Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Useful FPL Websites?

• 31-07-2019 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭

All the best to everyone for the Season ahead,
    I lost interest last year after having a horrendous run of injuries,Captain fails etc from November to Christmas after a decent start.
    Intend on giving FPL a bit more time this Season.

With that in mind what sites would those who use them recommend joining/paying subscription to for useful tips and info during the Season ahead?
    Fantasy Football Fix is only site I ever used in the past and discussing things on the forum here,
    Thanks again for any thoughts from non casuals :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

If you are serious there are plenty of pay sites for advice.

Personally, I cross reference bookies odds with my own opinion, my logic being that the bookies have already done the research on who is likely to get booked, who is likely to score and what the result should be.

I aim to be in the top 1million so my expectations are low, I found a few years ago that the dedication needed to get the result wasn't worth the impact it had on my life(I was obsessed with fantasy football ...but it didn't make me a better player.... Guesswork and logic are your best tools)

Feel free to sign up to one or more of the pay sites for advice/information/stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If you are serious there are plenty of pay sites for advice.

Personally, I cross reference bookies odds with my own opinion, my logic being that the bookies have already done the research on who is likely to get booked, who is likely to score and what the result should be.

I aim to be in the top 1million so my expectations are low, I found a few years ago that the dedication needed to get the result wasn't worth the impact it had on my life(I was obsessed with fantasy football ...but it didn't make me a better player.... Guesswork and logic are your best tools)

Feel free to sign up to one or more of the pay sites for advice/information/stats.

Thanks for reply,no more than yourself I don’t have loads of time to spend on FF either:)

Was just wondering which site if any regular users find best if you were to pick one pay site to subscribe to.
    Intend on only giving FF time on a Friday evening to decide tactics for weekend games and a while the evening before midweek fixtures.
    I do habitually watch out for bandwagons and double risers in first month of the Season to build team value but don’t pass too much heed of gaining team value after that.
    Really appreciate any mentions of sites that are easy to use and generally helpful from regulars who have used them in the past.
    Thanks,
    Bleating Lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Not strictly fpl but i find these sites useful for stats and the likes.

https://understat.com/ good for expected goals etc.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/ for probability of teams winning games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Fantasy football scout is apparently decent information.... Not sure if it's worth paying but someone who has paid may see value .

Fiso.co.uk is good for price rise predictions but usually takes a few weeks to get the algorithms working.

There might be some old threads with links from previous years
    Edit: found this
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057769218/1/#post104222966

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Fantasy football scout is apparently decent information.... Not sure if it's worth paying but someone who has paid may see value .

Fiso.co.uk is good for price rise predictions but usually takes a few weeks to get the algorithms working.

Actually Fiso hasn’t been good for price rise predictions since 2014. FPL Statistics is the best site for price checking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it's good to have a good think about things yourself and then go read all the sites. If you are getting some decent feedback as regards your own thoughts from these sites then go with it but if you are not getting good feedback drop your idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think it's good to have a good think about things yourself and then go read all the sites. If you are getting some decent feedback as regards your own thoughts from these sites then go with it but if you are not getting good feedback drop your idea.

Apologies for only replying now, which sites are decent and free to read?

Also quick question to all......if you join likes of Fantasy Scout are you automatically entered into their league or can you decline entry to league?

Wouldn’t be joining till GW2 so everyone else would have a big headstart!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Apologies for only replying now, which sites are decent and free to read?

Also quick question to all......if you join likes of Fantasy Scout are you automatically entered into their league or can you decline entry to league?

Wouldn’t be joining till GW2 so everyone else would have a big headstart!:)

You dont have to join the leagues. It's worth joining the cups as there are prizes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I have been a paid up member on ffs since they started offering it. If you are time short then it's very handy using the player comparison tool and it's nice having the stats presented the way theyve done it. The RMT is useful if you have to make very late decisions and are happy to basically just go with what the computer thinks. For the ~£1.50/month I get a lot of usage out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

jimmii wrote: »
    I have been a paid up member on ffs since they started offering it. If you are time short then it's very handy using the player comparison tool and it's nice having the stats presented the way theyve done it. The RMT is useful if you have to make very late decisions and are happy to basically just go with what the computer thinks. For the ~£1.50/month I get a lot of usage out of it.

Me too. Signed up straight away. I use some of the members features and find them v useful but the main reason I'm a paid member is to support what is an excellent site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

The net is awash with FPL websites, twitter a/cs , podcasts etc but..

I subscribe to Football Fantasy Scout -deffo worth it as it captures all that you need -
    Differential picks
    Team news and expected lineups
    Who's in form and value for money
    Player comparison tools & heat maps.

I know it sounds a lot but it's all managable in about an hour.

Ive come across https://fplgeneral.com/ this year -what I like about this especially is that a season ticket holder for each team writes an article on that week's game. Gives a nice insight if you need it into a player's form.

Can't beat https://www.livefpl.net if you want to see your realtime position & points plus it also can give your leagues realtime scoring if you want it. Brilliant stuff.

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Ive come across https://fplgeneral.com/ this year -what I like about this especially is that a season ticket holder for each team writes an article on that week's game. Gives a nice insight if you need it into a player's form.

I saw that on twitter but haven't read it any yet. . I hope people were vetted before signing up. Just because someone is a fan of a particular club doesn't mean they have a clue about football.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The match reports on fplgeneral.com have been very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

As many of you know, the 'General' is a good lad. Donegal man and formerly of this parish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

FHFC wrote: »
    As many of you know, the 'General' is a good lad. Donegal man and formerly of this parish too.

his podcasts are soooooooo boring. he could do with some voice training or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Can't beat https://www.livefpl.net if you want to see your realtime position & points plus it also can give your leagues realtime scoring if you want it. Brilliant stuff.

Is their top 10k section the new FPLdiscovery? Their top 10k stats were more interesting and useful than the global average FPL gives.

Didnt know he posted on here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

https://www.fantasyfootballscout.co....mment_20382906

I hope this is of use to the guys looking for viable cheap defenders. Hopefully this link works. Scroll down the page to find comments by Diesel001 who looks at rotation pairs that avoid the "big 6" for Q1 (first 9 fixtures) and Q2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Fpl renegades on twitter, they do a podcast on spotify too. Irish lads.

Fantasy football scout is good even if not a paid member. Likely teams
    Is free, scout picks and captain poll, really all a casual player needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Not a site per se, but I found this very useful fixture tracker on reddit. It ranks teams by fixture difficulty and you can play around with it a bit more

https://public.tableau.com/profile/timbayer#!/vizhome/PremierLeagueFixtures1920/PLFixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

KevIRL wrote: »
    Didnt know he posted on here

Yeah he had a great season while posting here, I remember him talking about an idea of getting going on twitter and making something of the FPL stuff, and he certainly has.

mcgettigan16 or something like that on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Lots of good podcasts out there
    FPL FML
    FFS
    The generals
    FPL surgery
    Always cheating

Yeah he had a great season while posting here, I remember him talking about an idea of getting going on twitter and making something of the FPL stuff, and he certainly has.

mcgettigan16 or something like that on here.

Ah yes, I remember the name now alright.

We got dumped like a hot snot then :(:(

Green&Red wrote: »
    Lots of good podcasts out there
    FPL FML
    FFS
    The generals
    FPL surgery
    Always cheating

Rank your favs

FMLFPL for me then prob Always Cheating, WGTA close too, LetsTalkFPL on Youtube good too . Enjoy the FFS one as well.

Always found fpl podcasts very amateurish. Havent listened in awhile though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,808 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Always found fpl podcasts very amateurish. Havent listened in awhile though.

Yeah, I’m not a fan of these social media pseudonyms masquerading as experts in an attempt to achieve celebrity status while only offering anything insightful to those completely devoid of FPL critical thinking (the kinds of people spending money on Patreon accounts and the likes). And they seem to be multiplying with all kinds of crazy FPL Octopus, FPL Wizard, FPL Gimpmask tags doing the rounds.

If I’m donating FPL social media time to anyone, it’d be someone like James Egersdorff, who is able to discuss the game normally and expressively without everything having to be in some kind of diluted click-friendly format like ‘differential of the week’ ‘banker of the week’ etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah, I’m not a fan of these social media pseudonyms masquerading as experts in an attempt to achieve celebrity status while only offering anything insightful to those completely devoid of FPL critical thinking (the kinds of people spending money on Patreon accounts and the likes). And they seem to be multiplying with all kinds of crazy FPL Octopus, FPL Wizard, FPL Gimpmask tags doing the rounds.

If I’m donating FPL social media time to anyone, it’d be someone like James Egersdorff, who is able to discuss the game normally and expressively without everything having to be in some kind of diluted click-friendly format like ‘differential of the week’ ‘banker of the week’ etc.

Wow - it's like I wrote this myself. Couldn't agree more.

I think we have reached a point where there is so much advice from lads who know no better than anybody else, that it's like having no information again. I really liked Eggers Youtubes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,808 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Markx wrote: »
    Wow - it's like I wrote this myself. Couldn't agree more.

I think we have reached a point where there is so much advice from lads who know no better than anybody else, that it's like having no information again. I really liked Eggers Youtubes.

Imagine my shock when 2 of those made up FPL names mentioned were actual ones haha. FPL Gimpmask is still available though for me to launch my budding career.

Advertisement