Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dungeons & Dragons - The Revival Sign Up Thread

• 02-08-2019 4:05pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok I'm probably going to regret this inevitably but I'm going to attempt to run a D&D game starting sometime in mid September.

There will be some parameters, mainly because I am new, inexperienced and bloody nervous as hell about this :cool:

1. I'm limiting sign ups to a max of 5 players. It seems like I'm being cliquish, but I want to try and give all players an equal fair fist of it. I may expand this to 7 in the future when I'm more used to the process, but for now 5 is my magic number. Will play with less though, of course.

2. I will make mistakes - please don't be too harsh with me if you're an experienced player :) If there's an issue with how I've handled things, PM me and we can resolve it/tell me how I messed up.

3. Timing. I'll be running maybe two sessions a week when I get started. If you're interested in playing, we can organise the days but these will also be subject to change as my work schedule is a bit higgledy piggledy. Players can post in thread on non-session days and I will endeavour to respond as soon as I can, but no promises - and no major action will occur outside of the agreed days.

4. I'll likely add more rules as I continue :pac:

Game will be run under 5E rules:

Free versions here:
    http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PlayerBasicRulesV03.pdf

This only mentions four of the classes, so a document with all Races and Classes is here:
    http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf

(Races on p.3 and Classes on p.11)

(The above, is unashamedly stolen from D&D RPG and Fourier's post).

Now let's see if I can get some players to try and kill....

source.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Never played but know they theory. Willing to give it a go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Also willing to give it a shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Guffy

I'd be up for trying this out again.... kinda walked myself into a dead end in previous run round. But if there's 6 ill happily step aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Hi :) still spots free?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Well this is... unexpected. Welcome welcome folks.

*Gulps*

I'd better get some stuff together so lol :pac:

1. fixxxer
    2. Ectoplasm
    3. Guffy
    4. Nebelwerfer
    5. tusk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

In if space

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

kitten_k wrote: »
    200.gif

It's like a bed time story, in that Necro starts telling it, but then you keep interrupting 'cause you don't want to go to sleep, telling him what you want one of the characters to do. Then your brother comes in and says that he's in the story too and he killed your unicorn and made you eat it's poop. Then you roll init and kill eachother.

Other people might have better behaved 4 year olds.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tusk and kitten I will take you both due to the closeness of those posts, I can handle 6 (he says having never handled anything before).

Kitten basically D&D is an RPG where you create your own character (More on that later). I provide a setting and quests/dungeons for you to explore.

Edit: Also what Banjo said

Necro wrote: »
    Well this is... unexpected. Welcome welcome folks.

*Gulps*

I'd better get some stuff together so lol :pac:

One spot left, for now anyways.

1. fixxxer
    2. Ectoplasm
    3. Guffy
    4. Nebelwerfer
    5. kitten_k
    6. tusk

WhoopWhoop, Character generation, here I come!:pac:

• Advertisement

Ok folks. So the documents I have linked in the OP describe in detail how to create a character.

Page 6 has a long in-depth explanation on how to do so, and I'll try to briefly summarise:

Think of the character you want to be in this world, do you want to be a brute force tank bashing all and sundry out of your way?
    Would you prefer to take the sneaky route rather than run headlong into danger?
    Or perhaps you'd prefer your magic to do your fighting.
    There is also the more balanced, measured approach

Or you can just

The world is your oyster really.

But let's start with Races. Chapter 2 has a much more in depth explanation into the various types, but for this intro we'll start with the main ones:

Dwarf
    Elf
    Halfling
    Human

And from the second document in the OP, if you're really feeling fancy:

Dragonborn
    Gnome
    Half-Elf
    Half-Orc
    Tiefling

I'll go into classes in my next post tomorrow but some food for thought on this lovely Friday evening anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

tusk and kitten I will take you both due to the closeness of those posts, I can handle 6 (he says having never handled anything before).

Kitten basically D&D is an RPG where you create your own character (More on that later). I provide a setting and quests/dungeons for you to explore.

Edit: Also what Banjo said

Thanks Necro but think I will just follow this one to get my head around it and then hopefully play the next one.

Ok I've decided to accept two more sign-ups via discord and will now close off sign-ups.

So our finalised roster will be:

1. fixxxer
    2. Guffy
    3. Nebelwerfer
    4. tusk
    5. LadySkunk
    6. Dublinandy2

Looking forward to this now :)

Edit: due to personal commitments (ie the trip of a bloody lifetime) Ecto has withdrawn. I will however go through character creation with her so she can enter if she wishes a bit later in the game.

Ok folks. So the documents I have linked in the OP describe in detail how to create a character.

Page 6 has a long in-depth explanation on how to do so, and I'll try to briefly summarise:

Think of the character you want to be in this world, do you want to be a brute force tank bashing all and sundry out of your way?
    Would you prefer to take the sneaky route rather than run headlong into danger?
    Or perhaps you'd prefer your magic to do your fighting.
    There is also the more balanced, measured approach

Or you can just

The world is your oyster really.

But let's start with Races. Chapter 2 has a much more in depth explanation into the various types, but for this intro we'll start with the main ones:

Dwarf
    Elf
    Halfling
    Human

And from the second document in the OP, if you're really feeling fancy:

Dragonborn
    Gnome
    Half-Elf
    Half-Orc
    Tiefling

I'll go into classes in my next post tomorrow but some food for thought on this lovely Friday evening anyways.

Any chance i could put my name in the hat for a Tiefling Warlock? :p

Any chance i could put my name in the hat for a Tiefling Warlock? :p

You can be anything you want to be Nebel :D

Coming back to this with a few more posts this evening once a certain movie game has finished :)

Ok, something I forgot to mention in my last post on Races is that each race have different traits or perks.

Have a read of the different races in the OP documents and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Moving on, once you have your Race selected you move into picking your Character's

Class

There are quite a few, and actually the second document is better for going through these.

Classes available for selection are:

Barbarian
    Bard
    Cleric
    Druid
    Fighter
    Monk
    Paladin
    Ranger
    Rogue
    Sorceror
    Warlock
    Wizard

Your character receives a number of benefits from your choice of class. Many of these benefits are class features—capabilities (including spellcasting) that set your character apart from members of other classes. You also gain a number of proficiencies: armor, weapons, skills, saving throws, and sometimes tools.

I'm keeping this as simple as I can so if you see a race and class you really like, have a read of the documents and see what benefits you will have from them!

If you have any questions or you're really not sure what might suit, feel free to ask!

During the week once people are starting to get a feel for their character we'll get to the important bit....

Determining your ability scores. Couple of ways we can do this and I'll get deeper into it once there's a few characters being mooted.

Don't forget to give them a name!!

Awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Good luck Necro. You'll do great. I'm sure daddy Four will be a help if you need it. :)

I really need to read those docs. But i'm so lazy. When do i need my character defined by?

• Advertisement

tusk wrote: »
    I really need to read those docs. But i'm so lazy. When do i need my character defined by?

If I could get the majority of the characters in by the end of the week we could go over the stats when I'm off the following week :)

But if you're really feeling lazy tusk (and others :P ) then here's a basic description of each class given to me by a source that shall rename nameless
    *cough cough Fourier cough cough*
    :

Barbarian - the relentless combatant, fueled by fury or it's totem bonds with animals. In tune with the natural order.

Bard - a story teller or musician using his wits, magic, and lore to get out of (or avoid) tight situations

Cleric - a Holy man devoted to a deity. capable of bolstering the party and heal their wounds, or laying low their enemies with divine wrath.

Druid - a nomad devoted to the world and the powers of Nature. Capable of adopting the form of a beast for battle or utility. capable of bolstering the party and heal their wounds, or laying low their enemies with nature's wrath

Fighter - Skilled combatant or strategist typically relying on his heavy armor and weapons to cut down their enemies. His training gives him unique abilities

Monk - martial artist pulling on the power of his own body to produce impressive results.

Paladin - nearly as skilled as the Fighter but bolsters his efforts with divine magic. through his devotion he gains special boons from his god.

Ranger - one who uses a unique blend of wilderness knowledge and martial ability to be a deadly hunter, with a bow, a pet or melee weapons

Rogue - a thief, assassin or stealthy character who has a knack for picking out his enemies weaknesses and exploiting them.

Sorcerer - a magic user who draws his power from within, summoning his innate magical power and bending it to his will

Warlock - pacted to a powerful entity the warlock trades favors for boons and spells.

Wizard - keeper of arcane secrets and forgotten knowledge, the wizard manipulates magic and spells with cunning.

Rogue pls :pac:

Whats the opposite of a cleric? Like, I need an atheist who will debate people into submission. Fedora of +10 smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

fixxxer wrote:
    Whats the opposite of a cleric? Like, I need an atheist who will debate people into submission. Fedora of +10 smug.

Go on fixxxer. Be an atheist Bard

I CALL UPON THE OLD GODS

God isn't real. Checkmate.

*stabs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

I'll have a read tonight and tomorrow and let you know by Thursday

tusk wrote: »
    Rogue pls :pac:

No problemo, you wanna be like Snake from MGS (Human), Legolas from LOTR (Elf), or something else entirely :D
    fixxxer wrote: »

Well I mean Wizard or Sorcerer still have the magic capabilities and none of the religious attachment ;)
    Baggly wrote: »
    Go on fixxxer. Be an atheist Bard

Or this, :pac: Atheist Bard we can certainly work with.
    I'll have a read tonight and tomorrow and let you know by Thursday

No worries Dandy, no panic.

So far I have:

Nebelwerfer: Tiefling Warlock
    tusk: Rogue of a yet to be determined race
    LadySkunk: Dragonborn Barbarian (ancestry undetermined)
    Clarabel: Half-Orc Druid

Good progress folks :D

No panic at all, we'll take this as slow as you wish in the beginning.

Edit: Also welcome Clarabel to the crew folks :)

• Advertisement

For those who have picked their class, you can be busying yourself with determining the nitty gritty details of your character, namely:

Proficiencies (Skills): You will get to pick a few from a list designated in the class document.

Equipment: There will be certain types of equipment also listed that you can choose to start with.

For magic users, you can also have a look from page 105 onwards for spell lists and pick what is allotted to your class from that. Handy tables in the second document tell you what you can have.

Advertisement