Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Championship

Options
  • 29-07-2019 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

English resident Andrew P. Smith (2147 FIDE) is the only player flying the Irish flag in the British Championship in Torquay.
    After 3 rounds (of 9) he is joint leader on 3/3 having so far beaten an FM and a GM (Chris Ward) and today IM Eggleston.
    So he will play Mickey Adams tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ishidaogo

I see that an Irish player Andrew P Smith is joint leader of the event
    with 3/3 and a performance rating of 3206.
    Surely the highest ever by an Irish player?
    He plays David Howell Gm tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

ishidaogo wrote: »
    I see that an Irish player Andrew P Smith is joint leader of the event
    with 3/3 and a performance rating of 3206.
    Surely the highest ever by an Irish player?
    He plays David Howell Gm tomorrow

Ah you are right. When I made my post only two players were on 3/3 but Ravi Haria reached 3 and he plays Adams. Smith gets the downfloat to the current British number one, hardly an easier pairing!

Possibly the highest score/Rp after 3 rounds by an Irish player but that would take a lot of checking.
    It should however be noted that C. H. O'D. Alexander (born in Cork) actually won the British Championship in 1938 and 1956.

Smith is on target for an IM norm if he can recover after the almost inevitable loss to Howell.

Unfortunately Andrew missed his chance to draw at move 27 when Howell made the wrong recapture.

Today he has White against FM Matthew Wadsworth (2418).

Unfortunately Andrew lost again and is on 3/5, still a good score. Today he has Black against Australian IM and chess author Gary Lane.

Advertisement