Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landmark Hayden’s Hotel in Ballinasloe closes down

Options
  • 11-10-2016 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭

The landmark Hayden’s Hotel in Ballinasloe town has closed down.
    Management at the hotel nightclub ‘Thee Place’ issued a statement on social media to inform the public of the closure.
    The hotel had been used for housing homeless families in recent months, as well as operating as a normal hotel for visitors to the town.
    In a statement, a spokesperson for the hotel say it’s with great sadness and regret that the hotel had to permanently cease trading as of today.

http://connachttribune.ie/landmark-haydens-hotel-in-ballinasloe-closes-down-202/

I was very sorry to read that Hayden's has closed it doors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wasn't there a big renovation job done there recently enough (on the back of a visit by the Brennan brothers, if I'm not mistaken)?

Shame they couldn't make it work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Very sorry to hear that. For generations a favourite stop for people in Galway city and west of it.

Carroll family ran an excellent place there,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Holy Zombie thread Batman, but I hope someone might be able to help me.

I'm looking for information on the ownership of Haydens Hotel pre-1945 when the O'Carroll's took it over.

Anyone know where such info might be found online? I'll try the newspapers archive in the libraries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Pique wrote: »
    Holy Zombie thread Batman, but I hope someone might be able to help me.

I'm looking for information on the ownership of Haydens Hotel pre-1945 when the O'Carroll's took it over.

Anyone know where such info might be found online? I'll try the newspapers archive in the libraries too.

Maybe check the online census?

How far back do you want to go? Most of the buildings would have been owned by the Clancarty Estate back into the 18xxs and leased to tenants. IIRC, a man named Joshua Gill was the original hotelier who opened it as Gill's Hotel. Hardens came later and renamed it.

If you can find Tadhg Mac Loughlin's book on Ballinasloe in the library, that should tell you a lot.

Cheers. Yeah after I posted I found out about it originally being Gills opening in 1833.

There's also Robert le Poer Trench and Robert Dillon (Baron of Clonbrock) back then that might have had an involvement. Both they and Gill were involved in building a banquet hall in 1844 for the Royal Agricultural Improvement Society exibition in 1845.

The Clonbrock papers are extensive so it'll take a bit of digging.

Will look for the book in the meantime. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Searching the 1911 census for ballinasloe occupation Hotel throws up:

Hayden Josephine Mary 45 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic ? Co Tipperary Hotel Proprietress Read and write - Single

In 1901 we see Josephine Mary and also her brother:

Hayden Michael Arthur 35 Male Brother Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Solicitor Read and write - Not Married -

Yeah I saw that. There was another hotel on the same street too. Where was that, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Yeah I saw that. There was another hotel on the same street too. Where was that, do you know?

I don't know the name. Here is the ~1900 25" OSI map showing both hotels. The one to the South end is Haydens, the other was the building in this Streetview.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The auld sod was the East County Arms Hotel when I was growing up (late 80s early 90s)

Advertisement