academy players now have senior or development contracts.

Always thought he had potential, but saw more from Rea jnr in one game than Jones has shown in a handful of appearance. Maybe that's being harsh!

There's definitely talent building, but we still lack the ballcarrying if Coetzee is missing. Hoping Rea Snr can make an impact with a proper pre-season this year.

Was a literally about to post that.

Interesting Stats on Rea jnr and Dunleavy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Was a literally about to post that.

Interesting Stats on Rea jnr and Dunleavy

Ulster Wolf Pack!

Advertisement